• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Toronto Blue Jays @ the Texas Rangers 5/16 - 5/18

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not a window to Holland. He'll be back before Perez even if he goes the rest/rehab route and it goes well. That's another reason why putting off the surgery seems foolish to me.

yeah you're right, I didn't realize how long he'd have to rehab.
I'm truly confused about why 'reportedly' they would ask him to wait

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has certainly taken a turn for the worse, both from an injury perspective and a production standpoint too. But, going into the year I don't recall any neigh sayers regarding the moves made, or the daily lineup we were going to put on the field.

Now there's some who wants to get rid of EA at mid-season. Ya know what? His trade value is a sack of beans at this point. He's been going backwards for well over a season with the bat, and he had no pop to begin with. Plus, he's owed about $100 mil. If you were another team, what exactly would you give up to get him?

Then there's the Nelson Cruz conversation which seems it will never end. Listen, I'm still mystified he got $8 mil and one year. Mystified. Don't understand why a guy who averages 32 HR, and 100 RBI over 162 games he plays isn't worth more. But obviously I was wrong and this ship has sailed. He didn't want to be here guys.

Now I see names like Gentry & Murphy being mentioned. I loved Gentry but he was a 4th OF. Terrific 4th OF but that's what he was. And poor Murphy was one step ahead of a lynch mob according to most on here last year; including me. He's having a fine season in Cleveland incidentally, with a .279 avg and 25 RBI. But who on here wanted us to resign him? I truly appreciated all Murph did for us, but the time for him to see another pasture was upon him.

For whatever reason (s) the shit train seems to have rolled through Arlington Texas. But going into the season, I had no complaints and sincerely felt this team could compete mightily with anyone. It just hasn't played out this way yet.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah you're right, I didn't realize how long he'd have to rehab.
I'm truly confused about why 'reportedly' they would ask him to wait

I trust JD a whole lot more than me. But this move has me puzzled. :scratch:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust JD a whole lot more than me. But this move has me puzzled. :scratch:

Agree about JD, I'm not really looking to second guess on this one. But I suppose I am.

In fairness to JD, I wouldn't be surprised if he, like everyone else is saying "What the.... is happening here? He's looking at the Yu window more than anyone.
I think he did what he could realistically during the offseason, it was a very good offseason considering the holes we had to fill. OF, Catcher, we needed some power, DH, a good lead-off. Sure, maybe another SP would have been nice, in case some of the injured guys didn't pan out. But IMO, he triaged the situation correctly, maybe perfectly.

Who could have possibly predicted these injuries? No one. it's like some existential sniper is just mowing these guys down

He might have wanted another 'proven' starter, DH... but he doesn't run the money show.
And we all know the "proven" starters are going for almost twice what we think they're worth, that's the new world, it's unlikely to change.

However, we don't need JD panicking even if it's somewhat understandable. (If that's what's going on, I don't know)
Let him get to the surgeon ASAP. A guy with a partial tear is not going to be able to turn things around or be the difference between a playoff spot with all the other factors added in.
But he could make a big difference in the second half next year.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would
Just go with the surgery if I was perez

I don't know who his agent is, but I hope he's telling a very young Perez the same thing.
Get it done, soon.

Oh, Olivo is the agent, right there in the OP, missed that.

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, I agree too.

If I had a say on what to tell the players that have higher ceilings offensively, (or all of them whatever, but it's the proven players that are likely to press too hard) it would be this simple.
Not "if you don't hit, we're finished" they already know that, then you probably see more pressing.
It won't work. Firing coaches during the season, might sound good...but it's likely to compound the problem

I would take the exact opposite approach with the pitching situation being what it is.
"Go out there, relax, have fun, stay positive and you'll start hitting, nobody needs to be the hero."

.500 or not, they start hitting, give the fans some entertainment...don't worry about any wildcard spot.
Just
play
ball

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and another thing I would tell them, don't read any press predicting doom if you don't hit...screw those guys.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has certainly taken a turn for the worse, both from an injury perspective and a production standpoint too. But, going into the year I don't recall any neigh sayers regarding the moves made, or the daily lineup we were going to put on the field.

Now there's some who wants to get rid of EA at mid-season. Ya know what? His trade value is a sack of beans at this point. He's been going backwards for well over a season with the bat, and he had no pop to begin with. Plus, he's owed about $100 mil. If you were another team, what exactly would you give up to get him?

Then there's the Nelson Cruz conversation which seems it will never end. Listen, I'm still mystified he got $8 mil and one year. Mystified. Don't understand why a guy who averages 32 HR, and 100 RBI over 162 games he plays isn't worth more. But obviously I was wrong and this ship has sailed. He didn't want to be here guys.

Now I see names like Gentry & Murphy being mentioned. I loved Gentry but he was a 4th OF. Terrific 4th OF but that's what he was. And poor Murphy was one step ahead of a lynch mob according to most on here last year; including me. He's having a fine season in Cleveland incidentally, with a .279 avg and 25 RBI. But who on here wanted us to resign him? I truly appreciated all Murph did for us, but the time for him to see another pasture was upon him.

For whatever reason (s) the shit train seems to have rolled through Arlington Texas. But going into the season, I had no complaints and sincerely felt this team could compete mightily with anyone. It just hasn't played out this way yet.

:agree:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a guy who has his baseball life plan in order:

Several years ago, when it was still his best pitch, Greinke simply stopped throwing his slider so much. He'd leaned heavily on the slider, even won a Cy Young Award riding it and his fastball, and then he'd go to bed with his elbow feeling somewhat "different," he said, or wake up the next morning that way, and one day decided this wasn't the best way to a long and successful career. Greinke, being Greinke, was perhaps just self-aware enough to change. He still throws plenty of sliders, but hopes to cap them at 15, maybe 20, per start, thereby balancing his desire to win with the hope to pitch again in five days.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

other than wishing the Rangers had added a SP during the off-season (and no, i didn't have any specific starter in mind ) i can't find anything wrong with your comment. i give it a 10

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Evan Grant, Fielder has had a stiff neck since 2013 that has gotten worse. He did not receive a physical when he was traded to the Rangers.

I'm not sure if I believe he didn't have a physical.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess it's true.

Daniels said Fielder and Kinsler were not given physicals as part of the trade in November, though the Tigers' and Rangers' medical staffs exchanged information.
Daniels said it wasn't something that the club likely would have discovered on a physical anyway and it didn't come up in his spring training exam.
"He had never been symptomatic, so I don't know that we would have done cervical X-rays and an MRI. That's not standard," Daniels said.

Just keep the bad news coming. JC I've never seen anything like this.

ecaravello

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondered at the time why JD and Levine didn't make a harder push for Abreu. Suppose they preferred the "safer" option in Fielder - which also accomplished the goal of moving Kinsler. Abreu decided on the White Sox rather quickly, nonetheless, the brain trust was counting on Fielder returning to form. That clearly hasn't worked out.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another injury: Prince Fielder has a herniated disc in his neck and is day to day right now.
I'm finding all of this hard to believe. We need our own reality show.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm finding all of this hard to believe. We need our own reality show.

As one of my favorite authors, James Kirkwood once said, "Sometimes a ton of elephant shit will just fall down your chimney for no good reason."

Insert Texas Rangers here.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Gallo may be promoted to Frisco in June.... if true, I'm going to more Frisco games. (Since I'm in mckinney...haha)