• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Play In 49er History

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, i'm old enough

Yes, it is The Catch for a reason and that's the history prior to that YEAR. The big Cowboy battles came after The Catch.
You must have forgotten 70, 71, and 72 when they lost in the NFC Championship game to Dallas twice and a divisional playoff game in 72 (the game that launched Roger Staubach's career)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno, those are tough decisions but as a GM you look ahead. You can't get too caught up in the past.

no one ever knows when the great ones lose it, but you can't keep them on for nostalgia. better to trade them too early than too late, else you get nothing but memories. But memories doesn't win FUTURE games.
Check out Montana's and especially Rice's stats after they wee cut; pretty damn good. Lott was losing it but Craig was pure vindictiveness. "Classless" might not be the word, maybe it "ruthless" that describes the organization in those days.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out Montana's and especially Rice's stats after they wee cut; pretty damn good. Lott was losing it but Craig was pure vindictiveness. "Classless" might not be the word, maybe it "ruthless" that describes the organization in those days.

Rice was a complete outlier. Montana was Montana but with a prime Young and a recovering Montana, it made sense, especially being given a 1st and 3rd for him. Craig was a head scratcher but Lott was working on reputation towards the end.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was all Bill Walsh. Walsh believed in replacing a player before their play begins to decline. Famous story once that Walsh called Randy Cross into his office. He told Cross that he would play 10 years in the NFL but Walsh only wanted his best 5 years. Montana was still Montana after he left. Rice was still good but no longer Flash 80. He was never the same after the knee injury. He was more of a possession receiver at that point. Was a good deal playing along Tim Brown.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember this one? Garrison Hearst says "Get off me!"