• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 quarterbacks all time

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My 2 biggest factors for the greatness of a QB are (1) efficiency and (2) postseason performances. Against the average, by a HUGE margin the most efficient QB to ever play (regular season) was Steve Young, and he was pretty great in the postseason. He just didn't play as long as the rest of 'em.

I also think John Elway is one of the most overrated QBs of all time; his regular-season numbers were actually BELOW AVERAGE for the seasons he played in the NFL. His postseason success makes him a HOFer IMO, but he's not one of the all-time greats IMO.

The last thing I mention when talking greatest QBs of all time is that Tom Brady doesn't deserve to be on those lists. Why? His team cheated in all of his SB-winning seasons. His legacy is tainted, and it always will be. It's as simple as that. Otherwise he's top-5 easy. That said, my top 5 QBs of all time in alphabetical order are:

Peyton Manning
Joe Montana <-- GOAT. 13 SB TDs, 0 SB picks; 95.6 postseason p. rating in era when u could play defense
Johnny Unitas
Kurt Warner
Steve Young

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
...by the way I'm pretty sure Aaron Rodgers will eventualy knock one of those names off of my list. In fact, of anyone currently playing in the NFL he has the best chance of being the greatest of all time.

...and the Niners drafted Alex freeking Smith. :doh:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...by the way I'm pretty sure Aaron Rodgers will eventualy knock one of those names off of my list. In fact, of anyone currently playing in the NFL he has the best chance of being the greatest of all time.

...and the Niners drafted Alex freeking Smith. :doh:

Not to mention Rodgers was a huge 49ers fan growing up. Cant blame the 49ers for passing on him as much as the next 20 teams though.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 biggest factors for the greatness of a QB are (1) efficiency and (2) postseason performances. Against the average, by a HUGE margin the most efficient QB to ever play (regular season) was Steve Young, and he was pretty great in the postseason. He just didn't play as long as the rest of 'em.

I also think John Elway is one of the most overrated QBs of all time; his regular-season numbers were actually BELOW AVERAGE for the seasons he played in the NFL. His postseason success makes him a HOFer IMO, but he's not one of the all-time greats IMO.

The last thing I mention when talking greatest QBs of all time is that Tom Brady doesn't deserve to be on those lists. Why? His team cheated in all of his SB-winning seasons. His legacy is tainted, and it always will be. It's as simple as that. Otherwise he's top-5 easy. That said, my top 5 QBs of all time in alphabetical order are:

Peyton Manning
Joe Montana <-- GOAT. 13 SB TDs, 0 SB picks; 95.6 postseason p. rating in era when u could play defense
Johnny Unitas
Kurt Warner
Steve Young

I agree with every single word...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing I mention when talking greatest QBs of all time is that Tom Brady doesn't deserve to be on those lists. Why? His team cheated in all of his SB-winning seasons. His legacy is tainted, and it always will be. It's as simple as that. Otherwise he's top-5 easy.

Yeah cause videoing from a unrestricted spot makes a diff. You even think they play the SB team twice in the same season?. Memo came out after 06 season and if my memory serves me right, their SB wins were prior. I could care less about spygate,bountygate,steroids,coaches walking on field, piping in loud noise etc etc. I think most teams did it and I dont live in a glass house. I enjoyed watching teams like 70;s steelers regardless of juicing, cause other teams were doing it. Most players talk privately about putting a bounty on a player they cant stand, say Ravens on Hines Ward etc. Too many queers here or Madden NFL virgins that drink mountain dew all day and live in moms basement

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not to mention Rodgers was a huge 49ers fan growing up. Cant blame the 49ers for passing on him as much as the next 20 teams though.

So was Brady. I remember listening to him on the radio the night before the draft saying how much he would love to play for the 9ers.

49ers Blog and Q&A: Brady still steamed over 2000 draft; (Niners fans, too, Tom)

"I remember sitting in my living room as the 49ers were drafting that day ... and seeing them pick a quarterback (Carmazzi) in the third round. I was so mad. Any time you grow up and look at a team, you grow to love that team, and I loved those players. I had gone to a whole bunch of those games growing up. I had Joe Montana and Jerry Rice on my wall. It will be nice to play them. I have been looking forward to it for a long time."

At least Alex was able to take them to the playoffs. Carmazzi is raising goats and never sniffed the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah cause videoing from a unrestricted spot makes a diff.

It does. Otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

You even think they play the SB team twice in the same season?. Memo came out after 06 season and if my memory serves me right, their SB wins were prior. ...most teams did it, and I don't live in a glass house.

They were videotaping the Rams back in 2001 & ever since then. They CONTINUED to do it AFTER the memo came out, which is why they lost draft picks. Let's not revise history.

Report: Source claims Patriots taped Rams before Super Bowl - NFL - ESPN

But all anyone has to say when they're caught doing something wrong is those two magic words: "glass house." Then everything's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were videotaping the Rams back in 2001 & ever since then. They CONTINUED to do it AFTER the memo came out, which is why they lost draft picks. Let's not revise history.

Not denying that at all. BB being arrogant get caught the very first game after the memo comes out and cost him $500k personally which he deserved but cost a first round draft pick which hurt the team. Tape from the right spots and not on sidelines and all is good. With technology and power of lenses, could film from anywhere and get same vantage point

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the worst part of 'Genius" BB was that it was doing it against his former DC Mangine who was aware of this practice. Eric ratted him out and BB aint no genius I guess. Football maybe, common sense NO!!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana
Unitas
Marino
Moon
Young

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana
Elway
Manning
Brady
Unitas

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how does Elway end up on so many of these lists? It will always be a mystery to me.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how does Elway end up on so many of these lists? It will always be a mystery to me.

Me too, might as well put Namath up there too...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The guy had basically crap on offense for years. Little running game and the 3 amigos ? Seriously ? Yet they were still regularly top 8 in offense while he dragged them to 3 SBs. The reason was Elway. People who watched him play back then know why. He's a perfect example of why you can't just look at the numbers in football.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top five(in no order of rank ,really) would be:
Montana
Young
Peyton
Unitas
Moon
A homer fan ....I know. I fail to see why Brady would make the top five as most every penalty goes his way(tuck rule). It was not Moons' fault he had to play in the CFL to make his numbers and fame for someone to see how great he really was. Unitas was the best in a League that didn't baby QBs as they do now.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy had basically crap on offense for years. Little running game and the 3 amigos ? Seriously ? Yet they were still regularly top 8 in offense while he dragged them to 3 SBs. The reason was Elway. People who watched him play back then know why. He's a perfect example of why you can't just look at the numbers in football.

Agreed. No matter how bad things got around him, he won games. He often would try to do too much and set his team back early in games and seasons, but he was a great closer.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana
Elway
Manning
Brady
Unitas

Johnny Unitas used to shit little Tom Brady's. Brady's not fit to lick his jockstrap.

image.png