• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 TE of all time

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just giving you facts. If I was being a homer I'd be arguing for Winslow #1
I am ok with you thinking one guy is better than another. (No one ever wins or sways the other in these types of arguments anyways) but to use your example as why is just crazy.

That would be like making a claim that the Cowboys Alvin Harper was better than most of the greats, because all he did was catch deep balls.

BTW I think you could make an argument for Winslow.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ok with you thinking one guy is better than another. (No one ever wins or sways the other in these types of arguments anyways) but to use your example as why is just crazy.

That would be like making a claim that the Cowboys Alvin Harper was better than most of the greats, because all he did was catch deep balls
Gates has almost twice as many TDs. For a receiving TE over a long period of time, that is noteworthy. Having a higher avg per catch is actually difficult when you are scoring so many more TDs. I think Gates is on a different level because of that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with that but when he has, he's been great and the best in the game.

Who has put up the best TE season of all time? Gronk, that's who. Who is the best TE to ever play the game? Gronk can GTFO until we're several more seasons in. Same with Lynch/Sherman/Thomas. Are we ready to crown these guys best RB/CB/FS in the NFL? No. Are they on that track? Yes.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gates has almost twice as many TDs as Witten and a better AVG per catch so it's fair to say he is a much better receiving threat

I believe they are looking at more than 1 area of expertise, that's what flew over Rex Racer's head.....
pass catching, blocking, route running, yac, and Td's are all taken into account....
They left HOF'rs and a triple SB winner off of that list, so you know it has to be more than pass catching or any single ability....:nod:

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witten is so underrated. The only flaw he has/had is he is not very athletic or fast so he is more of a possession guy. He has been an elite blocking TE his whole career. Witten is also an artist on third downs with his ability to find the hole and get a 1st down. I believe he has the record for most catches in a game and season for a te. I think alot of people forget about him because he is not that flashy and does not score many tds. I forgot to add Witten is also one of the toughest players I have ever seen. The dude played with a lacerated spleen and one of his most famous plays is keeping a play alive with no helmet.

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hers my top 10 since i have been a fan starting with the Bill/Giants Super bowl
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Jason Witten
3.Tony Gonzalez
4.Jay Novacek
5.Shannon Sharpe
6.Antonio Gates
7.Brent Jones
8.Jimmy Graham
9.Keith Jackson
10.Vernon Davis
A nice list but current players should not be considered until after they retire.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witten is so underrated. The only flaw he has/had is he is not very athletic or fast so he is more of a possession guy. He has been an elite blocking TE his whole career. Witten is also an artist on third downs with his ability to find the hole and get a 1st down. I believe he has the record for most catches in a game and season for a te. I think alot of people forget about him because he is not that flashy and does not score many tds. I forgot to add Witten is also one of the toughest players I have ever seen. The dude played with a lacerated spleen and one of his most famous plays is keeping a play alive with no helmet.
Witten is the go to guy in clutch situations.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has put up the best TE season of all time? Gronk, that's who. Who is the best TE to ever play the game? Gronk can GTFO until we're several more seasons in. Same with Lynch/Sherman/Thomas. Are we ready to crown these guys best RB/CB/FS in the NFL? No. Are they on that track? Yes.

no argument here.....

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We do agree. It's takes a career.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Witten is underrated. I'm old school I guess. I still separate the large receiver types like Sharpe, Gonzlez and Graham who are labeled TE's than those who are more about what the position is. i.e. Witten, Gronk, Mackey etc.

That doesn't mean Gonzalez doesn't belong in the HOF btw as do many of the others.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is people only see receiving stats, they tend to forget a key job for the TE is blocking. Not too many can match Witten as a total TE. Is the the best receiving TE? NO. If the only way you grade a TE is by how many catches and yards he's accumulated then Witten questionable top 10 but as a complete TE he is top 10.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do agree. It's takes a career.

:suds:

He's on his way though. Gronk is a freaking beast. I remember the draft thinking, "ugh.. if his back holds up, Pats just got a STEAL!" My friends (we do a draft party every year) nodded in agreement. Guy was a top 10 pick that fell cause of injuries.

I am glad Gronk shook off those injuries (mostly anyway) and got an extension. We need more of these stories. Guy falls in the draft because of injury and rebounds/pulls it off once getting a chance. I only wish Seattle's own Jesse Williams (guy is currently diagnosed with cancer :gaah:) was an exception like Gronk. Top 10 talent, just too many injuries.

In any event boys, pour a drink tonight or take a shot for.... eh whatever, just do it.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Jordan!