• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Free Agent Centers in 2016

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might just be the best crop of free agent centers we've had since the start of the new millennium.

The List:
  1. Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets) - He still has his share of haters, the fact is that Howard is still a top tier center in this league. He needs to distance himself from ballhog James Harden. He's always wanted to play with Deron Williams and Dallas may be best fit. Rick Carlisle has already made reclamation projects out of Williams, Raymond Felton, and to a lesser extent Charlie Villanueva, and could do wonders for Howard's career.
  2. Al Horford (Atlanta Hawks) - An all-star caliber player who does just about everything well, he ranks slightly behind Howard on this list. Is a better fit at center than at power forward. You'd be paying for reliability with him, as his past shoulder issues have proven to be fluky.
  3. Hassan Whiteside (Miami Heat) - Led the league with 3.7 blocks per game this season. Especially picked up his game after Chris Bosh went down, averaging 17.7 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 3.4 blocks per game after the All-Star break. Seems legit to me, but will he command too much?
  4. Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls) - His all-around game never in question, he needs to look to score more in order to remain in the discussion as one the top ten centers in the NBA today.
  5. Festus Ezeli (Golden State Warriors) - The backup center for the 73-win Warriors would be an intriguing option as a full-time player, as he averaged 15 point and 12 rebounds per 36 minutes during the 2015-16 regular season.
  6. Bismack Biyombo (Toronto Raptors) - A defensive menace. Averaged 5.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks per game backing up Jonas Valanciunas. Would be a good fit to return to Charlotte and replace...
  7. Al Jefferson (Charlotte Hornets) - His age (31) and injuries are starting to take its toll. Raised his game in the Playoffs (13.3 PPG, 6.0 RPG) as the Hornets unsuccessfully attempted to avenge their four-game sweep at the hand of the Heat two years ago, ultimately losing in seven. Jefferson needs to keep his weight down in order to prolong his career.
  8. Ian Mahinmi (Indiana Pacers) - Was thrust into a starting role after the Pacers traded away Roy Hibbert last summer, and Mahinmi responded with a career year, averaging 9.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and providing solid defense up the middle for the 45-win Pacers. An ideal backup, Mahinmi proved in 2015-16 that he could hold his own as a starter. Played the Playoffs with a balky back...
  9. Timofey Mozgov (Cleveland Cavaliers) - Mediocre production in 2015-16 (6.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG). Has sacrificed his role for the good of the team. After opening up his wallet last year for Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert, one has to wonder what Dan Gilbert has left for the likes of Mozgov and Dallavedova.
  10. Jon Leuer (Phoenix Suns) - Not a traditional center, but after injuries and ineffective play had struck in Phoenix, Leuer showed his value. The stretch big shot 38.2 percent from three and averaged 5.6 rebounds per game last season.

Other Notables:

- Zaza Pachulia (Dallas Mavericks) - For the first time since his pre-Al Horford Atlanta days, was a full-time player for the Mavs this season. Averaged a double-double for much of the season but tired toward the end, averaging just 5.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game after March 1st. Still a solid player, just not a 30-minute a night guy.

- Tyler Zeller (Boston Celtics) - Brad Stevens likes to shuffle with his rotations as we all know. Zeller was a part of it in 2014-15 (10.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG), but not so much in 2015-16. He's still a solid big who's light on his feet and can knock down a mid-range shot.

- Miles Plumlee (Milwaukee Bucks) - As boring an option as there is out there. A solid backup with six fouls to give and a capable spot-starter.

- Nene (Washington Wizards) - Still a top-notch backup center even as his athleticism fades. The longtime starting PF for the Wiz averaged 9.2 points and 4.5 rebounds per game last season.

- Roy Hibbert (Los Angeles Lakers) - His regular season production has been in clear decline the last four years. If he couldn't produce for the 17-win Lakers, one has to question if there's still a spot for him in the modern NBA.

- Chris Andersen (Memphis Grizzlies) - Does not want to be called "Birdman" anymore. Now 37, could he be up for a third stint in Denver?:clap:

- Mikki Moore (Golden State Warriors) - Oh wait, he's not in the league anymore. Sorry.

*Howard has player option worth $23,282,457 for the 2016-17 season.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Horford and Whiteside over Howard any day.

I wouldn't want that overrated, team chemistry killing diva on my favorite team, that's for damn sure.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might just be the best crop of free agent centers we've had since the start of the new millennium.

The List:
  1. Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets) - He still has his share of haters, the fact is that Howard is still a top tier center in this league. He needs to distance himself from ballhog James Harden. He's always wanted to play with Deron Williams and Dallas may be best fit. Rick Carlisle has already made reclamation projects out of Williams, Raymond Felton, and to a lesser extent Charlie Villanueva, and could do wonders for Howard's career.
  2. Al Horford (Atlanta Hawks) - An all-star caliber player who does just about everything well, he ranks slightly behind Howard on this list. Is a better fit at center than at power forward. You'd be paying for reliability with him, as his past shoulder issues have proven to be fluky.
  3. Hassan Whiteside (Miami Heat) - Led the league with 3.7 blocks per game this season. Especially picked up his game after Chris Bosh went down, averaging 17.7 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 3.4 blocks per game after the All-Star break. Seems legit to me, but will he command too much?
  4. Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls) - His all-around game never in question, he needs to look to score more in order to remain in the discussion as one the top ten centers in the NBA today.
  5. Festus Ezeli (Golden State Warriors) - The backup center for the 73-win Warriors would be an intriguing option as a full-time player, as he averaged 15 point and 12 rebounds per 36 minutes during the 2015-16 regular season.
  6. Bismack Biyombo (Toronto Raptors) - A defensive menace. Averaged 5.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks per game backing up Jonas Valanciunas. Would be a good fit to return to Charlotte and replace...
  7. Al Jefferson (Charlotte Hornets) - His age (31) and injuries are starting to take its toll. Raised his game in the Playoffs (13.3 PPG, 6.0 RPG) as the Hornets unsuccessfully attempted to avenge their four-game sweep at the hand of the Heat two years ago, ultimately losing in seven. Jefferson needs to keep his weight down in order to prolong his career.
  8. Ian Mahinmi (Indiana Pacers) - Was thrust into a starting role after the Pacers traded away Roy Hibbert last summer, and Mahinmi responded with a career year, averaging 9.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and providing solid defense up the middle for the 45-win Pacers. An ideal backup, Mahinmi proved in 2015-16 that he could hold his own as a starter. Played the Playoffs with a balky back...
  9. Timofey Mozgov (Cleveland Cavaliers) - Mediocre production in 2015-16 (6.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG). Has sacrificed his role for the good of the team. After opening up his wallet last year for Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert, one has to wonder what Dan Gilbert has left for the likes of Mozgov and Dallavedova.
  10. Jon Leuer (Phoenix Suns) - Not a traditional center, but after injuries and ineffective play had struck in Phoenix, Leuer showed his value. The stretch big shot 38.2 percent from three and averaged 5.6 rebounds per game last season.

Other Notables:

- Zaza Pachulia (Dallas Mavericks) - For the first time since his pre-Al Horford Atlanta days, was a full-time player for the Mavs this season. Averaged a double-double for much of the season but tired toward the end, averaging just 5.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game after March 1st. Still a solid player, just not a 30-minute a night guy.

- Tyler Zeller (Boston Celtics) - Brad Stevens likes to shuffle with his rotations as we all know. Zeller was a part of it in 2014-15 (10.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG), but not so much in 2015-16. He's still a solid big who's light on his feet and can knock down a mid-range shot.

- Miles Plumlee (Milwaukee Bucks) - As boring an option as there is out there. A solid backup with six fouls to give and a capable spot-starter.

- Nene (Washington Wizards) - Still a top-notch backup center even as his athleticism fades. The longtime starting PF for the Wiz averaged 9.2 points and 4.5 rebounds per game last season.

- Roy Hibbert (Los Angeles Lakers) - His regular season production has been in clear decline the last four years. If he couldn't produce for the 17-win Lakers, one has to question if there's still a spot for him in the modern NBA.

- Chris Andersen (Memphis Grizzlies) - Does not want to be called "Birdman" anymore. Now 37, could he be up for a third stint in Denver?:clap:

- Mikki Moore (Golden State Warriors) - Oh wait, he's not in the league anymore. Sorry.

*Howard has player option worth $23,282,457 for the 2016-17 season.

Agree with much of this.

The problem with Howard is that he thinks he can lead a team to a championship, he can't. If he wants a title, he needs to accept a 2nd fiddle type role. Thus far, he's been unwilling to do so.

What I saw from Hibbert with the Lakers is that he is no longer a starting quality center. He's just too slow. I think he has a lot of value as a backup though. I'd be perfectly happy if the Lakers grabbed a starting quality center in FA and kept Roy as a backup. From what I read and heard, he was a solid locker room guy all season. A team could put him in for 15-18 minutes per game and have him be very effective. The question is whether or not he will accept that role.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Howard is still better than all those guys.

Like any other player, he needs to fit in the right system.
Playing with ball-hogging guards like Kobe Bryant and James Harden is madness for his particular talents.

yes, he is a diva and at times a crybaby
Most pro-athletes go through diva phases or crybaby phase in fairness.

He was never going to work with those guys taking every shot and ignoring him.
If he goes to a pass-first point guard system, he can be a huge difference maker.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no deity known to man that could get me to give Howard a contract STARTING at $30mil.

Just...no.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit this is a good list and Hurricane has some points but no way does Dwight deserve the top spot, especially for the salary he's going to demand.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford is the best center on this list. Howard would be second, but a risky one. Whiteside is third and then there's a pretty significant drop off after that. Ezeli could be a starting center, but he's had to deal with a lot of injuries in his career.

Mahinmi, Jefferson and Biyombo are fringe starters. The rest should be reserves.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Howard is still better than all those guys.

Like any other player, he needs to fit in the right system.
Playing with ball-hogging guards like Kobe Bryant and James Harden is madness for his particular talents.

yes, he is a diva and at times a crybaby
Most pro-athletes go through diva phases or crybaby phase in fairness.

He was never going to work with those guys taking every shot and ignoring him.
If he goes to a pass-first point guard system, he can be a huge difference maker.

I disagree. Dwight is probably the most talented player on that list, but he is not the best player on it. He has the exact same strengths and weaknesses that he's had since his rookie season because he has no interest in improving.

When he was in LA, Kareem offered to help him with his post moves and even gave him his phone number. Dwight never called. Steve Nash who was a career 90%+ free throw shooter, offered to help him with his free throws. Dwight said no thanks.

Then, he went to Houston and everyone said that having McHale, one of the all-time great bigs as his coach and virtually unlimited access to Hakeem, would result in Dwight learning better post moves. Instead, McHale got fired and, to my knowledge, he has never worked with Hakeem.

Then, late in games, when he has no go to move where he can get a good shot anytime he wants and his inability to hit free throws can cost his team games, he pouts because he doesn't get the ball and/or has to be taken out of the game.

I'm not saying that a team with Dwight can't win a title, they can with Dwight as a #2 or #3 option. However, a team that is led by Dwight, isn't winning any titles. The problem is, he's never been willing to be a #2 or #3 option.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that a team with Dwight can't win a title, they can with Dwight as a #2 or #3 option. However, a team that is led by Dwight, isn't winning any titles. The problem is, he's never been willing to be a #2 or #3 option.

^^ THIS ^^

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit this is a good list and Hurricane has some points but no way does Dwight deserve the top spot, especially for the salary he's going to demand.

Totally agree.

From a historical talent standpoint, he ranks highest.

But, is he still that player because he hasn't shown it since Orlando?

Maybe he's lost a step, maybe it's because he played next to that blackhole, aka Harden.

I will say he will have suitors.

A Team like Dallas will pay him.

They have to do what they can to attract, keep their talent....especially after Parsons posted this picture entitled " No hard feelings", then promptly opted out.

upload_2016-5-2_10-29-52.jpeg

Did I mention that the Clippers were in desperate need of a sweet shooting sf? :lol:

He wouldn't DARE...

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt any team would want Howard, to much of a diva if you ask me.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's an over-simplification, but I understand the sentiment.

No team will take on Howard to be the man on the team. The ones who will go hard after him will have either a strong coaching presence of locker-room culture. Howard will get multiple offers from bad teams, but the good ones will be fewer and far between.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard would actually be a perfect fit for Milwaukee. He would get the touches he wanted, he would have a bunch of good perimeter players to help him and he'd help solidify their interior defense which was supremely lacking with Monroe.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone will offer him a big contract. It might be a non-contending team looking to put butts in seats, but someone will.

He could also find himself having to choose between a big contract from a non-contender or a smaller one from a contending team who thinks that their coaches can finally get through to him.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard would actually be a perfect fit for Milwaukee. He would get the touches he wanted, he would have a bunch of good perimeter players to help him and he'd help solidify their interior defense which was supremely lacking with Monroe.

1) Howard would cringe at the thought of playing for such a small market like Milwaukee.

2) That would be a very slow lineup with Howard and Monroe starting in the same frontcourt.

It's Dallas all the way. $20 million a year would be a good price for him. $30 million is asinine.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bucks need to call Parsons stat.

They don't need another guy who can't shoot.

But, they do need a defensive post presence since they can't depend on Henson for 82 games.

To bad Sanders cared more about blazing.

I like Howard to the Atlanta , Celtics or Mavs ...maybe Pelicans as a dark horse

Last edited:

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good list. Great to see Biyombo getting recognition. I would pass on Noah, Ezeli, and Pachulia though. All 3 of them are too injury prone and are about to run out of mileage.