• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I started foles over alex smith or cam newton today. I didnt expect that snowstorm. I tried to change it at 9:59 but the system wouldnt let me, foles -2.... Smith 16 at the half.

well Im out of the league after today god damn it

ok so Foles came back with a strong 2nd half. did me well. everyone else killed me boy am I getting slaughtered today...

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do buy into the idea that the quarterback is the most important player on the field, the player with the most control over his team's success. So yeah, RGIII's health is more important than any other player's. Especially considering the type of game he plays.

I will agree that having a good QB is vital to a team's success on the Offensive side on the ball, but that is not always the case, or the whole story.

A team can get away with having a sub-par QB as long as they have other factors that help them win. Ex. a strong defense and running game are just 2 examples.

There are plenty of examples in NFL history where a team has had success or won the Super Bowl without having a strong performance from their starting QB.

I'm not arguing that a QB isn't important, just the part of you saying that a QB has the most control over his team's success is all.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons lost! Never thought i'd be happy about a loss, but want that #1 pick! Lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that having a good QB is vital to a team's success on the Offensive side on the ball, but that is not always the case, or the whole story.

A team can get away with having a sub-par QB as long as they have other factors that help them win. Ex. a strong defense and running game are just 2 examples.

There are plenty of examples in NFL history where a team has had success or won the Super Bowl without having a strong performance from their starting QB.

I'm not arguing that a QB isn't important, just the part of you saying that a QB has the most control over his team's success is all.

Yeah, historically that's the case, and you can still get the perfect storm with a mediocre quarterback (a la the Ravens last year), but with the way the game's evolved, and the direction it seems to be heading, a top quarterback is your best bet at sustained success.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you sir, I've never actually purchased a bottle myself, but I've been lucky enough to sample it a few times (and it is the epitome of smooth).

Perhaps I'll get myself some when I graduate, as a gift from me to me.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, historically that's the case, and you can still get the perfect storm with a mediocre quarterback (a la the Ravens last year), but with the way the game's evolved, and the direction it seems to be heading, a top quarterback is your best bet at sustained success.

A top QB who is a pocket passer you mean. :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's nice to have a QB who is athletic or mobile enough to evade a tackle or pick up a much needed 1st down with his legs, but if his success as a QB is almost entirely dependent on him being a mobile QB, then that team is going to have a hard go at maintaining success.

I would think by now, most teams would realize that those types of QB's don't hold up very long, or have long term success. Just look at Vick.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But seriously, it's nice to have a QB who is athletic or mobile enough to evade a tackle or pick up a much needed 1st down with his legs, but if his success as a QB is almost entirely dependent on him being a mobile QB, then that team is going to have a hard go at maintaining success.

I would think by now, most teams would realize that those types of QB's don't hold up very long, or have long term success. Just look at Vick.

Woof.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons lost! Never thought i'd be happy about a loss, but want that #1 pick! Lol

That's going to be hard to do with the Texans firmly entrenching themselves in that spot.

Atlanta looks like they could win next week, and lose the next 2 games to end up 4-12.

If that's the case, then they will most likely wind up with the 4th or 5th pick, since I don't see them doing worse than the Bills, Skins, and perhaps the Vikes?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He doesn't have to be a pocket passer. Those guys tend to have more longevity because they take fewer hits, but a quarterback who delivers a good ball consistently and makes good decisions consistently is valuable whether he likes to run or not. In fact, the running dimension can make them even more dangerous.

Vick was unable to sustain success because, while his arm is very strong, he doesn't have the accuracy or decision-making. Russell Wilson is a good example of a very good quarterback who isn't just a pocket passer. He delivers an accurate ball, and that's why he succeeds.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's going to be hard to do with the Texans firmly entrenching themselves in that spot.

Atlanta looks like they could win next week, and lose the next 2 games to end up 4-12.

If that's the case, then they will most likely wind up with the 4th or 5th pick, since I don't see them doing worse than the Bills, Skins, and perhaps the Vikes?

I'll take a top 4 pick, gimme Clowney!!!

Also this Vikings/Ravens game is unreal

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to be a pocket passer. Those guys tend to have more longevity because they take fewer hits, but a quarterback who delivers a good ball consistently and makes good decisions consistently is valuable whether he likes to run or not. In fact, the running dimension can make them even more dangerous.

Vick was unable to sustain success because, while his arm is very strong, he doesn't have the accuracy or decision-making. Russell Wilson is a good example of a very good quarterback who isn't just a pocket passer. He delivers an accurate ball, and that's why he succeeds.

Just to be blunt then...give me a list of all the mobile type QB's who have won a Super Bowl.

And while I may get some heat for saying this, I don't consider Wilson a top QB. I strongly believe he's successful because of the team around him, not the other way around. I have seen a few games where he looked less than stellar, but the rest of the team covered up his weak play. He succeeds because the rest of the team is that good.

Again, that's just MY opinion on that.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Browns may just hold onto this game...

I am shocked.

With the way the Pats have come back in games in the 2nd half, I had no doubt they would do the same against the Browns.

Hats off to the Browns for holding on.

Status
Not open for further replies.