• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they are some fans that want to sit him, but I would have to imagine that many fans don't want to see him benched.

While I can understand the reasoning behind it, from a business and professional standpoint, it's a bad decision.

The Skins might as well just come out and say RGIII isn't the QB for them and draft a new one then if they did something like that.

Why? He's been playing at something less than 100% all year. The team has been bad. There are no more meaningful victories to earn. Why not put him on IR, let his body heal, and then try it again at full strength next season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can understand the reasoning behind it, from a business and professional standpoint, it's a bad decision.

Unless you've been a NFL GM or head coach, I don't know how you can say that with certainty. ;)

It would depend entirely on your ownership group. The Nats' owners were supportive of Mike Rizzo benching Strasburg last year. And while it was unpopular with some fans/players, he is well respected by his team/fans and is in no jeopardy of losing his job.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy bad tackling Cincy, the Colts are right back in it. 21-14

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I wouldn't, but that's because I buy into a more empirical, less testosterone-driven approach to decision making.

That is, if they fired me, they would be firing me for maximizing the likelihood that the team was in the best position to win for the longest possible time, but for defying the largely meatheaded approach they advocated.

The NFL is a business, and they want to make money. They also have to provide entertainment for the fans. If they decided to bench their Franchise QB, and the face of the team just because they aren't going to make the PO's, then shit is going to hit the fan.

People spend their money to see RGII play, and they buy up a lot of merchandise because of him. Tou also haveto look at what a decision like that would do to a team. It would tell the players that they can't win, and they can't win with RGIII as their QB.

What if the backup came in, plays well, and gets some wins? What now? Now you have a QB controversy which will open a whole can of worms.

If you are goingto sit a QB just because the team is going nowhere, then why not just sit ALL your starters? Are you saying RGIII's health is more important than anyone else on the team who is giving it their all?

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team that gives up that much to acquire a player, and spends that kind of money on him, better damn well play him every chance they get.

The fans would riot if they benched him the rest of the Season.

I disagree. When your investment is that large, you have to protect it and maximize value. Letting him get completely healthy before next year is the way to accomplish that.

You would last 1 day as a Head Coach or GM in the NFL making decisions like that.

Many of the fans here agree with sitting him at this point. Pretty sure they would understand the reasoning.

It's not b/c of his quality of play, it would just be a shame if something terrible happened to his knee for some meaningless games. His health is paramount to anything else at this point.

True, I wouldn't, but that's because I buy into a more empirical, less testosterone-driven approach to decision making.

That is, if they fired me, they would be firing me for maximizing the likelihood that the team was in the best position to win for the longest possible time, but for defying the largely meatheaded approach they advocated.

I'm sure they are some fans that want to sit him, but I would have to imagine that many fans don't want to see him benched.

The Skins might as well just come out and say RGIII isn't the QB for them and draft a new one then if they did something like that.

Why? He's been playing at something less than 100% all year. The team has been bad. There are no more meaningful victories to earn. Why not put him on IR, let his body heal, and then try it again at full strength next season.

Unless you've been a NFL GM or head coach, I don't know how you can say that with certainty. ;)

It would depend entirely on your ownership group. The Nats' owners were supportive of Mike Rizzo benching Strasburg last year. And while it was unpopular with some fans/players, he is well respected by his team/fans and is in no jeopardy of losing his job.

not-this-shit.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the game itself... man are we bad.

I think the chance Shanny loses his job/quits went from 40/60 to 70/30 today.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are going to sit a QB just because the team is going nowhere, then why not just sit ALL your starters? Are you saying RGIII's health is more important than anyone else on the team who is giving it their all?

Absolutely.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then I guess I could say that your opinion to sit him is equally flawed since you are not a GM or HC in the NFL either.

I can see you've now found your new "dead horse" to beat, so congrats on that I guess?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I guess I could say that your opinion to sit him is equally flawed since you are not a GM or HC in the NFL either.

I can see you've now found your new "dead horse" to beat, so congrats on that I guess?

You're telling people they are wrong instead of just explaining your opinion - exactly the same thing you complained about a few days back.

I thought using it a few times might illustrate how ridiculous it was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is a business, and they want to make money. They also have to provide entertainment for the fans. If they decided to bench their Franchise QB, and the face of the team just because they aren't going to make the PO's, then shit is going to hit the fan.

People spend their money to see RGII play, and they buy up a lot of merchandise because of him. Tou also haveto look at what a decision like that would do to a team. It would tell the players that they can't win, and they can't win with RGIII as their QB.

What if the backup came in, plays well, and gets some wins? What now? Now you have a QB controversy which will open a whole can of worms.

If you are goingto sit a QB just because the team is going nowhere, then why not just sit ALL your starters? Are you saying RGIII's health is more important than anyone else on the team who is giving it their all?

The easy workaround is to put him on IR. Baseball teams do it all the time with Rule 5 guys who aren't ready to play in the Majors, underachieving prospects with no options left, etc.

Just say there were some concerns with his health. It's easy enough to do.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A running back or receiver can put his hand to the face mask of a defender and there is no call, but if a defensive player does the same thing, there is a flag. I've never understood that.

Oh, and Cincy responds with a TD to make it 28-14.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easy workaround is to put him on IR. Baseball teams do it all the time with Rule 5 guys who aren't ready to play in the Majors, underachieving prospects with no options left, etc.

Just say there were some concerns with his health. It's easy enough to do.

Yeah, true. The complication here is this weird Shanny/RG3 relationship and all the rumors swirling around that including this morning's report that Shanny had packed up his office and was going to leave last year but thought it would look bad after the injury.

Like I sad... it's a hot mess.

Here are the only guys I'm sure will still be around next year - RG3 and Dan Snyder. :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do buy into the idea that the quarterback is the most important player on the field, the player with the most control over his team's success. So yeah, RGIII's health is more important than any other player's. Especially considering the type of game he plays.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're telling people they are wrong instead of just explaining your opinion - exactly the same thing you complained about a few days back.

I thought using it a few times might illustrate how ridiculous it was.

Show me where I explicitly said that anyone else's opinion was "wrong".

You are arguing your point of view the same way as I am. That's how debates work when opinion's are being stated.

Just accept the fact that I don't agree with you, without resorting to seeing into things that aren't there, and resorting to child like tantrums.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if his health is such an issue, and the team is going nowhere because of him, then why have him as the QB at all?

To fight another day.

I never said the team is going nowhere BECAUSE of him. We have WAY more problems than that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, true. The complication here is this weird Shanny/RG3 relationship and all the rumors swirling around that including this morning's report that Shanny had packed up his office and was going to leave last year but thought it would look bad after the injury.

Like I sad... it's a hot mess.

Here are the only guys I'm sure will still be around next year - RG3 and Dan Snyder. :L

Well that does complicate things, doesn't it? :think:

Fire Shanny for poor performance first, then put RGIII on IR. Everyone wins. (Well, everyone loses, but still.)

Status
Not open for further replies.