• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I like Montee Ball better than Lacy, actually. But I guess we'll see how they measure up in the NFL.

I don't know too much about Lacy, but I know about Ball. He's a great college back, but might not a great NFL back. That's not a knock on Ball, either, but he got a ton of yards behind a fullback+pulling linemen, and there aren't too many NFL teams running that offense nowadays. He had his best season when he had Russel "Why Didn't The Eagles Draft Him" Wilson to distract defenses from keying in on him, and while I wouldn't call Peyton Manning a downgrade there, Peyton is 37, so Ball needs to step up QUICK

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I liked Ball if Lacy was gone...both are similar type of runners. Of course, after doing research on Bell, he's a similar mold too. We'll see...there's GOT to be something that a lot of teams saw for Lacy to fall as far as he did. I thought the Pack would take him...in the first. I saw on twitter (not a great source) that teams questioned his passion for the game...but no way that's all it was. Must've been a bad interview or something.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but how do you know another team or two weren't also interested in EJ, and the Bills had to pull the trigger at 16?

In the past month or so, EJ's stock shot up dramatically, and rumors started flying around about how teams were showing some interest in him over QB's like Smith, Barkley, and Nassib.

Besides, the biggest need the Bills had to fill coming into this draft was getting a QB, and the Bills managed to get the guy they wanted while acquiring 2 extra picks in the process.

"Experts" were saying the Bills should take Smith, Barkley, or Nassib with the 8th pick, and look where those guys ended up.

Sometimes to win big, you have to take big risks.

Time will tell IPW but I like the pick. I've always said it's easy to say today it was a good or bad pick but it's always more accurate to judge it after a year or two.

Your earlier comment in this thread about how the Bills got ripped for picking C.J. Spiller at the time is proof of that.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell IPW but I like the pick. I've always said it's easy to say today it was a good or bad pick but it's always more accurate to judge it after a year or two.

To be honest, I think most people hate the pick simply because Mel Kiper & Todd McShay hate it. The Bills didn't adhere to their mock draft and rankings, so now that automatically means the Bills made a bad pick and had a horrible draft.

I mean seriously, they gave the Bills an overall grade of C- just because they took Manuel, even though they addressed the majority of their needs, and made some pretty solid picks.

Did you also see that the Bills signed WR Da'Rick Rogers? Aside from some off the field problems, this guy could have easily been one of the top 5 receivers in the draft.

The biggest remaining need for the Bills that they didn't address in the draft was a Guard to replace Levitre, but they just signed Zack Chibane from Syracuse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I think most people hate the pick simply because Mel Kiper & Todd McShay hate it. The Bills didn't adhere to their mock draft and rankings, so now that automatically means the Bills made a bad pick and had a horrible draft.

I mean seriously, they gave the Bills an overall grade of C- just because they took Manuel, even though they addressed the majority of their needs, and made some pretty solid picks.

Did you also see that the Bills signed WR Da'Rick Rogers? Aside from some off the field problems, this guy could have easily been one of the top 5 receivers in the draft.

The biggest remaining need for the Bills that they didn't address in the draft was a Guard to replace Levitre, but they just signed Zack Chibane from Syracuse.

I'm knocking the pick because my roommate went to FSU, so I saw a lot of Manuel, and often came away unimpressed. Even my roommate doesn't think Manuel is going to be a project.

The talent is there, but I think it would be best to have Kolb start this year while Manuel's mechanics are tweaked.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, my uncle (who lives and breathes the Steelers) told me what he finally heard in regards to why Lacy was passed up so often: he had a fusion done to his big toe (not sure what exactly that means honestly, unless it was at the joint where the toe meets the foot), and that scared teams off. In fact, Lacy wasn't even on the Steelers board.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm knocking the pick because my roommate went to FSU, so I saw a lot of Manuel, and often came away unimpressed. Even my roommate doesn't think Manuel is going to be a project.

The talent is there, but I think it would be best to have Kolb start this year while Manuel's mechanics are tweaked.

C'mon DS, didn't you watch that Sport Science video. The guy put up some excellent numbers and ranked about the same as Big Ben did. :suds:

I think with the right coaching, EJ is going to be the QB the Bills have been waiting years for. Even before the draft, Chip Kelly said that he would like the chance to get a QB like EJ on the Eagles, and he even tried to recruit him at Oregon.

Just look at how much his stock went up in the past 6 months and especially after being the MVP at the Senior Bowl. A lot of teams in the NFL were starting to take notice of him and that's why I think the Bills struck at #16.

But yeah, Kolb is most likely going to be the starter unless EJ really impresses during training camp just like what Wilson did to Flynn on the Seahawks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon DS, didn't you watch that Sport Science video. The guy put up some excellent numbers and ranked about the same as Big Ben did. :suds:

I think with the right coaching, EJ is going to be the QB the Bills have been waiting years for. Even before the draft, Chip Kelly said that he would like the chance to get a QB like EJ on the Eagles, and he even tried to recruit him at Oregon.

Just look at how much his stock went up in the past 6 months and especially after being the MVP at the Senior Bowl. A lot of teams in the NFL were starting to take notice of him and that's why I think the Bills struck at #16.

But yeah, Kolb is most likely going to be the starter unless EJ really impresses during training camp just like what Wilson did to Flynn on the Seahawks.

Being almost as good as Ben, to me, isn't a big testimony, since I don't think Ben's all that good. He leaves a lot of passes high, just like EJ.

I am surprised at his accuracy scores, though. Watching him in game, his accuracy was good enough, but no where near what he scored on those tests. The big red flag to me, though, was the lack of zip on some of his passes. It almost looked like he was throwing them soft on purpose, but you don't throw the deep out soft if you want to succeed with it.

He's an NFL talent, and I won't deny that he could be a good quarterback someday, but he'll need a good coach to break him of that bottom-of-the-ball release he has.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a pretty good endorsement. Time will tell but like you said when the draft doesn't go the way the "experts" predicted, they take it personally. I could fill a page of "This is a can't miss pick" by guy's like Kyper that makes him look foolish at times.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being almost as good as Ben, to me, isn't a big testimony, since I don't think Ben's all that good. He leaves a lot of passes high, just like EJ.

I am surprised at his accuracy scores, though. Watching him in game, his accuracy was good enough, but no where near what he scored on those tests. The big red flag to me, though, was the lack of zip on some of his passes. It almost looked like he was throwing them soft on purpose, but you don't throw the deep out soft if you want to succeed with it.

He's an NFL talent, and I won't deny that he could be a good quarterback someday, but he'll need a good coach to break him of that bottom-of-the-ball release he has.

I could be wrong and will Google the draft prospects but wasn't that what they said about Tom Brady?

Edit: Here is one report I found on Brady. Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point Boss. I wonder how many top NFL players were considered "risks" when they were drafted or signed?

The NFL is funny like that. A lot of players that should be successful turn out to be busts while no name or undervalued players suddenly shine once they make it to the NFL.

Some can't make the transition while others get the coaching they never had in college.

What is the percentage of 1st round picks that end up disappointing or become busts?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong and will Google the draft prospects but wasn't that what they said about Tom Brady?

Edit: Here is one report I found on Brady. Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Brady's biggest asset was arm strength. He played in bad weather at Michigan & never had a problem throwing the ball. Has Manuel ever seen snow in his life?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady's biggest asset was arm strength. He played in bad weather at Michigan & never had a problem throwing the ball. Has Manuel ever seen snow in his life?

Aaron Rodgers was born in Chico Cal and played for the Golden Bears in California.

Brett Favre was born in Mississippi played for S. Mississippi. I doubt that either played too many games in the snow but both did pretty good in Green Bay.

Has Manuel ever seen snow? I have no idea but if that's the biggest problem they have to worry about that's OK with me. It's really not that hard to get adjusted to.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that while it sure snows a lot in Buffalo, that doesn't mean it snows every day, and it's not like the other team doesn't have to deal with it either.

Buffalo gets its first inch of snow in a single storm an average of November 18, or right around week 11. Let's say that gives them 5 home games in the regular season with a chance for significant snow, because our hypothetical schedule makers are idiots, plus two more in the playoffs because the Bills are clearly going to get home field. Odds are pretty good you won't see snow on most of those seven days. And even if you do see snow on all seven, that implies that the snow isn't handicapping the Bills all that much if they have two games at home in the postseason despite all the snow they have!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers was born in Chico Cal and played for the Golden Bears in California.

Brett Favre was born in Mississippi played for S. Mississippi. I doubt that either played too many games in the snow but both did pretty good in Green Bay.

Has Manuel ever seen snow? I have no idea but if that's the biggest problem they have to worry about that's OK with me. It's really not that hard to get adjusted to.

Brett Favre upset Florida St. his senior year. He was the number 1 rated QB in his draft class.

Aaron Rodgers was considered worthy of the 1st overall pick coming out of Cal.

Manuel has the athletic ability to be a good QB in the NFL. My biggest question about him is how he sees the field. At Florida St. he only used half the field. He would make 2 progressions & if nothing was their he'd run the ball. How Manuel reads defenses will determine whether or not he becomes a good QB in the NFL. I hope he works out. I won't believe it until I see it though.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with a lot of people that I like Manuel as a Bill, I just hate where they took him.

I think they really could have drafted a top WR (Patterson) with the 16th pick and still had Manuel in the 2nd and could still have gotten Woods too.

I think he'll be good, but it was a HUGE reach to take him at 16. The fact that only Smith went in the 2nd and only Glennon in the 3rd is solid evidence that teams weren't all that interested in QBs this year.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow got cut by the Jets this morning too, BTW.

Not that anyone (other than the media) is likely to care.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope Tebow finds a spot. It would have to be a team where there is absolutely no question who the QB is and the media wouldn't overhype him. A team like Green Bay would be a good fit for Tebow in my opinion.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope Tebow finds a spot. It would have to be a team where there is absolutely no question who the QB is and the media wouldn't overhype him. A team like Green Bay would be a good fit for Tebow in my opinion.

hed be a great fit in dallas then... we dont overhype our QBs at all

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hed be a great fit in dallas then... we dont overhype our QBs at all

Unfortunately, that thought crossed my mind and I don't think it's all that unlikely to happen. If you thought the round the clock Tebow talk was bad with the Jets, can you imagine what it would be like after Romo's first 3 INT game?

Status
Not open for further replies.