• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manuel is a Virginia native, and said the cold weather doesn’t bother him.

“Ya know the cold isn't a problem, it's still football at the end of the day,” Manuel said.

When a reporter asked him about all of the snow in Buffalo, he replied, "Hey, I'll get my shovel."

EJ Manuel talks Buffalo weather | WIVB.com

Yet people would have been just fine with the Bills taking Smith or Nassib with the 8th overall pick? After all, that's what all the "experts" were thinking. Manuel was their guy from the start, and they managed to get him and picked up 2 more picks.

Any QB this year is a gamble, but the Bills desperately needed one, and they couldn't afford to let the one they wanted slip away. Now we play the waiting game

I don't believe there was a single QB in this draft class worthy of a 1st round pick. I hope Manuel proves me wrong.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe there was a single QB in this draft class worthy of a 1st round pick. I hope Manuel proves me wrong.

True, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't blame the Bills for taking him at 16.

They already traded down from 8 to 16, still got the QB they wanted while picking up 2 extra draft picks, and word on the street is that the Eagles or Jets would have picked him up early in the 2nd Round before the Bills could pick.

Chip Kelly tried to recruit EJ to Oregon, and said he would love to have him on the Eagles. EJ also said a few days before the draft that a few teams are really interested in him.

Drafting safe isn't always a guarantee either, so I can't fault them for taking a risk that might end up paying off for them down the road. We just have to wait and see now. It's not like the Bills can get any worse, right? :L

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ad10ccfccdc1f855b76cfad57b45dbe4-baltimore-ravens-2013-2014-team-photo.jpg

Okay, it made me laugh.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't blame the Bills for taking him at 16.

They already traded down from 8 to 16, still got the QB they wanted while picking up 2 extra draft picks, and word on the street is that the Eagles or Jets would have picked him up early in the 2nd Round before the Bills could pick.

Chip Kelly tried to recruit EJ to Oregon, and said he would love to have him on the Eagles. EJ also said a few days before the draft that a few teams are really interested in him.

Drafting safe isn't always a guarantee either, so I can't fault them for taking a risk that might end up paying off for them down the road. We just have to wait and see now. It's not like the Bills can get any worse, right? :L

The problem I have is who was available at 16. The Bills could have had Floyd, Eifort, Pugh one of the DB's or Patterson. They could have moved down to the 20 to 23 range & still gotten Manuel. The other thing is they have Kolb. It's not like he's an old man.

I really hope Manuel becomes the QB Bills fans can be excited about. Like you said we wait & see now.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have moved down to the 20 to 23 range & still gotten Manuel.

They need a dancing partner first, and I'm guessing none were available.

Bottom line is that if the Bills didn't take a QB in the 1st Round, people still would have lost their shit about it. Can't please everyone.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely an unbiased source on that one. :rollseyes:

I said the same thing at my last job interview.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a dancing partner first, and I'm guessing none were available.

Bottom line is that if the Bills didn't take a QB in the 1st Round, people still would have lost their shit about it. Can't please everyone.

The Bills could have traded back into the 1st round to get Manuel. I just think their were some really good players available that could have helped the Bills in a big way & they still could have found a way to get Manuel. Of course it doesn't matter now. They got their guy. If he works out, GREAT. Iff he doesn't the GM & Head Coach will be fired within 5 years.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they took EJ at 16 just so I can see Todd McShay lose his shit on a daily basis about it.

It's easy to attack a team going off the board with a draft pick when the team has been struggling the last few years. The Flames get ripped constantly by bloggers and on message boards for taking Mark Jankowski where they did in the 1st round last year. If it would have been the Bruins, Kings, Hawks, or Penguins taking him, it's probably no big deal (and the pundits dress it up as "they must know something we don't" or "it's a crafty pick").

Until the Flames and Bills earn respect by making the playoffs, the media will continue to take shots at them.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the Flames and Bills earn respect by making the playoffs, the media will continue to take shots at them.

Truer words have never been spoken! :suds:

Like I said before, the Bills were ripped on for taking Spiller at #8 a few years back, now those same people are saying that he's the most versatile and exciting back in the NFL today.

I could be wrong, but I believe McShay said that the Bills were smart to draft Losman in the 1st Round back in 2004? Oops!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills could have traded back into the 1st round to get Manuel. I just think their were some really good players available that could have helped the Bills in a big way & they still could have found a way to get Manuel. Of course it doesn't matter now. They got their guy. If he works out, GREAT. Iff he doesn't the GM & Head Coach will be fired within 5 years.

I'll be impressed if the coach gets that far. We've had 7 different head coaches since Marv Levy retired in 1997.

(In fairness, one was an interim coach only)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truer words have never been spoken! :suds:

Like I said before, the Bills were ripped on for taking Spiller at #8 a few years back, now those same people are saying that he's the most versatile and exciting back in the NFL today.

I could be wrong, but I believe McShay said that the Bills were smart to draft Losman in the 1st Round back in 2004? Oops!

Except for Chain Gailey. He keeps insisting Spiller is too tired to get more carries.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he was more focused on punting the ball from the opponents 35 yard line.

Chain Gailey knew his punter would pin them deep and his vaunted defense would hold them back there. He was playing field position. :L

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chain Gailey knew his punter would pin them deep and his vaunted defense would hold them back there. He was playing field position. :L

The Bills drafting a Kicker in the 6th Round might just be telling Lindell that he doesn't have the distance he needs to have in the NFL today.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to attack a team going off the board with a draft pick when the team has been struggling the last few years. The Flames get ripped constantly by bloggers and on message boards for taking Mark Jankowski where they did in the 1st round last year. If it would have been the Bruins, Kings, Hawks, or Penguins taking him, it's probably no big deal (and the pundits dress it up as "they must know something we don't" or "it's a crafty pick").

Isles fans still rip Garth for the Bailey pick. Heck, I still rip him for taking De Haan instead of Kulikov or Kassian. It's not Garth's fault De Haan has missed the past two seasons due to injury. It's really not even Calvin's. They've been flukey injuries.

Things will get better dash. This is a big draft coming up for the Flames. Feaster really can't afford to mess it up. Hopefully he gets every pick right. The Baertchi pick sure looks good so that's a plus.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda pissed off about how good the Philly teams are drafting this year. Eagles 4th, Flyers 11th (and WOULD have been 4-7th had they not won their last 4). Hopefully next year they draft last.

Alright, the Eagles have no chance in hell of drafting last but I can dream!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go DaBolts, a whole article about EJ Manuel and bad weather.

EJ Manuel's ability to handle bad weather evidently was a factor in the Buffalo Bills' decision to use their first-round draft pick on the quarterback.

Bills coach Doug Marrone revealed in an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio that Manuel impressed Buffalo's brass by throwing the ball well during an extremely windy thunderstorm at a private workout in Tallahassee, Fla.

Marrone said that Manuel's performance in the wet, windy conditions helped convince the Bills that the former Florida State star would be able to handle inclement weather in Buffalo, especially in December and January.

EJ Manuel impressed Buffalo Bills with good workout in bad weather - ESPN

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.