• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching MNF (a rarity for me) and had a question. If a fumble leads to an advantage, do they always allow it? Patriots just got a TD on a fumble - otherwise they probably would have been at the 10 yrd line. If there's no penalty, wouldn't there be cases where it would be worth it to intentionally fumble? Especially on fourth down, or the last play of the game? What's to stop you from just chucking it forward to a teammate and pretending you fumbled?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching MNF (a rarity for me) and had a question. If a fumble leads to an advantage, do they always allow it? Patriots just got a TD on a fumble - otherwise they probably would have been at the 10 yrd line. If there's no penalty, wouldn't there be cases where it would be worth it to intentionally fumble? Especially on fourth down, or the last play of the game? What's to stop you from just chucking it forward to a teammate and pretending you fumbled?

You can't intentionally fumble the ball forward anymore (that rule was put in thanks to the Oakland Raiders and the Holy Roller play).

Edit: Actually, you couldn't do it even when the Raiders did it, but it was ruled an actual fumble and not an intentional fumble by the zebras.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the NFL rulebook "an intentional fumble forward is a forward pass."

Besides, you can never be sure that the ball is going to bounce the way you want it to go. Too many variables involved to make it look legit and also have another player on your team come up with it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That TD by the Texans was pretty meaningless as far as the game is concerned, but for the gambling degenerates, it makes it over 51.5

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pizza:

I got a chuckle out of that.

The Houston @ NE game should be a good one tonight. I bet 100 Vcash on it (or 10,000 rupees) on NE, even though the points aren't that favorable.

I should have bet more...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have some special rules for fourth down and near the end of the game:

On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys for the rules lesson!

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really fucking hate the Patriots. The rest of the division just flat out sucks. A major contributing factor to why they are such a powerhouse. Not saying they're a bad team, but they definitely have it easy.

Fuck the Dolphins. Wish I could rewind to the Marino days.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens fired their offensive coordinator... in playoff position with 3 games to go?!? Seems kinda ridiculous and panicky. Especially since the offense has put up respectable numbers and it's not like Joe Falco is a world beater.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really fucking hate the Patriots. The rest of the division just flat out sucks. A major contributing factor to why they are such a powerhouse. Not saying they're a bad team, but they definitely have it easy.

Fuck the Dolphins. Wish I could rewind to the Marino days.

Only if I can do the same with Pitt.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens fired their offensive coordinator... in playoff position with 3 games to go?!? Seems kinda ridiculous and panicky. Especially since the offense has put up respectable numbers and it's not like Joe Falco is a world beater.

Baltimore is desperate. After losing last year in the AFC Championship game, I think many within their organization felt this was their year. Lewis is probably closing in on retirement, Suggs made a unreal return from an Achilles tear, Ray Rice is in his prime and Flacco is on an expiring contract.

The window is closing in Baltimore. They really were trying to lock down some home playoff games. As it stands now, they would only play one (afc wild-card game). If they can't get it figured out in the next three weeks, they might be on the outside looking in as soon as next season.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore is desperate. After losing last year in the AFC Championship game, I think many within their organization felt this was their year. Lewis is probably closing in on retirement, Suggs made a unreal return from an Achilles tear, Ray Rice is in his prime and Flacco is on an expiring contract.

The window is closing in Baltimore. They really were trying to lock down some home playoff games. As it stands now, they would only play one (afc wild-card game). If they can't get it figured out in the next three weeks, they might be on the outside looking in as soon as next season.

I agree that Lewis and Reeds' windows are closing, but I don't think that of the Ravens as a team. The were the better team in the AFC championship last year and proved it by beating the Pats this year.

Flacco will be retained and can play at a high level. Rice will obviously be around. They also have a pretty decent receiving core. That team is going to be making a change soon, but they will still have the weapons needed to compete.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You fuckers just won in '09 and '06. Shaddup.

edit: Sarcastic font, not really. :cool:

Greed - It's the American way.

EDIT: I was talking about the University of Pittsburgh. ;)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, makes sense. I'm just not sure losing the offensive coordinator with 3 games left makes sense for an offense that is #9 in the league. Seems to me their defense and injuries are the bigger problem. It often takes a year or more to adjust to a new offensive coordinator. Though I guess they'll probably just keep the scheme the same and give the QBs coach the playcalling job. Still, seems like a bad move to me.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Lewis and Reeds' windows are closing, but I don't think that of the Ravens as a team. The were the better team in the AFC championship last year and proved it by beating the Pats this year.

Flacco will be retained and can play at a high level. Rice will obviously be around. They also have a pretty decent receiving core. That team is going to be making a change soon, but they will still have the weapons needed to compete.

Time will tell, of course. I have a long time friend who is a huge Baltimore fan. He pointed out to me that the Ravens recent drafts haven't been very successful from a defensive standpoint. They were expecting quite a bit from Jimmy Smith, Terrence Cody and Sergio Kindle. All three were first or second round guys the past three drafts,and as he put it to me... "they're all bums".

I guess what he is most concerned about is the defense as a whole. This is an organization that has relied on exceptional play from the defensive side of the ball to keep them competitive. This season is an indication that those days are behind them. The advantage is moving to the other side of the ball.

They need to now rely on their offense to win football games. The scapegoat to this point had been Cameron. Now that he is gone, the magnifying glass is hovering over their QB, and rightly so. He has three weeks against three very tough opponents (Denver, NYG, Cin) to seal the deal.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:rockon::rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.