• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too many free agents.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hate to lose Pratt and Bates, love our D

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bates was drafted over, and at this point, the team isn't in the position to give him 13-14M a year.....He should have signed 2 years ago - and I'd be willing to bet that he'd have made more long-term money by signing then, as opposed to signing now. He shortened the back end of his playing years/money years significantly - especially by not playing at a top 5 safety level, IMO.

Pratt - just going to get paid too much. He wants to be a 3-down LB - and if Lou stays, I don't see that changing - and currently he's making about 1.4M from his rookie deal....he's going to get into the $8-10M range, IMO....too much for the Bengals. Especially when you have guys coming due such as Reader (who is a must re-sign) and Wilson (only 3-down LB on this roster, currently). If they sign Pratt (which I'm not against) they are essentially sealing the deal for Wilson to walk next year...not paying 2 LB's close to 10M a year with all of the other needs on this team coming due (not just defense, but offense, too - as Chase is due, and Karras and Capp will also be a year out, etc...etc....).

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with the idea that Burrow is going to leave money on the table. I'm not willing to say he won't - He's built a little differently than others. But, I also know that he sees himself as one of the best in the game and he owes it to himself and others at his position to receive market value. The last thing that we need to see is for Burrow to take significantly less than market and the Bengals pocketing the returns rather than investing heavily elsewhere.
I am in no way saying he will leave money on the table. I am saying I could see it. I know he is wired to win, maybe like Brady was, but don't think for a second he owes shit to other QB's in this league to get what he can so they can benefit. Fuck them.

He has to do what is in his best interest, and that may be taking the Bengals for as much as he can get. I will not blame him if he does, he is the guy we have waited our entire lives for to run this franchise at QB. You don't get guys like Burrow very often and in our case, for the first time in 50 years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no way saying he will leave money on the table. I am saying I could see it. I know he is wired to win, maybe like Brady was, but don't think for a second he owes shit to other QB's in this league to get what he can so they can benefit. Fuck them.

He has to do what is in his best interest, and that may be taking the Bengals for as much as he can get. I will not blame him if he does, he is the guy we have waited our entire lives for to run this franchise at QB. You don't get guys like Burrow very often and in our case, for the first time in 50 years.
Here is something I've never understood - I mean, I do, but at the same time...I don't.

You are a QB - you get the option to make $44M a year or $55M a year.....one helps the team secure other positions and ensures that it stays committed to winning and putting winning players around you. The other straps the team. It will have to rely on nailing the draft, F/A finds, and no real guarantee that they can surround you year in/out with the roster good enough to win.

I mean - how much do you need after that amount of money....LOL....of course, easy for any of us to say sitting here because that would be life-changing money - to them, it's like getting a $4 raise....good, but not life altering.

I agree - I don't see him taking a huge deal less, but I do see his desire/drive to win is evident, and he seems to know/accept that others around him have to be paid if he wants to win...this is going to be very, very interesting.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I say the above statement is true about any big time F/A - you are either about winning or getting paid. You can't be both.

I think there is a huge narrative to keep driving salaries up - so when a top tier guy hits the market - the reliance is on them re-setting the market for everyone else...but, I'd rather win titles...that's the only thing that matters at the end of the day, to me. I'm going to make MILLIONS of dollars either way....I'd rather be the 5th paid guy with a couple of rings, division titles, winning teams - than the #1 paid guy struggling on a team to finish 9-8 every year, with hopes of getting lucky enough to "make a run" one year, or two....

But again...easy to say sitting here...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I say the above statement is true about any big time F/A - you are either about winning or getting paid. You can't be both.

I think there is a huge narrative to keep driving salaries up - so when a top tier guy hits the market - the reliance is on them re-setting the market for everyone else...but, I'd rather win titles...that's the only thing that matters at the end of the day, to me. I'm going to make MILLIONS of dollars either way....I'd rather be the 5th paid guy with a couple of rings, division titles, winning teams - than the #1 paid guy struggling on a team to finish 9-8 every year, with hopes of getting lucky enough to "make a run" one year, or two....

But again...easy to say sitting here...
It is easy for me to say personally, because I am me, and I know me and I could care less about getting $50 million versus $25 million. I would never spend that money.

If I won a lottery for $100 million, I would pay my 50% taxes. And then give away 80% of that to charities that I feel are important, and then live my life not worrying for money. I am not one who travels a lot. I am not one that has expensive taste. All I desire is spending time with my wife with a very non-complicated life.

Now, I am not Burrow, I don't have the same desires I am sure, and I am sure the more he makes the more he can give to charities, which I do not fault that approach either. His agent takes a big cut, the government takes a big cut, players are expected to do community involvement stuff and most start charities that their initial seed starts, etc. There are so many hands in the wallet, that I can appreciate a guy getting what he can get.

I just know me, I don't care about money nearly as much as happiness and my faith. When you look back on your life at the end, what are the things you are going to remember the most? How much money you made, or how much you enjoyed your life and the accomplishments you were able to attain and be remembered for?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something I've never understood - I mean, I do, but at the same time...I don't.

You are a QB - you get the option to make $44M a year or $55M a year.....one helps the team secure other positions and ensures that it stays committed to winning and putting winning players around you. The other straps the team. It will have to rely on nailing the draft, F/A finds, and no real guarantee that they can surround you year in/out with the roster good enough to win.

I mean - how much do you need after that amount of money....LOL....of course, easy for any of us to say sitting here because that would be life-changing money - to them, it's like getting a $4 raise....good, but not life altering.

I agree - I don't see him taking a huge deal less, but I do see his desire/drive to win is evident, and he seems to know/accept that others around him have to be paid if he wants to win...this is going to be very, very interesting.
I think a lot of this question has to do with the players' perceptions and mistrust of the owners. The owners work with the players union to set the salary cap percentage. For obvious reasons, the players often feel that they give too much profit back to the owners. One thing that can drive cap increases is for teams to struggle with cap issues and as a result they struggle on the field. Rather than spend wisely to the cap some of the more wealthy owners will just demand that they re-set the cap or come up with rules that can circumvent the spirit of the cap..... Either way, this will drive up player salaries. Now, if we create a culture where players take less money it could create a scenario where there is less demand for changes to be made that will be reflect in player pay. To combat this issue, players have consistently pushed a dialogue through the union that owners are not to be trusted..... Players are told that it isn't their job to build the roster - It is the owners job. And in a lot of ways this is completely true.... Good owners figure out a way to pay key guys and still create depth and the cap keeps expanding anyway, so your deal that wasn't team friendly in year 1 now is team friendly in year 4. Anyway..... I believe there is a lot of pressure on all players to take market value - Just like the players say when one of their key teammates leaves in FA or is cut for salary cap purposes, "It's just part of the business." Fans want these guys to be altruistic but there really isn't that much incentive.

One more point..... People always bring up Brady when this topic comes up. Yes, Brady probably should have commanded more money. No, NE didn't put together some sort of magical roster due to his unselfish behavior. The minute Brady left town that team was exposed for having a very mediocre roster.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of this question has to do with the players' perceptions and mistrust of the owners. The owners work with the players union to set the salary cap percentage. For obvious reasons, the players often feel that they give too much profit back to the owners. One thing that can drive cap increases is for teams to struggle with cap issues and as a result they struggle on the field. Rather than spend wisely to the cap some of the more wealthy owners will just demand that they re-set the cap or come up with rules that can circumvent the spirit of the cap..... Either way, this will drive up player salaries. Now, if we create a culture where players take less money it could create a scenario where there is less demand for changes to be made that will be reflect in player pay. To combat this issue, players have consistently pushed a dialogue through the union that owners are not to be trusted..... Players are told that it isn't their job to build the roster - It is the owners job. And in a lot of ways this is completely true.... Good owners figure out a way to pay key guys and still create depth and the cap keeps expanding anyway, so your deal that wasn't team friendly in year 1 now is team friendly in year 4. Anyway..... I believe there is a lot of pressure on all players to take market value - Just like the players say when one of their key teammates leaves in FA or is cut for salary cap purposes, "It's just part of the business." Fans want these guys to be altruistic but there really isn't that much incentive.

One more point..... People always bring up Brady when this topic comes up. Yes, Brady probably should have commanded more money. No, NE didn't put together some sort of magical roster due to his unselfish behavior. The minute Brady left town that team was exposed for having a very mediocre roster.
NE had one hell of a defense in the time that Brady was there also. So while they did put a few guys there to help Brady, where they really stuck their money was on offensive line and defense. That really helped Brady a lot.