• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Love the team captain wearing the green sticker helmet last year? Seems like having a guy with that experience alone could be valuable. I think he led the Giants in tackles last year and it wasn't close. I would imagine he would be a great addition to the defense. Here is the ESPN depth chart for Seattle as it stands right now:
View attachment 324802
I'd imagine Love will be the mainly starting SS and Adams will be a roving type guy. I'd imagine our four primary "LB'ers" are Wagner, Brooks, Nwosu, and Adams. So we need a NT and some rotational strength for our DE's in the first two rounds. There is a good amount of depth for edge guys in this draft and some NT talent that will be available after Carter is off the board. Getting some late round depth for corners would be awesome as well. Then we need a WR/RB, and help on our interior line.

I really hope we trade down with that #5 pick. If we could trade down twice and ultimately turn that pick into 4 or 5 2nd rounders, I would be ecstatic. There is a lot of talent to be had in the 2nd round this year when looking at the trenches.

If Anderson is gone, I 100% agree. If Anderson is there along with Richardson and some team (Titans) offer us a ridiculous package... do I skip Anderson? EHHHHHHHHHHHHH................... might just do it!

We DEFINITELY gotta fill out the NT position and continue to bolster the front 7. EDGE is not that terrible with Mafe/Taylor and even Robinson could be something... that's where I get a little weird with Anderson... but I can't give it anything other than an A+ if we snag him. I mean any one of the linebackers go down and we're basically fucked as well.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Anderson is gone, I 100% agree. If Anderson is there along with Richardson and some team (Titans) offer us a ridiculous package... do I skip Anderson? EHHHHHHHHHHHHH................... might just do it!

We DEFINITELY gotta fill out the NT position and continue to bolster the front 7. EDGE is not that terrible with Mafe/Taylor and even Robinson could be something... that's where I get a little weird with Anderson... but I can't give it anything other than an A+ if we snag him. I mean any one of the linebackers go down and we're basically fucked as well.
What do you think about these DT's in the draft? Most will be available in the second round.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about these DT's in the draft? Most will be available in the second round.

It's a pretty steep drop off after Carter (lot of 3-4 and EDGE talent). Smith and MAYBE Bresee/Kancey offer something but almost ALL 3 are not 3 down starters... which I get... the NT and DT position is becoming more and more a rotational position... Bresee offers no pass rush, Kancey will rely entirely on his football IQ cause the athleticism is not there AT ALL (LJ Collier 2.0 sorry), Smith will have to not eat himself out of the league, and Carter has some concerns around the mental aspect. No doubt in my mind Carter can be good if he wants to be, whether he does is an open area...

You got some later guys like Ika, etc.... but it's an EDGE/QB dominated class with some small value grabs at various positions (CB/WR/RB-Bijan namely). There's actually a number of pretty good guards in this draft. I know we just spent picks on two OTs (who both started) and spent money (although lol worthy) on Brown, but I would not be opposed to looking at a guard or if we do trade down someone like Skoronski (yes I know he's listed as an OT but that guy is going to end up a guard or center - and likely be dominant at it).

So maybe I get where a lot of people are saying Carter. Because there is a MASSIVE drop off of talent after him. It's not even close. That said... is Carter really going to try? Who knows. I've gotten off the Carter wagon but if we draft him I certainly can't give it a horrible grade. Just not what I'd prefer but that means nothing as I'm certainly no expert in how to build an NFL team lol (I'd put myself... in the "that guy with a 'sometimes nice' opinion category" LOL).

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some QBs make great strides. Some fall behind.

Because he's so raw he is at least 1 or 2 or maybe 3 years away. Using a No. 5 pick on a player that MIGHT be good in 2-3 years is a lot of risk.
That risk isn't worth it in my view needing defense. I'm thinking/hoping it's a smoke screen trying to entice another team to move up and give up their first for next years draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That risk isn't worth it in my view needing defense. I'm thinking/hoping it's a smoke screen trying to entice another team to move up and give up their first for next years draft.

Tennessee ding ding ding!

Hopefully we can take their 2024 1st rounder because if they draft (and start) Richardson that'll be another top 10 pick (IMO). And with the 11th the draft REALLY opens up. We can likely take Skoronski and make our OL absolutely ridiculous (Cross, Lewis, Brown, Skoronski, Lucas? Jesus Christ - draft whoever the F you want in 2024...), or Van Ness improving the DL, or supplement Lockett/Metcalf with Njigba or Johnston. And gonna throw out a bit of a dark horse here, don't be surprised honestly if we snag Jack Campbell... I know it's not a name mentioned here much, but Campbell is a great zone ILB defender and he has the size to bulk up and clearly stick out as a 3-4 ILB threat.

Campbell doesn't really project well to a pass rush 3-4 ILB, but he would on paper fix one of the biggest problems with the defense, the ability to fuckin' cover and zone over the middle of the field by the linebackers.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee ding ding ding!

Hopefully we can take their 2024 1st rounder because if they draft (and start) Richardson that'll be another top 10 pick (IMO). And with the 11th the draft REALLY opens up. We can likely take Skoronski and make our OL absolutely ridiculous (Cross, Lewis, Brown, Skoronski, Lucas? Jesus Christ - draft whoever the F you want in 2024...), or Van Ness improving the DL, or supplement Lockett/Metcalf with Njigba or Johnston. And gonna throw out a bit of a dark horse here, don't be surprised honestly if we snag Jack Campbell... I know it's not a name mentioned here much, but Campbell is a great zone ILB defender and he has the size to bulk up and clearly stick out as a 3-4 ILB threat.

Campbell doesn't really project well to a pass rush 3-4 ILB, but he would on paper fix one of the biggest problems with the defense, the ability to fuckin' cover and zone over the middle of the field by the linebackers.
If we could trade with Tennessee to the 11. It would be amazing to get their 2024 first, and this year's 2nd. Then, at 11, possibly trade down again into the 20's and pick up another 2nd. We would still have two 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders!!

Could get a top DL, DE, OG/OC, and have 3 other picks for best player available.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we could trade with Tennessee to the 11. It would be amazing to get their 2024 first, and this year's 2nd. Then, at 11, possibly trade down again into the 20's and pick up another 2nd. We would still have two 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders!!

Could get a top DL, DE, OG/OC, and have 3 other picks for best player available.

Trading down to 11 might make sense. Trading down to the 20s does not. At 11 we have a chance at one of Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Carter. In the 20s, the top 5-8 lineman are probably gone.

We don't want to draft 15 players.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading down to 11 might make sense. Trading down to the 20s does not. At 11 we have a chance at one of Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Carter. In the 20s, the top 5-8 lineman are probably gone.

We don't want to draft 15 players.
If Carter us available at 11, then I'd think we pull the trigger, but there is a deep group of edge rushers. They won't all be gone by the 20's

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't mind staying at 11 to be honest (and I doubt we're getting their 2024 1st and 2023 2nd - but if possible hey, even better).

That said, at 11 you can get a pretty decent EDGE or Guard/Center hybrid or WR, or you take a flyer on Jack Campbell which fills a MASSIVE need for ILB given Bobby is probably a 1 year solution and we should keep his snaps from being 100%. I kind of wonder if Seattle is going to snag Campbell and move back to do so... I think it would surprise a lot of folks because I haven't seen one mock project it, but it fills probably the most glaring need on the team at the moment outside of NT.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind staying at 11 to be honest (and I doubt we're getting their 2024 1st and 2023 2nd - but if possible hey, even better).

That said, at 11 you can get a pretty decent EDGE or Guard/Center hybrid or WR, or you take a flyer on Jack Campbell which fills a MASSIVE need for ILB given Bobby is probably a 1 year solution and we should keep his snaps from being 100%. I kind of wonder if Seattle is going to snag Campbell and move back to do so... I think it would surprise a lot of folks because I haven't seen one mock project it, but it fills probably the most glaring need on the team at the moment outside of NT.
The possibilities are endless, which is why I love this draft. This is going to be a very long 18 days!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading down until we miss out on the elite players is how we ended up in the hole we are in
Trade down to 11 if it nets us a Future first, otherwise take the best defender.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading down until we miss out on the elite players is how we ended up in the hole we are in
Trade down to 11 if it nets us a Future first, otherwise take the best defender.

I get the logic of getting more bites at the apple but top 10 picks have a considerably higher hit rate than late 1st round picks. Which is why the No. 4 pick is worth nearly as much as the bottom 3 picks in the 1st round.

Assuming we don't go QB, which I don't think we will, I would be pretty disappointed if we don't wind up with one of Anderson, Carter, Wilson, or Murphy.

Reactions: MrS

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Brooks might miss all of 2023... Schneider compared Brooks' timetable to Rhattigan. Rhattigan tore his ACL in December and didn't play until the following December (Brooks tore his basically at the same time).

Can't say I feel great going in with Bush/Wagner... I wonder if Seattle will target Campbell with the first 2nd or maybe even the 20th. Least we don't have to watch Brooks get routinely burned in coverage all season.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Brooks might miss all of 2023... Schneider compared Brooks' timetable to Rhattigan. Rhattigan tore his ACL in December and didn't play until the following December (Brooks tore his basically at the same time).

Can't say I feel great going in with Bush/Wagner... I wonder if Seattle will target Campbell with the first 2nd or maybe even the 20th. Least we don't have to watch Brooks get routinely burned in coverage all season.
im ready to move on from brooks, dude is the epitome of average in every way

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im ready to move on from brooks, dude is the epitome of average in every way

He's SLIGHTLY above average against the run, but one of the worst coverage ILBs in the league (literally looks lost at times) and really offers nothing in the pass rush. And now after his injury... I wonder if Seattle will even pick up his 5th year option. I think it'd be $12M in 2024, I don't see Seattle taking that on. I think we're going to see if Bush/Adams can actually turn things around and then draft someone early for ILB (again Campbell fits the bill nicely).