• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was actually solid last year, led the Rangers minor leagues in RBIs though the 12 Hrs were disappointing he hit .283

I think you're thinking of 2014
You may be right. Now that I think of it he may have started down the first part of the year and then got things going after that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin with a solid outing. 5ip/4h/1R/4K/1BB/1HR

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin with a solid outing. 5ip/4h/1R/4K/1BB/1HR

Thats good, and w Chi Chi's outing today, things are looking better. I'm hopeful the rest of our pitchers have similar outings over the next week or so. The last week, aside from Derek's start, it has been a bit concerning. I haven't been ready to start hand wringing, but glad to see better results as the start of the season is approaching quickly.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats good, and w Chi Chi's outing today, things are looking better. I'm hopeful the rest of our pitchers have similar outings over the next week or so. The last week, aside from Derek's start, it has been a bit concerning. I haven't been ready to start hand wringing, but glad to see better results as the start of the season is approaching quickly.

Don't take too much from spring training games. Several experts picked the Cubs to be in the World Series and their spring record is atrocious.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take too much from spring training games. Several experts picked the Cubs to be in the World Series and their spring record is atrocious.

They are certainly a legit contender. That offense is scary for a NL club.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For teams looking to add a last-minute veteran starter, Kyle Lohse has become an attractive option.

The 37-year-old held a showcase, and the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles,Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds were among teams that attended, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. Lohse posted a 5.85 ERA in 37 games (22 starts) with the Milwaukee Brewers last season, but his strong numbers and durability for four consecutive years prior to that is surely what has teams interested in his services.

Not much interest from me, he was absolutely terrible last year in the NL. I am afraid he would be total dumpster fire in the AL. Lots of times when it goes, unless there was some type of injury or something, it just aint coming back

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 24, 2016 9:49 am
Rangers' Derek Holland: Fans seven in strong spring start
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Derek Holland fanned seven batters in five scoreless innings against the Cubs on Wednesday.

Holland became the first Texas pitcher to pitch five innings this spring and needed just 61 pitches, allowing four hits and a walk.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' A.J. Griffin: Continues his rotation bid.
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com
Griffin will make a start against the Athletics on Thursday as he continues his bid to be the fifth starter, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports.

Griffin remains in a competition with Nick Martinez, Jeremy Guthrie and Chi-Chi Gonzalez. He's allowed four homers in just 9.1 innings this spring, but has walked just one and fanned nine.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Chi Chi Gonzalez: Gets start Thursday as audition continues
Gonzalez remains in contention for the final spot in the Texas rotation in advance of his start against the Reds on Thursday, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports.

Gonzalez has failed to impress this spring, allowing seven runs on 12 hits in 8.1 innings. He has also issued four walks and zero strikeouts, which has long been an issue for Gonzalez even during his brief initial success last season.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notes on the UI position

Rangers' Pedro Ciriaco: Job battle heats up with strong spring
Pedro Ciriaco has played his way into the utility infielder competition with a 1.036 OPS through 42 at-bats.

Ciriaco is competing with Hanser Alberto, with Alberto having an advantage of a spot on the 40-man roster, but Texas may ultimately elect to have Alberto play every day at Triple-A Round Rock and have the veteran Ciriaco remain in the majors. Neither player is expected to have a large role once the season begins.

Share: Twitter Facebook
March 24, 2016 12:57 pm
Rangers' Hanser Alberto: Battles Pedro Ciriaco for utility role
Alberto enters Friday's game hitting .351 in 37 at-bats as he continues to battle Pedro Ciriaco for the utility infielder role.

Alberto actually trails Ciriaco in the race strictly from a numbers' perspective, with Alberto's .351/.342/.514 (37 at-bats) slash line trailing that of Ciriaco's .500/.488/.548 (42 at-bats), though Alberto has the advantage of being on the 40-man roster already and time spent with Texas last season. Neither player is expected to see much action once the season begins however.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are certainly a legit contender. That offense is scary for a NL club.

If they can pitch they will be tough. That Maddon is an interesting guy as well, always kinda liked him. Real bear cubs even make me like him more. I would love to beat the Cubs in the WS.

IMPORTANT: The Cubs have actual cubs in camp Friday

By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

March 25, 2016 1:02 pm ET

Earlier this week, Cubs manager Joe Maddon brought a mime to spring training to keep his club loose and make sure they're having fun. Baseball is a kid's game, of course.

Maddon is no stranger to having fun in camp, and on Friday he may have brought in his most appropriate spring guest yet. He had actual cubs in camp. Literal bear cubs. Check it out (photo via Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune on Twitter):

RizzoCubs032516.jpg

Adorable. Anthony Rizzo and the cubs.

The two bear cubs are about three and a half months old. Friday was their first time on grass and they spent the day flopping around and playing with each other and Cubs players.

Here's some video of the cubs in action:

Props to Rizzo for staying calm and collected as the cub crawled between his legs. That's, uh, unnerving.

Now for some team photos:

Let the record show: bear cubs > mimes

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 24, 2016 9:49 am
Rangers' Derek Holland: Fans seven in strong spring start

Derek Holland fanned seven batters in five scoreless innings against the Cubs on Wednesday.

Holland became the first Texas pitcher to pitch five innings this spring and needed just 61 pitches, allowing four hits and a walk.
I will take that every time. Got confidence in the lad.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much interest from me, he was absolutely terrible last year in the NL. I am afraid he would be total dumpster fire in the AL. Lots of times when it goes, unless there was some type of injury or something, it just aint coming back

No cause for celebration here, that's for sure. But it never hurts to keep your eyes open, kick-the-tires, and see what may be available.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No cause for celebration here, that's for sure. But it never hurts to keep your eyes open, kick-the-tires, and see what may be available.

Yeah could be something left but last year didnt look good at all. I took him in a later round in a fantasy league, so I followed him pretty close. It was an abomination!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took him in a later round in a fantasy league, so I followed him pretty close. It was an abomination!

Nothing like having that "hands-on" disappointment to bring the point home eh? ha ha

I thought we had at least 4 guys who would/could compete for the #5 spot. And the mere fact JD is looking around shows he's not thrilled with whats transpired in ST to date.