• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into ST we knew we'd have a smei-crap-shoot with our #5 position. It's turned into more of a crap-shoot than I expected for sure.

But outta our 4 starters who we could count on, the one I was most concerned about was Holland. Now it's Perez. What's happened to his mental toughness which he exhibited so well in 2013? Back then, I thought this was one of his strongest attributes. Today it seems to have vanished.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into ST we knew we'd have a smei-crap-shoot with our #5 position. It's turned into more of a crap-shoot than I expected for sure.

But outta our 4 starters who we could count on, the one I was most concerned about was Holland. Now it's Perez. What's happened to his mental toughness which he exhibited so well in 2013? Back then, I thought this was one of his strongest attributes. Today it seems to have vanished.
Overall, I think he has shown a great deal of mental toughness.

I think sometimes the media plays up this angle a bit too much. Grant and especially Fraley are very hard on younger players in their criticism. Norm is the same way at times. I take what they say with a grain of salt. Sometimes their bias shows in their comments.

Perez came up through every level of our organization as being one of the youngest at each level and somehow didn't let that overwhelm him and that is impressive to me. He seemed very poised to start his big league career. He overcame a huge injury setback and pitched fairly well when he came back. Yet our local media plays up the angle that he is immature emotionally.

I was one of Martin's biggest critics at one time and he has made a believer out of me.

Last edited:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're doing a lot of hand wringing over nothing. Same as I've always said about holland.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one of Martin's biggest critics at one time and he has made a believer out of me.

I had great confidence in him a few years ago. And I even cut him slack for last year due him coming back from a serious injury.

But last time out, he seemed to lose his concentration when a mistake was made behind him.

So it concerns me. I'm not going nuts about it. Just concerned.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good interview going on with Prince and Norm right now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked his take on the issue of kids in the clubhouse. Saying having kids in the clubhouse was a stress reliever and that it helped to keep things in perspective.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had great confidence in him a few years ago. And I even cut him slack for last year due him coming back from a serious injury.

But last time out, he seemed to lose his concentration when a mistake was made behind him.

It's spring training.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is part of the learning curve.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear Norm's comments yesterday about his conversation with Josh Hamilton about both of their knee problems?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's been a common issue with him over the years, once mistakes happen he seems to lose his composure and focus, starts to overthrow, needless to say he's prone to the big inning

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked his take on the issue of kids in the clubhouse. Saying having kids in the clubhouse was a stress reliever and that it helped to keep things in perspective.

I follow him on Instagram. His sons feature prominently and it seems as though he really enjoys them being around.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok alright to be concerned but if he loses it in reg season I will go nuts. Ha

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did think Perez got over it and last year we may give him an injury pass but yeah. No regression please

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens to him quite often in the regular season too

Just saying, big picture it's not really something to get too turned up about.