• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Roster Version 4.0: Sorting through some really complicated stuff | SportsDay

What's changed: A.J. Griffin replaces Jeremy Guthrie
What's changed: Phil Klein becomes the eighth reliever.
What's changed: Alberto replaces Pedro Ciriaco
What's changed: Drew Stubbs is out

Not at all surprising changes,

AJ Griffin throws strikes and as long as he doesn't walk guys, giving up the occasional HR doesn't hurt as much

Guthrie is Guthrie and I believe both will require a 40 man move, so I think we'd better served with youth in that scenario and maybe Griffin becomes the long man or replaces Lewis (if Griffin is pitching well and Lewis isn't) in the rotation and Lewis becomes the long man/spot starter

Only reason is I like Ciriaco over Alberto is that he plays essentially everything but catcher, and that's key for a short bench, even if he doesn't excel at any of them defensively, its only a plus that he has a better bat than Alberto as well

Not sure I like Klein as the long man but meh, I'd probably trust whoever they picked as worthy

No problem with Stubbs going away, he might take a minor league contract if no one else wants him

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Surprise, Surprise: Rough Outing For Lewis, Banister Mixes Up The Lineup
Here is Sandler's guess at who fills out the bench which he thinks will probably start with 3 guys, but for most of the season will have 4 guys.

My three: Gimenez, Alberto, and Rua.

My four: Gimenez, Alberto, Rua, and Stubbs.

My three: Gimenez, Ciriaco, and Rua.

My four: Gimenez, Alberto, Rua, and Stubbs

5th starter: Griffin

8th reliever: Klein (short bench) mostly b/c I don't care if he sits for long periods of time

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning towards Griffin as our 5th starter. Dude used to drive me nuts when he pitched for Oakland

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm agreeing with you and Bennie. Seems only logical.
Actually, I have no idea at this point what they will do. The list that I gave was actually Jared Sandler's picks.

I am thinking we may be surprised at who they go with at catcher and it really looks like Rua is sticking, but other than that I don't really have a strong feeling.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher is a flip of the coin but Nicholas is optionable. Rua makes the roster. I like Stubbs and Alberto better defensively and we are going to have to open a roster spot to add a pitcher IMO most likely Griffen. Justin R will be let go unless they keep him up and not add either Guthrie or Griffen. That is an unlikely scenario. Cash comes into play between Ruggliano and Rua too. But really Rua earned the spot and can play first better. So you open up the roster spot by losing Justin. That is my guess. Shame cause Justin is a nice local guy who did charity work during the Rowlett tornado. But of course we still have almost 2 weeks for this to play out and injuries can always be a factor. That is my thought process.

Josh is in the equation but he will be in a minor league rehab stint and we shall see if he fully recovers. I anticipate us not being too sentimental re Josh.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only hope if Rua makes he roster he doesn't rot on the bench 5 days a week. I like him a lot and I could see him being a better right handed version of Moreland. I really would like to see him fulfill his potential with us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only hope if Rua makes he roster he doesn't rot on the bench 5 days a week. I like him a lot and I could see him being a better right handed version of Moreland. I really would like to see him fulfill his potential with us.
I am afraid that that will be what happens with Rua. I think his numbers will suffer because of the lack of consistent playing time. Consequently, his favor on boards like this one will suffer as well. At some point in his career he will get consistent playing time and I think whichever team he is on at the time will benefit from giving him that. It is very rare when young guys can put up good numbers without consistent playing time. Just about every young player that we have had that came up and performed well did so in conjunction with getting consistent, just about everyday, playing time.

Unfortunately, Rua's best chance of doing well would require an injury to someone. Ironically, his injury last year is the reason he needs that to happen to someone else for him to have success this year.

I guess there is one other unlikely scenario that might give him more playing time. If the Rangers get desperate enough for a 5th starter I guess they could trade Mitch to a team for that pitcher and install Ryan as the everyday first baseman. I think that pitcher would need to have options left so we could send him down eventually. Maybe a young pitcher with at least one option who is better than Chi Chi or Martinez. It is hard to see that happening with Griffin here though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am afraid that that will be what happens with Rua. I think his numbers will suffer because of the lack of consistent playing time. Consequently, his favor on boards like this one will suffer as well.

I'm not sure what is going to happen with him and his playing time.

But what about this? 15 games in LF, 10 in RF, 35 at 1st, 4/5 at DH and all of this without considering anyone getting hurt.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what is going to happen with him and his playing time.

But what about this? 15 games in LF, 10 in RF, 35 at 1st, 4/5 at DH and all of this without considering anyone getting hurt.
That is still only about 65 games over a full season. That is not consistent enough for a young player to put up good numbers. I cannot recall a young Rangers player getting that amount of playing time over the course of a season who performed well. I once got into a bit of a disagreement with Norm Hitzges about this subject and asked him to name me a young Rangers player who had success in this kind of a role and he couldn't name anyone. Of course he didn't back down from his side of the argument even though he couldn't name anyone. lol

Not saying it never happened before, but I sure can't come up with any former or current Rangers player that it has happened to. It either never happened for us or it is extremely rare.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers 2016 playoff odds

Baseball Prospectus released their playoff odds today, and they give the Rangers just a 15.0% chance of winning the division, and a 24.7% chance of making the playoffs. The Astros are the heavy favorites in the division, being given a 44.7% chance of winning the West, with the Mariners coming in at 27.6%. Houston and Seattle are given a 58.5% and 42.0% chance of making the playoffs, respectively. Both Oakland and Anaheim are projected to finish similarly, with each being at around 11% at making the playoffs and a little over 6% to win the West.

Meanwhile, Fangraphs is even less optimistic about the Rangers in their playoff odds -- they put the Rangers' chances of winning the division at 10.2%, fourth in the West, and barely ahead of the A's (9.0%). Fangraphs gives the Astros a 50.7% chance of winning the division, followed by the Mariners at 18.8%, and the Angels at 11.3%.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers 2016 playoff odds

Baseball Prospectus released their playoff odds today, and they give the Rangers just a 15.0% chance of winning the division, and a 24.7% chance of making the playoffs. The Astros are the heavy favorites in the division, being given a 44.7% chance of winning the West, with the Mariners coming in at 27.6%. Houston and Seattle are given a 58.5% and 42.0% chance of making the playoffs, respectively. Both Oakland and Anaheim are projected to finish similarly, with each being at around 11% at making the playoffs and a little over 6% to win the West.

Meanwhile, Fangraphs is even less optimistic about the Rangers in their playoff odds -- they put the Rangers' chances of winning the division at 10.2%, fourth in the West, and barely ahead of the A's (9.0%). Fangraphs gives the Astros a 50.7% chance of winning the division, followed by the Mariners at 18.8%, and the Angels at 11.3%.

Yeah, cause they really nailed it last year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is still only about 65 games over a full season.

This was kind of my "worst case scenario" for him really. It just looks like he may have an opportunity to get legitimate PT, albeit all over the diamond.

I don't want to get into the "potential" negatives/what-ifs of Desmond struggles, MM gets hurt, or for that matter, if Moreland shows he once again is not ever going to hit his weight against lefties, then Rua may pick up 60+ games at first if he proves worthy at the position.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was kind of my "worst case scenario" for him really. It just looks like he may have an opportunity to get legitimate PT, albeit all over the diamond.

I don't want to get into the "potential" negatives/what-ifs of Desmond struggles, MM gets hurt, or for that matter, if Moreland shows he once again is not ever going to hit his weight against lefties, then Rua may pick up 60+ games at first if he proves worthy at the position.
What kind of batting average do you think he puts up if he plays 65-75 games over the course of the season for us?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of batting average do you think he puts up if he plays 65-75 games over the course of the season for us?

.255 ish, with 45 ish RBI. What are you thinking?

Both games are on FSSW today starting at 3 PM.