• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were easily 50 players in uniform when I was there two years ago. It was mid-March at that time.

Thank you!

I was thinking about 50 would almost be minimal.

It makes me insane sometimes about the Fan. They are just like dogs-off-the-lease when it comes to research, and frankly, it borders on ineptitude. The only station I've ever listened to which is worse is their sister station in San Antonio.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a matter of time till he's down again even if he does get healthy.

Exactly.

Hamilton would be crazy, maybe this has been previously established, to retire due to having about $45 mil headed his way. But it wouldn't shock me in the least to see the Rangers, sooner than later, cut him, yet tell him "if you are not picked up by another team, we'll do our best from a counseling/treatment standpoint to stand by you."

Is this conceivable?

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you!

I was thinking about 50 would almost be minimal.

It was pretty crazy, actually. At one point there were two simultaneous games being played on the back fields between Rangers players and Royals players, while another group took BP and fielding drills and then another group threw in a bullpen. All were minor leaguers and none were the big name prospects. If you were to tell me there were 70 Rangers players total in uniform, I'd have no trouble believing that.

On a side note, we stood next to Mike Maddux for a good hour while he observed the pitchers. Darren Oliver was there too, and Pudge was there for a short while observing some of the hitters. The amount of unfettered access the Rangers let the fans have in Spring Training is indescribable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis is going to be on the Ticket around 11:20.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some notes on the Norm Hitzges interview with JD.

Beltre--Mutual interest between both parties in continuing the relationship. The timing is unclear.

Roster battles or decisions to be made. 5th spot in rotation & how the bench and bullpen is structured. The schedule with not many off days makes them lean toward keeping an extra pitcher for now.

They intentionally didn't bring in some long term free agents to keep from blocking some of the prospects.

Not expecting to bring in another catcher.

Norm mentioned how not much leaks out of the organization ahead of time before a move is made. JD says it isn't something that is discussed within the organization. It just happens because of the people they have in the organization.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis is going to be on the Ticket around 11:20.

Actually, it wasn't an interview at all. It was a semi-fun/semi-time-waster of baseball trivia which Donovan recorded yesterday. The only thing worth repeating is, EA had no idea how far it is between the bases.

But Jon Daniels was on right after that in a real interview, and:
  • He didn't want to discuss the Beltre negotiations. But it is an extension they are discussing, and this year won't be rolled into it.
  • We open with 14 straight games, so he "kind of indicated" going heavy with the BP to begin the season.
  • Catcher.......door isn't closed, but nothing is eminent. Spoke highly of Nicholas' growth.
  • He acknowledged there was some concern, early on, he may get axed by Tom Hicks. And he specifically mentioned the Adrian Gonzalez "move."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm mentioned how not much leaks out of the organization ahead of time before a move is made. JD says it isn't something that is discussed within the organization. It just happens because of the people they have in the organization.

Now, just how-in-the-hell did you post 5 minutes earlier than me when the moment JD left, I hit send. I'm listening via the Internet.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, just how-in-the-hell did you post 5 minutes earlier than me when the moment JD left, I hit send. I'm listening via the Internet.
Haha. I was typing my notes as the interview went along and when it turned to the nonsense, but fun stuff I realized the important part was over and posted then.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough outing so far for Lewis. I am ready to get the season rolling. Will be glad also when Darvish is back on the mound. Not feeling good about the depth of our SP right now. But that is just me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brinson and Gallo go deep in a minor league game. Brinson also has a double.