• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua leads the Rangers this spring in extra base hits with 7. The next best is several guys tied with 3 each.
Will have to wait and see but Rua is having a deserving look see.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of hand wringing over a 5th starter who probably won't even have the job in June. Especially when we have at least two pitchers who've proven to be able to at least to a manageable job of holding the spot down for a few weeks at a time.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you want a dumpster fire every 5th day, especially in division where every game will matter at the end

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do people think of A.J Griffen?

If he pitches well in his last couple starts and everyone else remains hurt or a dumpster fire, then he's got a shot at the #5 spot, and I would be ok with that, he'll only need to make a handful of starts anyway, and not be terrible in doing so

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a rash of starting pitching injuries I can definitely see that. If we lose any starting pitcher but Colby they would be very hard to replace. If we can avoid losing one of our top 4 pitchers we should be in a good position when October rolls around. Not that Colby would be easy to replace, but we could probably survive losing him and pick up another #5.

Just don't want to play the blue Jays in the playoffs again. I hate that team.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked a few days ago, "since I've never been to ST and some of you have, can you tell me approximately how many players are in uniform when camp breaks?"

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked a few days ago, "since I've never been to ST and some of you have, can you tell me approximately how many players are in uniform when camp breaks?"
Never been either, but I would bet it's gotta be over 50 right? Cause you have the guys on the 40 and the non roster invitees.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been either, but I would bet it's gotta be over 50 right? Cause you have the guys on the 40 and the non roster invitees.

This seems about right to me. I was guessing somewhere between 48 and 55.

The reason I'm wondering is, on 105.3 over the weekend I heard one of those guys say, "probably about 35, but no more than 40." And this just doesn't sound adequate to me. But someone's gonna come through with a more definitive answer.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems about right to me. I was guessing somewhere between 48 and 55.

The reason I'm wondering is, on 105.3 over the weekend I heard one of those guys say, "probably about 35, but no more than 40." And this just doesn't sound adequate to me. But someone's gonna come through with a more definitive answer.
How the hell do you have split squad games with 35 eligible players?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The minor league camp is right there also so if you include them you will have well over 100.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers send Jurickson Profar to minors confident he will be back

“I don’t really have any questions at this point,” general manager Jon Daniels said. “He just needs to go out and play. I think he’s tested the shoulder, and now it’s just a matter of getting his body conditioned to play every day. That will come. From where we were a year ago, we couldn’t be happier with where he is.”

“He showed me that he doesn’t look like he’s been out for two years,” Andrus said. “I don’t think people realize how hard it is to be back on the field and do everything 100 percent again after missing two years. He looks good, especially his arm. We know he’s going to catch up. He impressed me a lot.”

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers send Jurickson Profar to minors confident he will be back

“I don’t really have any questions at this point,” general manager Jon Daniels said. “He just needs to go out and play. I think he’s tested the shoulder, and now it’s just a matter of getting his body conditioned to play every day. That will come. From where we were a year ago, we couldn’t be happier with where he is.”

“He showed me that he doesn’t look like he’s been out for two years,” Andrus said. “I don’t think people realize how hard it is to be back on the field and do everything 100 percent again after missing two years. He looks good, especially his arm. We know he’s going to catch up. He impressed me a lot.”

Seems forever ago he hit a homer in his first major league AB....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Josh Hamilton Problem

Really well written and thought out piece regarding our impending decisions regarding Hamilton by Brandon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers’ starting rotation still can’t count to five

It won’t be enough this year to shrug that it’s only the No. 5 starter and whoever it is will be confined to a cameo role.

When presented Monday with that disclaimer, manager Jeff Banister responded with a valid explanation of why this year, especially after last year, it wouldn’t be prudent to start the season 8-16.

“Here’s the deal,” Banister began before launching into a discussion of off days (there are only two in April this season) and rest days.

“I think it’s important that we find the best fifth starter option that we have, so that it protects our bullpen and gives us an opportunity to win ballgames.

“The last thing we want to do is dig ourselves a hole like we did last year. You can do it once, but to ask your ballclub to do it twice is a great challenge. And it’s not how we want to start.”

Harking back to how the franchise treated some previous Aprils, Banister said, “I wouldn’t think it would be an extended tryout, no.”

By now one of the pitching candidates should have gripped his teeth around the No. 5 job with few signs of letting go.

Instead, there was Banister after Monday’s loss, rendering a polite, but not glowing assessment of Guthrie’s performance.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were easily 50 players in uniform when I was there two years ago. It was mid-March at that time.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really well written and thought out piece regarding our impending decisions regarding Hamilton by Brandon.

If they feel is he blocking any of those players when they are ready, his ass will be gone in a heartbeat. I don't see any point in keeping them on the active roster unless they are ready and playing everyday. Also don't really see the PR angle playing that much at all so that is not much of a problem at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the news that Hamilton is much better now does that change the thinking that is the crux of the article. I know he mentioned that Josh was pain free before, but wasn't that previous time the result of a cortisone shot? I know with Josh that you can never get your hopes up, but is it wise to assume that his knee will never allow him to play the OF on more than a very limited basis?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the news that Hamilton is much better now does that change the thinking that is the crux of the article. I know he mentioned that Josh was pain free before, but wasn't that previous time the result of a cortisone shot? I know with Josh that you can never get your hopes up, but is it wise to assume that his knee will never allow him to play the OF on more than a very limited basis?

Not particularly. It's just a matter of time till he's down again even if he does get healthy.