• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense really sputtered in the other game. Only 1 run and 15 strikeouts including 2 each from Beltre and Gallo.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling (barring injury) that Profar spends a good chunk of this season in AAA

I bet you are right on this one. Kid has missed a lot of baseball and probably needs a bit to get re-acclimated.

Desmond is a wild card, playing LF for the first time on an extended basis and his struggles from last year

DDJ might not cut it in CF, and will his offense continue to be solid enough in the leadoff spot

Moreland and his health issues and struggles against LHPs

But as Romeo said, these things have a way of working themselves out

Catcher seems like a position they are constantly trying to improve, and we'll see if Chirinos can continue the solid work

Out of all our positions on the field 3B, SS, 2B and RF are the most secure due to financial commitments/production

I might be jumping the gun on Desmond, but I have been really impressed with him this Spring. I agree on everything else you said, especially catcher. Chironos showed he could have an arm last year though and he certainly got his share of key hits/hrs when we needed them despite not being to impressive offensively. Still room for improvement. Will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Norris.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you are right on this one. Kid has missed a lot of baseball and probably needs a bit to get re-acclimated.

I might be jumping the gun on Desmond, but I have been really impressed with him this Spring. I agree on everything else you said, especially catcher. Chironos showed he could have an arm last year though and he certainly got his share of key hits/hrs when we needed them despite not being to impressive offensively. Still room for improvement. Will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Norris.

I'm a Desmond supporter but there should be obvious skepticism offensively... and defensively its up in the air, I think he can do it but proof is in the pudding

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just thinking what happens when Hamilton is healthy? He very well may ride the bench

IMO, if/when he gets 85% + healthy, he's gonna get time in LF. You can't have him sitting on the bench, taking up a spot on the 25 man roster, and not give him a chance to contribute. That's a wasted spot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Versatile Ryan Rua making push to make Texas Rangers’ roster

Whatever it was that happened in October, when Ryan Rua packed away baseball for the rest for the year, it was done after consulting with the Texas Rangers’ general manager and without reserving himself a room in the manager’s doghouse.

It was far more innocent than what has been portrayed. Rua went to Arizona at the club’s request to continue workouts in case he was needed at some point in the postseason. He then passed on a chance to play in the Arizona Fall League to catch up on at-bats after an injury-marred season, but he had perfectly reasonable reasons.

Rua was about to become a husband and a homeowner, and his wisdom teeth need to be extracted, all things that are a big deal even for baseball players. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that Rua wanted to get 2015 as far out of his mind as he could.

Never before had he been through a season so loaded with expectations only to come no where close to matching them.

So, he punted, and it might turn into the best decision of his career.

With his head cleared and his ankle healthy, Rua is one of baseball’s hottest hitters this spring. He took a .500 average (12 for 24) into the opener of the Big League Weekend at the Alamodome on Friday, and he also took his first baseman’s glove.

That glove could ultimately be what gets him to Globe Life Park for Opening Day as the Rangers look to versatile players as they attempt to shape their bench to open the 2016 season. If that means playing only a few times a week at multiple positions, Rua said that he’s ready.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Versatile Ryan Rua making push to make Texas Rangers’ roster

Whatever it was that happened in October, when Ryan Rua packed away baseball for the rest for the year, it was done after consulting with the Texas Rangers’ general manager and without reserving himself a room in the manager’s doghouse.

It was far more innocent than what has been portrayed. Rua went to Arizona at the club’s request to continue workouts in case he was needed at some point in the postseason. He then passed on a chance to play in the Arizona Fall League to catch up on at-bats after an injury-marred season, but he had perfectly reasonable reasons.

Rua was about to become a husband and a homeowner, and his wisdom teeth need to be extracted, all things that are a big deal even for baseball players. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that Rua wanted to get 2015 as far out of his mind as he could.

Never before had he been through a season so loaded with expectations only to come no where close to matching them.

So, he punted, and it might turn into the best decision of his career.

With his head cleared and his ankle healthy, Rua is one of baseball’s hottest hitters this spring. He took a .500 average (12 for 24) into the opener of the Big League Weekend at the Alamodome on Friday, and he also took his first baseman’s glove.

That glove could ultimately be what gets him to Globe Life Park for Opening Day as the Rangers look to versatile players as they attempt to shape their bench to open the 2016 season. If that means playing only a few times a week at multiple positions, Rua said that he’s ready.
[/QUOTE]

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was far more innocent than what has been portrayed.

From reading this, there was either some misinformation out there about him late last year, or I totally misinterpreted what was reported. Maybe a combination of both, IDK.

Regardless, I was a strong supporter of his last season and I'm more than happy he's having a great spring.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that is a wise decision. Just like I was glad that Brinson was RH because we had been so LH heavy in the OF in the past it would be nice to groom a RHer over there with Fielder and Moreland both being LH. I have liked Rua since Hickory and I think last year was just one of those things. He has some serious pop on his bat and I would like to see him be given another chance on the Rangers club.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish ready for ‘lengthy’ fastball-heavy bullpen session on Monday

“He threw all his pitches, [and threw] probably the best slider I’ve seen,” Brocail said. “His break on [the slider] two days ago was good but not near the zone. Today, it was extremely good and in the zone.”

Brocail originally scheduled Darvish to take two days off and increase his pitch count on Sunday. But Darvish wasn’t happy with his Thursday session, which followed three days off. He told Brocail he no longer wanted that many days off between sessions. The time off had Darvish feeling lethargic on the mound, Brocail said.

“He wanted to throw because he felt a little choppy the other day. I don’t blame him for that,” he said. “Having the three days in between was a little too much for him.”

Brocail wants Darvish to focus on letting loose with his fastball on Monday to help build up his arm strength. Brocail said Monday’s session will be “lengthy.” Darvish will face hitters when he hits 50-55 pitches, Brocail said. He could reach that as early as March 27 or 28.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench out the gate I think is (barring trades): Ciriacio, Stubbs, Gimenez & Rua

Gimenez - backup catcher
Ciriaco - Primary SS/IF/OF backup, pinch-runner
Rua - COF, CIF, RH 1B platoon
Stubbs - primary CF backup, pinch-runner

Profar, Alberto go to AAA

Ruggiano I hate to lose but I can't see him having a job after factoring in Rua's spring and Stubbs being the superior defender and cost of Ruggiano's contract if he makes the club

Rua has really played himself into a prominent role and his versatility really works in his favor

Bullpen: Barnette, Faulkner, Wilhelmsen, Dyson, Tolleson, Kela, Diekman

Guthrie and Gonzalez possible for the 5th starter spot... Preferably Gonzalez I feel like the things he needs to work on can be done at the ML level and Guthrie is.... well Guthrie

Edit: And then I see the tweet about Chi Chi coming off the rails haha

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo takes a called third strike on a full count.

After loading the bases with no outs against Greinke Morleand hits into a double play and Gallo strikes out looking. They can't get a single runner home.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench out the gate I think is (barring trades): Ciriacio, Stubbs, Gimenez & Rua

Gimenez - backup catcher
Ciriaco - Primary SS/IF/OF backup, pinch-runner
Rua - COF, CIF, RH 1B platoon
Stubbs - primary CF backup, pinch-runner

Profar, Alberto go to AAA

Ruggiano I hate to lose but I can't see him having a job after factoring in Rua's spring and Stubbs being the superior defender and cost of Ruggiano's contract if he makes the club

Rua has really played himself into a prominent role and his versatility really works in his favor

Bullpen: Barnette, Faulkner, Wilhelmsen, Dyson, Tolleson, Kela, Diekman

Guthrie and Gonzalez possible for the 5th starter spot... Preferably Gonzalez I feel like the things he needs to work on can be done at the ML level and Guthrie is.... well Guthrie

Edit: And then I see the tweet about Chi Chi coming off the rails haha
I wonder if A J Griffin has a shot at the rotation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to remember about Pedro Ciriaco is that he has always been a much better hitter in ST than he has in the regular season. He has a career .843 OPS in ST and a career .661 OPS during the regular season.