• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he was bringing him on the road too. Wtf? I'm totally behind the players who went to management and asked that something be done.

That's WAY over the top IMO.

I don't know if a player (s) complained. Those are my words. But I sure wouldn't blame them if they did.

Ya know, it's pretty easy for a person who's made a fortune playing a game, to take the "family first high road" when they don't have to worry about paying the mortgage.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he was bringing him on the road too. Wtf? I'm totally behind the players who went to management and asked that something be done.
What I read said there was no problems from the players standpoint.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I read said there was no problems from the players standpoint.

That's not what I heard, but it doesn't really matter much one way or the other to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conspiracy theorist might say that the White Sox wanted to push him to retire since he is in the middle of a 2 year deal and he underperformed last season. That now a situation that had never been a source of any contention in the past was revisited and rules were changed that would probably cause the White Sox to be off the hook.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what I heard, but it doesn't really matter much one way or the other to me.
I read three stories from today and one from last year that was about Drake LaRoche and not one player had anything but something positive to say about it. The article from last year did say that a team rep had said it was typically up to the manager who would be allowed in the clubhouse. Apparently, they decided it was a front office decision this spring for some reason.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from ESPN Insider's Jim Bowden on how to fix the 0-3 of service time players. It's rather long, so I'm only posting his proposed fix, which he calls the "Gerrit Cole situation."

So how can they fix the system, or at least make it better for players? It's simple to me. With all the analytics available these days, it's time to develop a system that includes every type of measureable possible -- sabermetric, statistical, awards/All-Star appearances -- and come up with a set structure that the industry uses for all 0-3 players. To leave it up to the clubs themselves is not good. If a guy plays with a club that pays 0-3 players at the high end, he benefits; but if he plays with a team like the Pirates, he won't get as much, regardless of on-field performance.

Let's take this out of the hands of the teams -- just like we do for the arbitration-eligible players -- and pay them based on production, performance, value to their team and the like. How would it work?

Here is a ballpark concept:

No service time: Can increase the minimum from $507,500 to $550,000

Up to one year: Player gets paid between $550,000 to $1.5 million, based on the algorithm

Between one and two years: Player gets paid from $550,000 to $2.0 million, based on the algorithm

Between two and three years (but not arbitration-eligible): Player gets paid from $550,000 to $3.0 million, based on the algorithm

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: the LaRoche thing... I'm reading today that on the record, the players fully supported the kid being in the clubhouse. Off the record, several went to the GM asking for a change.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: the LaRoche thing... I'm reading today that on the record, the players fully supported the kid being in the clubhouse. Off the record, several went to the GM asking for a change.

Who wants tone the dick who goes on record saying they don't want the kid around?

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wants tone the dick who goes on record saying they don't want the kid around?

Obviously no one. And it's even weirder... now I'm reading that Chris Sale was a big part of a "contentious" meeting with the GM yesterday, the players almost boycotted the game altogether, and that when LaRoche came to terms with the team to begin with, it was understood that the kid would be with the team virtually 100% of the time, because he doesn't believe in traditional schooling.

To his credit, GM Kenny Williams has taken responsibility for this incredibly odd situation.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This from ESPN this morning. The last sentence perhaps says a lot.

Chicago White Sox players considered not playing in Wednesday's spring training game in support of former teammate Adam LaRoche, sources told ESPN's Karl Ravech.

LaRoche abruptly retired Tuesday after team president Ken Williams told the slugger that he had to limit the time his 14-year-old son, Drake, spent with the team.

Sources told Ravech that White Sox manager Robin Ventura intervened and persuaded the players, who were united in support of LaRoche, to play the game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

There likely will be a meeting in the coming days among owner Jerry Reinsdorf, executive vice president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn to go over ground rules for clubhouse access for those in upper management. Sources said there is a division between those in the front office, and Ventura and his players regarding clubhouse access.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really a 14 yr old should be in another environment rather than a clubhouse. The father needs to take a little more responsibility for the kids education and future. Maybe that's why he walked. I hope so.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really a 14 yr old should be in another environment rather than a clubhouse. The father needs to take a little more responsibility for the kids education and future. Maybe that's why he walked. I hope so.

Apparently the kid is home schooled, so per se, he's not really missing traditional school time.

And it seems the team, most players anyway, didn't have problem one with him being there.

On the other hand, it's perfectly within the teams upper management boundries to change the rules.

The thing which surprises me more than anything is the timing of it all. The young man was there last year, and was maintaining for 2016. This came as no surprise to the team, regardless of job function. So, if they - upper mgmt - was truly concerned, or had put any thought into it before ST began, why wasn't this addressed in the off season?

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing which surprises me more than anything is the timing of it all. The young man was there last year, and was maintaining for 2016. This came as no surprise to the team, regardless of job function. So, if they - upper mgmt - was truly concerned, or had put any thought into it before ST began, why wasn't this addressed in the off season?

dollars to donuts there was an incident in the clubhouse... either directly involving the kid or possibly that LaRoche didn't like the kid witnessing. LaRoche speaks up, other player(s) respond in kind.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from ESPN this morning. The last sentence perhaps says a lot.

Chicago White Sox players considered not playing in Wednesday's spring training game in support of former teammate Adam LaRoche, sources told ESPN's Karl Ravech.

LaRoche abruptly retired Tuesday after team president Ken Williams told the slugger that he had to limit the time his 14-year-old son, Drake, spent with the team.

Sources told Ravech that White Sox manager Robin Ventura intervened and persuaded the players, who were united in support of LaRoche, to play the game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

There likely will be a meeting in the coming days among owner Jerry Reinsdorf, executive vice president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn to go over ground rules for clubhouse access for those in upper management. Sources said there is a division between those in the front office, and Ventura and his players regarding clubhouse access.
It is easy to take a stand against a player who hit .208 last year. If he had hit .320 with 35 HRS I don't think they would have considered changing things up. It may have simply been a way to encourage him to retire or it may have simply been a change of heart by upper management. It would have made sense to me if they had waited a year to make changes once his contract was up.