• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Stamkos one bit for staying in Tampa. Makes the most sense if you ask me.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet ya 5 bucks my Senators make it this year. People underestimate how bad of coach Cameron was this year and also how important injuries to Turris and MacA were last year.

They're certainly beneficiaries of the same open division, and I certainly can attest to a coach castrating your team...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it's been mentioned here but that Stamkos visit to Toronto took place on Monday.

For a little while I thought he had met with the Leafs and the two CEO's and was so horrified by what he heard and saw he called Yzerman on a bathroom break and begged for rescue.

There was an NFL player who did this when visiting the Browns...can't remember who that was. Called his old team and agreed to terms from the bathroom.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Stamkos one bit for staying in Tampa. Makes the most sense if you ask me.

It always made the most sense (location, tax breaks, contender), but I do think the timing is funky. Drew it out all the way to offseason, then signed two days before UFA. I had a gut feeling it was TBay, but thought the allure of being chased after got to him...then he bailed before the chase began.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't notice.
floridapantherslogo.png

Panthers new logo.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2_D8XuqpZXi9iXwHxCfuz68YCCMHC2vf061BC8PVfdahRb_fuKQ.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Wait, I didn't realize this trade happened two days before PK's NMC kicked in.

Absolutely not a coincidence.
You'll see that one all delayed clauses. Last chance to ask around.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Btw, I still think that if Hall continues his style of play, his career will be over well before he turns 30

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which trade do you guys think is worse, Montreal's or Edmonton's?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, I didn't realize this trade happened two days before PK's NMC kicked in. Talk about a kick in the nuts. He's a solid guy, so I'm sure he'll adjust, but anger is certainly justified.

Does that mean the NMC is void? That's the chatter I heard on Twitter. If so that's kind of f'ed up.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Which trade do you guys think is worse, Montreal's or Edmonton's?
Edmonton. Montreal got a beast back, even if it was a lesser beast.
Oilers got a decent player back for someone who makes a lot more impact.
Star for star, versus star for 'what?!?!'

Another thought,
I'm not sure how much of a consideration it is that so much of webers cash had been paid already in the first few years. Not sure if Molson is cheap like that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean the NMC is void? That's the chatter I heard on Twitter. If so that's kind of f'ed up.

Correct. NMC don't move with a player. The Preds can honor it, but there's no advantage to that.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His math is slightly whack, its more like $11.5m so when you figure in endorsement money, I think it was a lot closer to "doable".

As a fan, I am OK with it also. Not sure it would have been the best use of cap space.

/Stamkos probably was told if he signed with Toronto, he would have to donate a bajillion to Sick Kids.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebrun says 4 teams met with Stamkos - Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo and a "mystery team" that Friedman says he believes was San Jose. Detroit never got a chance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Friedman's 30:

The Hall trade finally brought some truth to a boatload of Edmonton rumours. There was definitely discussion with Minnesota on a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins/Matt Dumba deal, but the Oilers made it very clear that wasn’t enough to pry loose Nugent-Hopkins and asked for more. That’s where it fell apart.

I don't know if Elliotte's got this wrong or if Edmonton are just certifiably fucking insane - Dumba is a younger, more offensive right D who can man a 1st PP unit and the asking price was the one guy who you pretty much don't have room for on your team. How do you say "that's not enough" for RNH but then turn around and trade Hall for Larsson one-for-one?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton. Montreal got a beast back, even if it was a lesser beast.

That's how I feel. Even with the money savings I still think the Habs lost the trade by a decent amount - but I do not think it was a horrible deal.
At least right now, if Nashville plays a more up tempo offense and lets PK be PK he may put up a lot more points and make the Habs look even more foolish.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I feel. Even with the money savings I still think the Habs lost the trade by a decent amount - but I do not think it was a horrible deal.
At least right now, if Nashville plays a more up tempo offense and lets PK be PK he may put up a lot more points and make the Habs look even more foolish.
I'd make a different argument for the Habs - they need offence. They cannot score, they haven't been able to score for half a decade+ and it is probably the only reason they haven't gotten to a Cup final while having one of the best goalies ever in the crease. It's such an obvious need.

So they move their most valuable asset one-for-one for a lesser replacement in the same position? What's the logic to that? They're going to lose any trade for Subban unless it was a 1-for-1 for Connor McDavid, so if you aren't getting help in your areas of need what's the point?

If they had gotten a decent goalscorer and a top 4 d-man as a return for Subban, they wouldn't be a better team today but maybe with some auxiliary moves and UFA signings you can build around that return and you're better as a team eventually despite having lost one of the best players in the league. I just don't see the benefit to them other than being able to say they traded PK for another "star" player and now Carey Price will have to face 1 less shot per night that he would've stopped anyway.