• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to jinx anything but maybe we get a W today? :noidea:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we witness a mini-resurgence of the team, which threatens to jeopardize our quest for the first round pick in the 2020 draft, I'd like to pose a somewhat insignificant statistical question on the board. Are Narvaez, Murphy and company on pace to produce the greatest seasonal offensive output from the catching position, in franchise history? 15 homeruns through the first 69 games. That's got to be a team record, doesn't it?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we witness a mini-resurgence of the team, which threatens to jeopardize our quest for the first round pick in the 2020 draft, I'd like to pose a somewhat insignificant statistical question on the board. Are Narvaez, Murphy and company on pace to produce the greatest seasonal offensive output from the catching position, in franchise history? 15 homeruns through the first 69 games. That's got to be a team record, doesn't it?

This Murphy dude is lights out today with 2 bombs through the 8th. Don't know PV but it sure seems this catcher duo has been killing it offensively as long as I can remember any way. :thumb:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent execution of the 'opener' by Servais today. It's hard to find things to complement him on, but he may have found the perfect way to use Wade LeBlanc similar to the way the Rays are using Yonny Chirinos.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As hard as I have hammered Seager over the last few years I have been somewhat impressed with his offense after coming off the IL. I might be wrong, but it looks like he has been able to beat the shift a bit these days and not k'ing as often as in the past. Just hope he keeps it more consistent and stays injury free the rest of the season. Congrats to Edwin on his 400th bomb :clap: And congrats to the M's for actually winning a series again. :thumb: Maybe we can avoid the broom coming up with the twins. :D

PS: Does anyone know why the changed to DL to the IL? It feels strange saying IL. Hard to break old habits I guess. Safeco Field to T-Mobile Park? Don't like either of the changes. :pound:

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS: Does anyone know why the changed to DL to the IL? It feels strange saying IL. Hard to break old habits I guess. Safeco Field to T-Mobile Park? Don't like either of the changes

Political Correctness . Saying someone is disabled might hurt someone's feelings . So now you're injured .

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Political Correctness . Saying someone is disabled might hurt someone's feelings . So now you're injured .
Our culture is constantly seeking out new ways to be butthurt. 30 years ago paper bags were the new environmental evil. QFC recently switched plastic bags back to paper bags because plastic is now the new environmental evil and the circle is complete.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our culture is constantly seeking out new ways to be butthurt. 30 years ago paper bags were the new environmental evil. QFC recently switched plastic bags back to paper bags because plastic is now the new environmental evil and the circle is complete.

Thank you srf1957. but what a croc of doo doo. (aka: SHIT). This just reinforces how screwed up we are letting things get. Too much touchy feely crap is ruining this country IMO

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you srf1957. but what a croc of doo doo. (aka: SHIT). This just reinforces how screwed up we are letting things get. Too much touchy feely crap is ruining this country IMO

I'm ok with all of this bitchassness because as the whiny and weak continue to prevail it won't be long before every team wins.............then my friends a World Series trophy will come to Seattle!!

:heh:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read somewhere recently that the Mariners catchers have combined for the 2nd best offensive output by a MLB team behind the Cubs as determined by some sabermetric stat that I cannot recall and that was prior to yesterday's game.

I don't know how or where I would access and compare the catching stats through 69 games for the Mariners, but I was wondering a similar question to what you posed. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to go through every season, but here is what they have so far:

71 hits, 8 doubles, 16 HRs, 38 RBIs, 25 walks and a .281/.354/.502 line.

Here is what they're on pace for: 167 hits, 19 doubles, 38 HRs, 89 RBIs, 69 walks and obviously a .281/.354/.502 slash line.

I have to assume that if they were to retain this pace, many of those would be franchise records for the Mariners.

I have to doubt that Tom Murphy keeps hitting like this, but I always loved the Omar Narvaez acquisition and don't think he's a fluke. I think the offensive production by the catchers will come back down to Earth, but so far it has been a very nice development.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh and on the resurgence of the team recently; the only obstacle to getting the #1 pick in the 2020 draft is how badly some other teams are tanking.

Haniger will be out for a while and Mike Leake, Edwin Encarnacion, etc. could all be gone after the trade deadline.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The longer explanation is that some disability organization lobbied MLB to change it from DL to IL because it's apparently offensive to individuals with disabilities that impair their ability to work. I think it's ridiculous because the dictionary definition is the following:

(of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities

That is an adequate definition of what happens when someone suffers an injury. Nobody with any common sense equates an individual on the DL with someone who suffers a disability. The bigger issue at hand is a culture of people who want to be victimized and offended.

I wouldn't be surprised if in my lifetime we will see "first baseman" changed to "first base player."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m truly surprised since it’s Pride Month MLB hasn’t changed the names or pitchers and catchers. That term is often an offensive gay slur.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys want Martin Perez for a bag of balls?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha- You guys want Mgr Scott Servais for a half a bag of balls?

We are good in the manager department,

Our pitching is awful tho.

Congrats on the W tonight. We suck.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are good in the manager department,

Our pitching is awful tho.

Congrats on the W tonight. We suck.
Just a little "jump the gun" on the congrats though. :nod: You don't know our Manager and our bullpen so it's probably gonna be a congrats to you on a W tonight. :thumb:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the M's get rid of Servais and until we get a decent pen, games like tonight will continue on long well after the cows have come home. :pound:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little "jump the gun" on the congrats though. :nod: You don't know our Manager and our bullpen so it's probably gonna be a congrats to you on a W tonight. :thumb:

How are you twins fans feeling about Cruz? He's a hell of a nice guy and still has a lot of pop left in him IMO.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me tuning into the game with the lead..... then 5 minutes later.