• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably the last person who would say something positive about Servais, but his putting Vogey in with the sacks juiced was a smart move. I'm actually starting to like all 500+lbs of Vogelbach. I get a real kick out of him, especially watching him turn on the turbos when he runs. :pound:

Wonder how long we'll be able to keep the lead??

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that lead didn't last very long. :L

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was 1 out, then the correct play was trying for the DP... If there were no outs, then you want to get the guy going home...

Why? The ball was hit to Moore’s right. If it was to the left then ok, I could see the correct call would be for Moore to try for a DP. Either way, on Moore’s decision Narvaez should never have left home unguarded. A catchers responsibility on backing up first when there isn’t a chance for a person to score. 3B covers 3rd, pitcher backups 3rd, RF backups 1B with runners on. Runners on you do not have a C leave home uncovered. In any scenario with runners on there is no coverage at home, which I know the Mariners don’t realize this year but that is the most important base.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused as I'll never understand this argument defending Moore.... the play in question was with 1 out. So you don't take the DP to get out of the inning???? Huh.....

View attachment 207013

If the ball was hit to his left taking his momentum to 2B then sure. A DP is not an guaranteed out. Had Narvaez stayed where he should have it was an easy out at the plate. In the scorebook if a DP isn’t turn it’s a FC even if any of the IF positions fudges up because the DP isn’t guaranteed. If the IF or C mess up on the play at home it’s an error. It was only an error because Moore made, IMO, the right decision in a 1 run game, and the catcher had a brain fart. I will take this all back if Servais had a play call that takes a very hard DP to make over the easy out. But I will stand by if Servais had that call then he isn’t qualified to coach my 4 year olds tee ball team. Moore isn’t innocent as even in a split second decision that he had you do not throw the ball blindly but the C should never in any circumstance leave home unguarded. With no one on then the C has the ability to get back as the runner can’t beat him home. On a messed up DP, the C, P, 3B or RF can beat the runner home when all are covering different areas. It’s the football equivalent of why the FS doesn’t play the run until the RB has the ball in a cover 1.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love traveling when I get to the destination, but I hate the wait. I'm incredibly impatient and do my best to optimize time because I'm OCD about wasting time - aside from when I waste time here at work - and the idea of spending an hour or two each day commuting just seems like a massive waste.

Thing I hate about flying for me is I have the bladder of a six year old and for whatever reason I have to piss like every 30 minutes whenever I'm on a flight, although I think that's mostly caused by overthinking... Or it could be the beer...

I'm lucky when it comes to the Seattle Freeze because I already have a lot of friends and meet new people through them. I will admit I probably contribute to the Seattle Freeze because I don't make any effort to make any more friends unless they're in my social circle. Could be a product of growing up in Seattle, but when someone strikes up a conversation with me, my immediate reaction is "Why is this person talking to me, are they trying to sell me something?"

Friend of mine grew up in the south and he said one of his first memories of Seattle was being on the bus and striking up a conversation with someone and he said they looked at him like his dick was hanging out of his pants.

Like I said I maybe in the minority but I despise Sound Transit because it was a gerrymandered agency that took King County then stole the wealthy areas of Snohomish and Pierce County.

I wouldn’t mind if I was a tourist or actually used it for work in Seattle but 1% of the voters who vote for it even use it.

With the Seattle freeze I just grew up not wanting to talk to someone who doesn’t have anything to say that I can talk back. Which in my experience is 99% of the small talk someone says. For my job we are suppose to small talk like that and I hate when people actually say legit stuff back like I’m Dr Phil and care about their personal problems.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused as I'll never understand this argument defending Moore.... the play in question was with 1 out. So you don't take the DP to get out of the inning???? Huh.....

View attachment 207013

I will first admit didnt watch a second of the game but obviously saw the play. Someone I know who watched the postgame said Servais had mentioned Narvaez should have been covering the plate. I think the point is in a 1 run game like that you should leave yourself both options. Again my main frustration there was a mental error somewhere in there and I lean towards Navarez based on the situation. But again these have happened so frequently this season and the last few that its beyond the players at this point.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Phillie, Jay Bruce is 4-7 with 2 HR and 6 RBI. LOL. A common theme with this team. A player is traded and immediately becomes a better offensive performer. It just keeps happening over and over and over.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Phillie, Jay Bruce is 4-7 with 2 HR and 6 RBI. LOL. A common theme with this team. A player is traded and immediately becomes a better offensive performer. It just keeps happening over and over and over.

Of course....players are so damn happy to get out of the M's organization they perform like the M's organization thought they would when they brought em' onboard :heh:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Andrew McCutcheon just went down for the year, so Bruce may be getting more playing time in Philly than originally expected. And maybe the Phils will come knocking for another of our outfielders. It would be a good time to sell high on Domingo Santana. You just know he'll be hitting .235 by August 1st.

I really loved the Domingo Santana trade and despite his strange defensive struggles, I'd like to see him with the team long-term but the issue is the logjam of outfielders in our minor league system. The fact that we were able to land him for just Ben Gamel tells me that there just might not be that much interest in him around the league.

I don't think he's going to fall off a cliff and I see him as the player he has been for the first 60 games so far. That all being said I wouldn't be all too disappointed if they did trade him, depending on the return. With Jarred Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez and some other guys knocking on the door in a few years I don't really see any room for them if the Mariners are content rolling with Haniger-Smith-Santana in the outfield.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind it. I'm wishing the best for him.

The only thing that made me sad to see him leave is I saw so much about players being sad about him leaving, seems as if he really stepped up as a clubhouse leader. I read some article on The Athletic about his struggles and he really seems like a good guy and a hard worker.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get done with work until around 8pm and grabbed a few drinks with a buddy afterwards and wasn't surprised to come home and see the Mariners down 5-11 in the 9th inning.

Mariners are now on pace to allow 1,000 runs if you round up! Woohoo!

Keep it up boys! We need that #1 pick!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's now 9-6 with 3 HRs, 2 doubles and 7 RBI. Has raised his batting average to .236 as of this post.

Ugh.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? The ball was hit to Moore’s right. If it was to the left then ok, I could see the correct call would be for Moore to try for a DP. Either way, on Moore’s decision Narvaez should never have left home unguarded. A catchers responsibility on backing up first when there isn’t a chance for a person to score. 3B covers 3rd, pitcher backups 3rd, RF backups 1B with runners on. Runners on you do not have a C leave home uncovered. In any scenario with runners on there is no coverage at home, which I know the Mariners don’t realize this year but that is the most important base.

It was a play a MLB SS should be able to turn into a DP... That's always the first option... Moore made the wrong decision... That was a DP that should've been turned... He panic'd and made the wrong decision... There wasn't speed on the bases...

I've played baseball my entire life, "still do" and I've coached club ball for the past 14 years, the DP is always the first choice with 1 out if there is a shot to turn it... And in this case, the shot was definitely there... Moore's inexperience at the position is what hurt us there... There was a reason he was sent to AA instead of Tacoma... That decision was an embarrassment...

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally a game to watch that's at least half ways decent. Would be a lot more impressive if we were playing the Stros full team and not playing with 4 or 5 of their top guys on the IL. No matter I guess cuz it's one of the better games I've seen in a while. Leake did a nice job on the hill. :thumb:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a play a MLB SS should be able to turn into a DP... That's always the first option... Moore made the wrong decision... That was a DP that should've been turned... He panic'd and made the wrong decision... There wasn't speed on the bases...

I've played baseball my entire life, "still do" and I've coached club ball for the past 14 years, the DP is always the first choice with 1 out if there is a shot to turn it... And in this case, the shot was definitely there... Moore's inexperience at the position is what hurt us there... There was a reason he was sent to AA instead of Tacoma... That decision was an embarrassment...

Then we have completely different views on coaching and perspectives on baseball. It was a 1 run game. I’m not sure how you can comfortably expect a SS with the ball hit to his right like that and expect a double play. And I completely disagree with he paniced. What in that play showed any panic? It was a 1 run game with at most a 5% chance of turning a DP. Since you coach club, let’s just assume Moore does try for the DP, Narvaez made a ten times worse decision and trying to back up 1st. That is not the C’s responsibility. The RF backs up 1st and the P goes to back up 3rd 100% of the time.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from the Times article I found on the play. I'd link it but I am not a subscriber and theres ads

Houston’s next hitter, Gurriel, bounced a routine grounder to short, and Bregman broke for home. Seattle shortstop Dylan Moore fielded it cleanly, gathered and threw accurately to the plate. But the Mariners’ catcher, Omar Narvaez, was nowhere to be found.

For reasons only Narvaez knows, the first-year Mariner ran up the baseline, presumably to back up first. Moore’s throw bounced to the backstop, Bregman scored safely and the Mariners were rightfully serenaded with a smattering of boos.

“He vacated home plate too soon, obviously,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said after the game. “It was a strange play. I’ve actually had that play happen to me as a catcher, believe it or not. Same exact thing, and I learned a lesson. I think Omar did tonight, too.

“But when the ball’s hit the first thing you’re thinking is, ‘It’s a double play.’ Dylan actually made the right read. He wasn’t going to be able to turn a double play on that. He made a very athletic throw to the plate and Omar just vacated too early.”

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't necessarily Mariners related, but I'm working in Toronto at the moment and got to go to the Blue Jays vs Yankees game last night. It just so happened to work out that I got to see Paxton start, and it wasn't the Paxton we were used to seeing that's for sure. Only time will tell with Justus, but this trade along with the Cano trade are looking better and better each day. Back to the game, always a fan of Smoak even though he was pretty lackluster with the M's; good to be able to root for him again for one night. The Evil Empire got Vladed' in the 8th, it was great.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who this Adams was that started for us (and couldn't even get out of the first inning), but if that slacker is part of the rebuild for our future, I really don't see much of a future for these guys at all.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from the Times article I found on the play. I'd link it but I am not a subscriber and theres ads

Houston’s next hitter, Gurriel, bounced a routine grounder to short, and Bregman broke for home. Seattle shortstop Dylan Moore fielded it cleanly, gathered and threw accurately to the plate. But the Mariners’ catcher, Omar Narvaez, was nowhere to be found.

For reasons only Narvaez knows, the first-year Mariner ran up the baseline, presumably to back up first. Moore’s throw bounced to the backstop, Bregman scored safely and the Mariners were rightfully serenaded with a smattering of boos.

“He vacated home plate too soon, obviously,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said after the game. “It was a strange play. I’ve actually had that play happen to me as a catcher, believe it or not. Same exact thing, and I learned a lesson. I think Omar did tonight, too.

“But when the ball’s hit the first thing you’re thinking is, ‘It’s a double play.’ Dylan actually made the right read. He wasn’t going to be able to turn a double play on that. He made a very athletic throw to the plate and Omar just vacated too early.”

Assuming if you're talking about the Seattle Times, in your browser if you turn off cookies for that website you won't have to worry anymore about the limit on the articles you can read.