• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE... If you haven't already... you need to watch this.

I watched it for the first time just now and HOLY FK...................... I'm stunned.

I saw that and thought WTF?? How could a player field a ball and then throw it to someone who isn't even there to catch it?? I mean, don't you look for your target before you throw it? Moore probably thought that if the ball came to him he would automatically throw out the runner going home be a hero. :pound:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that and thought WTF?? How could a player field a ball and then throw it to someone who isn't even there to catch it?? I mean, don't you look for your target before you throw it? Moore probably thought that if the ball came to him he would automatically throw out the runner going home be a hero. :pound:
Like... literally everyone was expecting him to go get the DP. Most of the time, you go get the DP. What a fking moron. You know, I feel bad for him during his major league debut where he putted 3 straight errors..... but my god, what I just watched is absolutely atrocious. :doh:

He might as well just bonk his pitcher in the face with that throw... at least it's at somebody.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE... If you haven't already... you need to watch this.

I watched it for the first time just now and HOLY FK...................... I'm stunned.

This is the kind of shit that makes me want Servais gone. And no its not an overreaction to one play, its a accumulation of 4 years of just poor situational play. I'd lean to putting this one on the catcher over Dylan Moore tho. I obviously dont know if there was an alignment called to forgoe the runner at home for the double play at all costs but in a 1 run game with a runner on 3rd that doesnt make sense to me. Regardless somebody fucked up and it happens so much that you cant just keep blaming single players.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of shit that makes me want Servais gone. And no its not an overreaction to one play, its a accumulation of 4 years of just poor situational play. I'd lean to putting this one on the catcher over Dylan Moore tho. I obviously dont know if there was an alignment called to forgoe the runner at home for the double play at all costs but in a 1 run game with a runner on 3rd that doesnt make sense to me. Regardless somebody fucked up and it happens so much that you cant just keep blaming single players.

This is kind of why I want Servais to stay for now. If we want to truly rebuild winning 70 games won't cut it, we need to burn this entire thing down so we have the best to bring it back up. Servais will get us a couple of high draft picks then it's deuces as far as I'm concerned.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hope is the rest of the guys we should be able to do a little better on. Encarnicion, Beckham, Leake, Possibly Gordon, or whoever else. I think Bruce was always gonna be the tougher one due to money owed, age and lack of versatility. Encarnicion at least I think is only signed on for this year so should be easier.

I agree that he was probably the toughest of the group to move. I would go as far as to say that moving Leake and Gordon likely seemed more plausible than moving Bruce.

In 2020 Edwin Encarnacion is owed $20m with a $5m buyout which would likely be exercised given his age.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the light rail for political reasons. I was forced by gerrymandering into the RTA and there are no tracks in my city and ST2 promised there would be by now but now it’s 2040. We do have a rail station in the next city but their parking rivals Seattle, my sister in law lives right down the road and has to show up at 5 am, 4 hours before her shift in Seattle starts just to park. As well as I am old school and I like traveling, including flying, where I am in control not either having no bathrooms or on planes where the restroom is always full. Plus living in the area the Seattle freeze is legit and I hate that uncomfortable scenario.

I love traveling when I get to the destination, but I hate the wait. I'm incredibly impatient and do my best to optimize time because I'm OCD about wasting time - aside from when I waste time here at work - and the idea of spending an hour or two each day commuting just seems like a massive waste.

Thing I hate about flying for me is I have the bladder of a six year old and for whatever reason I have to piss like every 30 minutes whenever I'm on a flight, although I think that's mostly caused by overthinking... Or it could be the beer...

I'm lucky when it comes to the Seattle Freeze because I already have a lot of friends and meet new people through them. I will admit I probably contribute to the Seattle Freeze because I don't make any effort to make any more friends unless they're in my social circle. Could be a product of growing up in Seattle, but when someone strikes up a conversation with me, my immediate reaction is "Why is this person talking to me, are they trying to sell me something?"

Friend of mine grew up in the south and he said one of his first memories of Seattle was being on the bus and striking up a conversation with someone and he said they looked at him like his dick was hanging out of his pants.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watching this play over and over a few times, I'm still confused at Moore's decision though. The ball was hit hard and sharply enough to SS, that the only logical play to me it seem was to go to 2B for the DP. The catcher saw and knew this, which is why he ran over to 1B to backup the play. The 2Bman ran over to cover 2B and the 1Bman was already covering 1B in anticipation of the DP. Also, the pitcher's reaction to the throw also suggest Moore screwed up.

It may have been that Moore got the signal all mixed up based on the reaction of the 2B, 1B, pitcher, and catcher. If Moore got the signal mixed up then it's Servais' responsibility to make sure his players are clear and if Moore's doing that on his own... then WTF?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to also note is that they weren't even bringing the infield in.... so there was no way that was a play to the plate.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this play over and over a few times, I'm still confused at Moore's decision though. The ball was hit hard and sharply enough to SS, that the only logical play to me it seem was to go to 2B for the DP. The catcher saw and knew this, which is why he ran over to 1B to backup the play. The 2Bman ran over to cover 2B and the 1Bman was already covering 1B in anticipation of the DP. Also, the pitcher's reaction to the throw also suggest Moore screwed up.

It may have been that Moore got the signal all mixed up based on the reaction of the 2B, 1B, pitcher, and catcher. If Moore got the signal mixed up then it's Servais' responsibility to make sure his players are clear and if Moore's doing that on his own... then WTF?

Since I always love to play Devil's Advocate, he could've just been relying on muscle memory and expected that the catcher would be there at home plate. The throw he made would've hit the catcher right in the chest and he would've got the runner out.

Don't know why he didn't go for the double play, he might've had his eye on the runner going home and expected the catcher to be covering home. Just speculating, but that was a massive mistake and really epitomizes the Mariners season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to also note is that they weren't even bringing the infield in.... so there was no way that was a play to the plate.

When you bring the infield in, the catcher is expected to go off to the side?

I know it's a novice question but I stopped playing competitive baseball when I was in the 6th grade and sucked so I stuck with football. I figured that when there is runners on first and third, the catcher would cover home in case of a throw to the plate.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you bring the infield in, the catcher is expected to go off to the side?

I know it's a novice question but I stopped playing competitive baseball when I was in the 6th grade and sucked so I stuck with football. I figured that when there is runners on first and third, the catcher would cover home in case of a throw to the plate.

With the runner at 3rd and you bring the infield in, it means you're anticipating the play at the plate if the batter hits a ground ball. In this case, the catch would definitely remain at homeplate.

In this case though, the infielders were playing at their normal positions, so the catcher was definitely not anticipating a play at the plate.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I always love to play Devil's Advocate, he could've just been relying on muscle memory and expected that the catcher would be there at home plate. The throw he made would've hit the catcher right in the chest and he would've got the runner out.

Don't know why he didn't go for the double play, he might've had his eye on the runner going home and expected the catcher to be covering home. Just speculating, but that was a massive mistake and really epitomizes the Mariners season.

No, by playing at their normal positions, it just tells me that Servais and his defense was ready to concede a run for a DP if if the situation presented itself. Most of the time in this case, the catcher would run to backup the 1B in case of an errant throw from the 2B and he would prevent the 1B runner from advancing to 3B in the double play. If there was an errant throw in this case, then the pitcher would cover home plate.

I can understand it was muscle memory if the infield was brought in and the catcher fucked up by running away.... the infield was not brought in.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the runner at 3rd and you bring the infield in, it means you're anticipating the play at the plate if the batter hits a ground ball. In this case, the catch would definitely remain at homeplate.

In this case though, the infielders were playing at their normal positions, so the catcher was definitely not anticipating a play at the plate.

No, by playing at their normal positions, it just tells me that Servais and his defense was ready to concede a run for a DP if if the situation presented itself. Most of the time in this case, the catcher would run to backup the 1B in case of an errant throw from the 2B and he would prevent the 1B runner from advancing to 3B in the double play. If there was an errant throw in this case, then the pitcher would cover home plate.

I can understand it was muscle memory if the infield was brought in and the catcher fucked up by running away.... the infield was not brought in.

Ahh okay. Thanks for the clarification buddy. I'm never afraid to admit ignorance because that's how we learn.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unfortunate thing is we didn't clear much salary and didn't get much in return. If you're right that it was either this or DFAing him, then I suppose it's a win.
Well, Andrew McCutcheon just went down for the year, so Bruce may be getting more playing time in Philly than originally expected. And maybe the Phils will come knocking for another of our outfielders. It would be a good time to sell high on Domingo Santana. You just know he'll be hitting .235 by August 1st.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can’t blame Moore for that at all, as that was the correct play to go home. I’ve never in my life seen a catcher leave home plate wide open to go backup a possible DP. If Servais does has a play that calls for that then he needs to be flogged. The catcher never goes to backup first base when there is one out with any runners on. Say that play plays out and Moore throws it second, he over throws it then that means two runs score as the RF is also suppose to back up 1B.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have remembered this wrong but I think Servais said in post game that he wasn't going to crash on his catcher because back when he was a player he did the same thing.:noidea:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t blame Moore for that at all, as that was the correct play to go home. I’ve never in my life seen a catcher leave home plate wide open to go backup a possible DP. If Servais does has a play that calls for that then he needs to be flogged. The catcher never goes to backup first base when there is one out with any runners on. Say that play plays out and Moore throws it second, he over throws it then that means two runs score as the RF is also suppose to back up 1B.

If there was 1 out, then the correct play was trying for the DP... If there were no outs, then you want to get the guy going home...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm confused as I'll never understand this argument defending Moore.... the play in question was with 1 out. So you don't take the DP to get out of the inning???? Huh.....

Capture.PNG

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was 1 out, then the correct play was trying for the DP... If there were no outs, then you want to get the guy going home...
There was in fact 1 out. So this is another reason why I'll never understand why he was going home.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogey is a special player imo... almost missed a GS to straight center.