• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately as fans we are just going to have to accept that Servais will be managing this team until at least 2021. No way is Jerry going to fire his BFF. Jerry doesn’t like to admit when he has screwed up either and hiring a dude who truly didn’t have a resume to get an interview for a managerial position would be admitting a massive fault.

I don't think it rolls all the the way to 2021.
Dip is going to need to save face here on the whole teardown the team and move young.
I still believe/think/hope ownership asks him at the end of this season, " what the hell happened after that hot start" and question Dip to the fullest about Searvis being able to manage this team moving forward.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article for those of you who subscribe to The Athletic:

After belated start, new-look Kyle Seager poised to bounce...

I should preface this with the fact that Seager showed up to training camp in excellent shape. It was noticeable over the past few years he had put on what looked like some bad weight. For those of you who don't subscribe to The Athletic, here are some good quotes:

"It was toward the end of the regular season when the Mariners first talked with Seager about making alterations to his typical offseason workout routine, which had been based in strength training. The club wanted less bulk and more flexibility and mobility.

“I always worked out in the winter, trying to get as strong as I could get,” Seager said. “I understand now that’s not maybe the most important thing to me right now in my career.”"

“Strength is only one aspect of what you need as an athlete,” Lindsay said. “You need mobility in your joints, to be able to stabilize those joints, understand how the body moves, the ability to create speed — and in Seager’s case, rotational speed.

“Kyle and I were mad scientists all winter, trying to figure out how to get the body to do what we wanted it to do.”

Gist of the article is that Seager completely changed his workout routines and implemented a very strict diet, something it doesn't seem he did before. The institute he worked with identified a number of things that could improve his performance. I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do, he returns on Saturday I believe.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article for those of you who subscribe to The Athletic:

After belated start, new-look Kyle Seager poised to bounce...

I should preface this with the fact that Seager showed up to training camp in excellent shape. It was noticeable over the past few years he had put on what looked like some bad weight. For those of you who don't subscribe to The Athletic, here are some good quotes:

"It was toward the end of the regular season when the Mariners first talked with Seager about making alterations to his typical offseason workout routine, which had been based in strength training. The club wanted less bulk and more flexibility and mobility.

“I always worked out in the winter, trying to get as strong as I could get,” Seager said. “I understand now that’s not maybe the most important thing to me right now in my career.”"

“Strength is only one aspect of what you need as an athlete,” Lindsay said. “You need mobility in your joints, to be able to stabilize those joints, understand how the body moves, the ability to create speed — and in Seager’s case, rotational speed.

“Kyle and I were mad scientists all winter, trying to figure out how to get the body to do what we wanted it to do.”

Gist of the article is that Seager completely changed his workout routines and implemented a very strict diet, something it doesn't seem he did before. The institute he worked with identified a number of things that could improve his performance. I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do, he returns on Saturday I believe.

Yeah I think a lot of these younger guys think the long ball is the golden ticket and bulking up to hit those long balls is all they know. I'm excited for him to be back, I've always liked the kid and love watching him play. It sucks watching someone struggle year in and year out trying to find his groove again.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think a lot of these younger guys think the long ball is the golden ticket and bulking up to hit those long balls is all they know. I'm excited for him to be back, I've always liked the kid and love watching him play. It sucks watching someone struggle year in and year out trying to find his groove again.

This was another good quote and maybe he'll figure out how to hit against the shift:

"There were three components to the program Lindsay devised for Seager: addressing the pain in his toe and back; ensuring proper joint mobility in his ankles, pelvis and thoracic spine (upper back); and analyzing the biomechanics of his swing.

Seager figured the tightness in his back was just the result of playing third base for so many years, but Lindsay discovered cervical spine issues that wouldn’t allow Seager’s head to move independently from his thoracic spine. That made it difficult for him to track pitches without moving his head — a big no-no for hitters."

Worst case scenario, shedding that bulk he had on him will make him more agile defensively while improving his base running ability. His ability as a defender and runner sort of fell off a bit when he started bulking up. Hopefully the results pay off.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOOOOOOO! 10-27 (soon to be 28) since starting 13-2! YAHHHH!!!! GRAB HIS ASS!

Surprise? Nope. Seriously if ANYONE expected this makeshift 'MAJOR LEAGUE' (movie) team to do anything other than thank the year, LOL. @rightstuff I mean... ugh, I know we've had some stupid back and forth arguments, but c'mon bro - you knew I was right all along.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOOOOOOO! 10-27 (soon to be 28) since starting 13-2! YAHHHH!!!! GRAB HIS ASS!

Surprise? Nope. Seriously if ANYONE expected this makeshift 'MAJOR LEAGUE' (movie) team to do anything other than thank the year, LOL. @rightstuff I mean... ugh, I know we've had some stupid back and forth arguments, but c'mon bro - you knew I was right all along.

You are correct. I was hopeful.
I apologize for supporting my team (Not really, cuz you are a fuckstain)
I should have learned.

Best of luck to you when the M's actually achieve.
Because I will hold my faith,

while you will be classified as some type of bandwagon fan.

Don't EVER pretend to be a REAL FAN, when they finally win the World Series.

So, FU Loser.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have learned.

So, FU Loser.

I mean... Jesus when you put it like that... dude... :(

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don’t think any of us are really surprised ... The start was a shock, but reality came crashing down ... I don’t think this team will see .500 again this year...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don’t think any of us are really surprised ... The start was a shock, but reality came crashing down ... I don’t think this team will see .500 again this year...

No it was fun to pretend that they could actually shock the world and play winning baseball this summer.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've been saying the same for the last 18yrs.

I think back in 2010 on CBS I made a somewhat hyperbolic thread asking if the Mariners would make the playoffs this decade. I was only being partially serious because what were the odds of not making the playoffs for another ten years? Unfortunately I now have my answer.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have learned.

So, FU Loser.

I think that you, @Sharkonabicycle and myself might be either in the retirement home or in the dirt by the time the Mariners win a World Series.

Hopefully that doesn't make me a bad fan for feeling that way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it was fun to pretend that they could actually shock the world and play winning baseball this summer.

It's also fun to pretend that tonight I'll be having a threesome with Kate Upton and Scarlett Johansson.

The Mariners playing winning baseball this summer is just as likely.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they tanking it on purpose? they cant be this bad. Though I cant remember the last time i watched them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they tanking it on purpose? they cant be this bad. Though I cant remember the last time i watched them.

Are they tanking on purpose? Hopefully, but probably not.

A below average rotation, an awful bullpen, the league's worst defense with inconsistent hitting will lead to streaks like this.

The more likely scenario is that the team knows it won't be contending and may not be playing as hard as they should, and when the lead seems insurmountable they mentally check out or become overly aggressive at the plate swinging for the fences when that just leads to more strikeouts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Leake looking like he might have finally hit the wall. Middle of the second as I write this and we're down 0-3 with Leake giving up another two home runs. That puts him at 16 home runs allowed on the season. That means his 16 home runs allowed (as of now) is second most in the majors behind David Hess who has allowed 17.

To put that into perspective, last year he gave up 23 HRs last year in 31 starts. His career high is 26. Assuming he pitches 31 games, he would be on pace for 45 HRs allowed.

Yikes.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have learned.

So, FU Loser.
Is it really being a bandwagon fan when you've followed this team every single year since it first came into being, followed it through near two decades of futility before they finally got a manager and put together some fun, only then to entirely ride off the coattails of that small run for nearly another 20 years? At what point are good fans simply tired of not even sniffing the playoffs for what feels now should be at LEAST 20 years without an appearance? Or the politics of obstructing the return of the NBA for very dumb reasons. How much are we expected to endure before we don't have to be insulted for being less interested in the endless cycle of disappointment?

This team won't make a playoff under Dipoto. That seems painfully obvious. Due in no small part to his completely incompetent manager. Servais is entirely his fault.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure miss Lou and his hat kicking temper tantrums. Servais just acts like a big baby when he pitches a bitch. We need another Lou on this sinking ship. :L

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that should surprise anyone about this season so far is the 13-2 start.

They have pathetically and as expected gone 10-30 since.