• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "Jameis Winston" Superthread

Will Winston Finish the Season For FSU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win vs a ranked team is a win vs a ranked team.

Whether or not we believe they were overrated is irrelevant.

I disagree... Florida was ranked for a lot of this season and now will likely not even make a bowl game...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought OU was top 10 to begin with......but they WERE ranked top 10......and because they lost to Baylor they dropped, and Baylor rose in the rankings. This is indisputable fact.

They WERE top 10... but they ARE NOT NOW a top 10 team, which means Baylor DOES NOT NOW HAVE A TOP 10 WIN.

This is very, very easy to understand. Florida was once ranked top 10. Did you know that?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think you move up and down in the rankings based on who is ranked WHEN you play them. What, you don't think USC gets credit for beating a top 5 Stanford?

Let me guess, you think Clemson didn't move up for beating a top 5 Georgia? Rankings at the time you play MATTER. To say they don't is incredibly stupid.

That's true the week after you play them, but the way people consider the wins changes over time. At this point, you shouldn't be touting a win over Oklahoma as better than a win over Wisconsin.

As of today, OSU has played a better schedule. That will likely change after this weekend. It may change again after OSU plays MSU. But no matter what, you don't only consider ranking at the time they play.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true the week after you play them, but the way people consider the wins changes over time. At this point, you shouldn't be touting a win over Oklahoma as better than a win over Wisconsin.

As of today, OSU has played a better schedule. That will likely change after this weekend. It may change again after OSU plays MSU. But no matter what, you don't only consider ranking at the time they play.

What he said... Yes the ranking at the time of the game matters... for that week only...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They WERE top 10... but they ARE NOT NOW a top 10 team, which means Baylor DOES NOT NOW HAVE A TOP 10 WIN.

This is very, very easy to understand. Florida was once ranked top 10. Did you know that?

Baylor BEAT a top 10 team. That is a fact. This is easy to understand. What happens to OU after that game is irrelevant, because Baylor is a part of the reason OU dropped in the rankings.

Baylor would not be top 5 without that win, whether you believe it or not.

If your team is top 15, and you beat AT THE TIME a top 3 team, you vault into the top 10, maybe even top 5. What happens to that team later in the season has NO BEARING on your ranking or resume.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston hasn't played in the second half or at least the last quarter in all of his games (except for BC). That's basically 2 and a quarter games less he has played than all those other guys. Factor that into your stats. Not to mention he killed Clemson and Miami (not as impressive now) and when he did face adversity he rallied the team back to win.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor BEAT a top 10 team. That is a fact. This is easy to understand. What happens to OU after that game is irrelevant, because Baylor is a part of the reason OU dropped in the rankings.

Baylor would not be top 5 without that win, whether you believe it or not.

If your team is top 15, and you beat AT THE TIME a top 3 team, you vault into the top 10, maybe even top 5. What happens to that team later in the season has NO BEARING on your ranking or resume.

Dude that's fine, but it doesn't mean your resume is better. Oklahoma can "technically" say they beat a top 10 Texas Tech team, but nobody looks at is as a good win since Tech has obviously been exposed. There's a good chance OSU will end the season with wins over 2 teams that are ranked higher than anyone Baylor ends up beating. That means their resume is better.

This is college football 101, how can you not know this?

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by your logic, every year, the only teams in the NC discussion are #1 and 2 when there are a few weeks left in the season, as there's never a chance a #1 or 2 can lose in the final weeks. Dumbshit.

they will be in the discussion if florida state or alabama lose. right now, there is no debate.

if one of them lose, there will be a debate between florida state and baylor. oregon/auburn/missouri could also sneak into that discussion depending on how things shake out. i wouldn't say auburn is in national championship consideration right now. and neither is ohio state. when one of the top 2 loses, they are.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings at the time of the win are the ONLY thing that's relevant, otherwise there would BE NO RANKINGS in the middle of the year!

Stanford stayed in the top 5 with a loss to Utah BECAUSE they beat #2 at the time Oregon. If you can't grasp this, you don't know squat about college football.

This is obvious. And whether you like or respect Baylor or not does not change the FACT that if they win out they'll have beaten 2, TWO top 10 teams.

Get over it. Because the polls and BCS will be 'over' tOSU.

so a team beats #3 in week 1 and that team that started #3 ends up going 3-9. i guess you think that's still some great win?

stanford stayed in the top 5 with a loss to Utah because Oregon was still a very highly regarded team. But as it stands right now, Stanford is getting credit for beating the 5th best team, not the 2nd best team. If Oregon happens to lose another game or two (I don't think they will) then Stanford's win will be diminished.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will be in the discussion if florida state or alabama lose. right now, there is no debate.

if one of them lose, there will be a debate between florida state and baylor. oregon/auburn/missouri could also sneak into that discussion depending on how things shake out. i wouldn't say auburn is in national championship consideration right now. and neither is ohio state. when one of the top 2 loses, they are.

This is basically the case most every year. The term "in the discussion" is not finite or an exact science. Ohio State is the 3rd ranked team in the nation. They are in the conversation. Missouri, Oregon and Auburn are not, as they are not even unbeaten and only one is top 5. HUGE difference for very clear reasons.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude that's fine, but it doesn't mean your resume is better. Oklahoma can "technically" say they beat a top 10 Texas Tech team, but nobody looks at is as a good win since Tech has obviously been exposed. There's a good chance OSU will end the season with wins over 2 teams that are ranked higher than anyone Baylor ends up beating. That means their resume is better.

This is college football 101, how can you not know this?

I'm not saying it's the end all be all......I'm saying it MATTERS, very clearly, and rankings change based on who wins and who loses. Ranked teams losing to other ranked teams MATTER. EVERYTHING is based on this. At the end of the year, YES the body of work is evaluated. But teams generally do not get penalized for beating teams that fell out of the rankings unless they are on the outside looking in.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original question was incorrect from the get go. Winston is in fact a front runner and has been for some time. The reason he is a front runner is because those who vote are stating that's where he belongs. Seems to me the folks the Op mentioned won't be in New York which means to me the OP is simply incorrect in talent evaluation.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it's the end all be all......I'm saying it MATTERS, very clearly, and rankings change based on who wins and who loses. Ranked teams losing to other ranked teams MATTER. EVERYTHING is based on this. At the end of the year, YES the body of work is evaluated. But teams generally do not get penalized for beating teams that fell out of the rankings unless they are on the outside looking in.

Yes, it matters that week, but to claim it near the end of the season when as a "beating a ranked" opponent is just stupid. No one denied that it doesn't matter. However, when talking about football, you use the most current rankings. Rankings change and that's why they play the game. You can't use previous rankings when talking about current football.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was betting on it (and I very well could end up betting on it) I wouldnt put money on Winston. I just got this feeling the voters are gonna go against him this season because of what we dont know about the current investigation down in Tallahassee. Now if everything is cleared up by next season and this thing doesn't go anywhere and he can sustain this performance level he is without a doubt already the front-runner.

If he is innocent (which is certainly the assumption i'm still working under) it is rough he arguably wont get the recognition he deserves because of this incident, but the CFB world in all honesty has more to be concerned with in this situation than merely recognizing the achievements of one player.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need several things to win the Heisman:

Media attention on your program
A winning record
Godly stats
a Heisman moment

So far of all the candidates, only Winston has ALL of these. Manziel really doesn't have a Heisman moment this year, he's just been consistent.

Aaron Murray does, as well as Jordan Lynch, and a case can be made for CJ Mosely

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because hes leading the best team in college football to a National Championship............... Are you missing something?

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need several things to win the Heisman:

Media attention on your program
A winning record
Godly stats
a Heisman moment

So far of all the candidates, only Winston has ALL of these. Manziel really doesn't have a Heisman moment this year, he's just been consistent.

Well, considering Alabama has only ONE Heisman winner that shoots that one down. It's between Winston and Manziel this year, clearly the two best players in college football.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does matter in that it can help a team climb the rankings, but come the end of the season, if there's any kind of issue with looking at a team's resume, it is often times completely irrelevant. For example, look at USC last year. Does Stanford's resume look good because they beat USC when they were ranked top 5? Of course not, USC blew last year. The pollsters were clearly wrong in their voting at the beginning of the year. It seems like we were both approaching this argument from two completely different points of view.