• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Idaho Vandals News Thread

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watch any of the NMSU vs. ASU game @Cave_Johnson? Aggies put up a pretty impressive offensive showing. ~550 total yards of offense. Rogers almost threw for 400yds. Justin Huntley & Jaleel Scott look like a couple of ballers!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how about that Abercrombie kid from Coastal? Almost averaged a whopping 9 yard per carry on 17 totes to the tune of 149yds!

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watch any of the NMSU vs. ASU game @Cave_Johnson? Aggies put up a pretty impressive offensive showing. ~550 total yards of offense. Rogers almost threw for 400yds. Justin Huntley & Jaleel Scott look like a couple of ballers!

Caught bits and pieces. The Aggies played a great first half, then sort of fell apart, and eventually caught up in garbage time. Not trying to shit on them there, I was pretty impressed that they got this game as close as it was without a huge performance from Larry Rose. They have some real talent on that offense and finally might have the passing game to complement Rose.

Would not surprise me to see them take down UTEP and UNM and then steal a few unexpected conference wins as well. I had them losing to UNM and Louisiana but I could see them flipping those those games. Only issue is going to be their defense which still looks a little shaky.

And I don't want to forget that Idaho plays NMSU in Las Cruces. The Vandals haven't won there since 2009. Could be a real tough one at the end of the year.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit that was probably a big game for Tyler Rogers too considering he's from Peoria which is like an hour from Tempe.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how about that Abercrombie kid from Coastal? Almost averaged a whopping 9 yard per carry on 17 totes to the tune of 149yds!
Yeah Coastal got off to a great start. Looking at their schedule they have a great shot to be 5-0 before a tough road stretch @ Arkansas State and @ Appalachian State. Could be a bowl for the Chants in their first season moving backward.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caught bits and pieces. The Aggies played a great first half, then sort of fell apart, and eventually caught up in garbage time. Not trying to shit on them there, I was pretty impressed that they got this game as close as it was without a huge performance from Larry Rose. They have some real talent on that offense and finally might have the passing game to complement Rose.

Would not surprise me to see them take down UTEP and UNM and then steal a few unexpected conference wins as well. I had them losing to UNM and Louisiana but I could see them flipping those those games. Only issue is going to be their defense which still looks a little shaky.

And I don't want to forget that Idaho plays NMSU in Las Cruces. The Vandals haven't won there since 2009. Could be a real tough one at the end of the year.
I know they can be hot & cold overall. Hard to imagine them keeping up that pace. But I'm also curious about their defense. 7 sacks in 1 game? I think they only had like 10 total for the entire season last year. They were fairly young at that point so maybe a full year in the system things are starting to click for those players. I know the Sun Devils aren't known for their O-line, but they are still a p5, pac-12 program. Aggies D could be for real this year.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they can be hot & cold overall. Hard to imagine them keeping up that pace. But I'm also curious about their defense. 7 sacks in 1 game? I think they only had like 10 total for the entire season last year. They were fairly young at that point so maybe a full year in the system things are starting to click for those players. I know the Sun Devils aren't known for their O-line, but they are still a p5, pac-12 program. Aggies D could be for real this year.

They do have a lot of returning talent (I think 9 starters) and they for sure got after ASU's QBs. Also held ASU to 2 ypc. That said, they still gave up 400 total yards with the Sun Devils pulling their starters early in the 4th quarter. I expected worse however and like you said this was a P5 offense.

I guess I sort of have the same opinion of their D as I do Idaho's for different reasons (although I like Idaho's more on paper). The Vandals dominated a really, really bad offense while NMSU had a decent showing against a P5 program. Going to need more data points to really see how good they are, but they both had performances that should make fans optimistic. UTEP and NMSU will be good measuring stick games for them like UNLV will be for Idaho. I thought WMU would fall into that category as well but the way the Broncos played against USC makes me think the Vandals could struggle in that one.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sun Belt Power Rankings: Week Four

1.) Appalachian State Mountaineers (2-1, beat Texas State 20-13)
Last Week: 1

App State headed on the road for their Sun Belt opener and the Bobcats gave them a scare in San Marcos. The Mountaineers only posted 283 total yards of offense for the night as they appeared to be disinterested for most of the contest. With Wake Forest coming to town, the Mountaineers must pick it up this weekend.

2.) Arkansas State Red Wolves (1-1, beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 48-3)
Last Week: 2

Blake Anderson’s club cruised in their home opener as they crushed the FCS competition. Quarterback Justice Hansen tossed for five touchdowns and now as eight scores on the year. He may be the biggest competition to Tyler Rogers for Sun Belt Player of the Year honors. The Red Wolves have a tremendous opportunity to pick up a huge non-conference win against SMU this weekend.

3.) Troy Trojans (2-1, beat New Mexico State 27-24)
Last Week: 3

Troy headed out to Las Cruces and handled their business as they picked up a nice win over NMSU. Brandon Silvers played his best game of the season as he threw for 286 yards and completed 61% of his passes. Defensively, Troy totally shutdown the NMSU rushing attack and their impressive play to start the season continues. Neal Brown’s squad returns home this week to host Akron.

4.) New Mexico State Aggies (1-2, lost to Troy 27-24)
Last Week: 4

The Aggies blew a huge opportunity at home as they fell to Troy. Tyler Rogers remains on fire and for the season he is completing right at 67% of his passes and has already tossed for 10 scores. He has been the best player in the conference to start the season and he should post huge numbers against UTEP on Saturday.

5.) UL-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (1-2, lost at Texas A&M 45-21)
Last Week: 5

After having the Aggies on the ropes in the first half, the Cajuns were smoked in the second half as a close game turned into a blowout. Jordan Davis continues to play well at quarterback while Trey Ragas had a lot of success running against an SEC defense. Their defense still has some issues as ULM comes to Cajun Field this weekend.

6.) Idaho Vandals (1-2, lost at Western Michigan 37-28)
Last Week: 6

After a brutal home loss to UNLV, the Vandals responded nicely as they entered the fourth quarter with a 28-19 lead over Western Michigan. However, the Vandals would let it slip by being outscored 18-0 in the fourth quarter. The strong rushing game continued as both Aaron Duckworth and Isaiah Saunders both had nice games. The Vandals open Sun Belt play on the road in Mobile this Saturday.

7.) South Alabama Jaguars (1-2, beat Alabama A&M 45-0)
Last Week: 7

The Jags picked up their first win of the season as they crushed FCS Alabama A&M. Dallas Davis looked much improved and it’s very likely that he’ll get the start again this Saturday against Idaho as Cole Garvin is still recovering from an injury. The defense continued their very solid play to start the season.

8.) ULM Warhawks (0-2, lost to Southern Miss 28-17)
Last Week: 8

ULM lost out on a chance to pick up the best win of the Viator era as the Warhawks dropped a home game to USM. The quarterback carousel continues as sophomore Caleb Evansoutplayed junior Garrett Smith this past Saturday. Defense is still a big concern and they could be in trouble trying to slow down a UL-Lafayette offense that is putting up points in bunches.

9.) Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (1-1, lost at UAB 30-23)
Last Week: 9

The Chants fell in a hole early against UAB before a fourth quarter comeback to pull within one possession. Turnovers really hurt as they blew an impressive total defense performance as Coastal held UAB to 274 total yards. The passing game is struggling and we’ll see if Jamey Chadwell’s offense can get something going against Western Illinois this weekend.

10.) Texas State Bobcats (1-2, lost to Appalachian State 20-13)
Last Week: 10

Texas State jumped out to a 10-0 lead early before squandering it late in an impressive home performance against Appalachian State. Damian Williams played very well passing for 260 yards and the defense continues its outstanding play to start the season. Now Texas State will host UTSA this weekend for a Lonestar State showdown.

11.) Georgia Southern Eagles (0-2, bye week)
Last Week: 11

The Eagles were off this week and there was a lot to work on for Tyson Summers and his staff. The new option offense in Statesboro needs to make a lot of improvement and we’ll see if they can do any damage against a good Indiana defense on Saturday.

12.) Georgia State Panthers (0-2, lost at Penn State 56-0)
Last Week: 12

Don’t let the final score fool you, the Panthers looked much better than their opening performance against Tennessee State. The running game got going as Taz Bateman went for over 100 yards and the passing game should be fine against lesser competition. Georgia State has an excellent opportunity to pick up their first win of the season when they travel to Charlotte to take on winless squad.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is funny:

Game on! Idaho, Montana will renew longtime football rivalry beginning in 2018

Idaho Mistakesman claims that Montana and EWU will be Idaho's protected rivals in the Big Sky (i.e. Idaho would play them both every year). Yet in the same article they list Idaho's future 2018 and 2019 conference schedules and EWU is not listed both year. How hard was it to actually read your own damn article? Fucking morons.

So EWU is not the second protected rival. You know who is though? Idaho State or Portland State. So VERY likely ISU.

This league should have Idaho, MSU, Montana, and EWU playing each other every single year. But that's too hard to do when you water down your league with podunk directional schools like Southern Utah and Northern Colorado and commuter schools no one gives two shits about like Portland State and Sac St.

And BTW here are the future football schedules the next two years:

2018 Schedule:

09/01 @ Fresno State
09/08 OPEN
09/15 OPEN
09/22 @ UC Davis
09/29 vs Portland St
10/06 @ Idaho State
10/13 @ Montana State
10/20 vs Southern Utah
10/27 @ Eastern Washington
11/03 vs. North Dakota
11/10 vs Montana
11/17 @ Florida State

2019 Schedule:

08/31 @ Penn State
09/07 OPEN
09/14 @ Wyoming
09/21 OPEN
09/28 @ Northern Colorado
10/05 vs Weber State
10/12 @ Portland State
10/19 vs Idaho State
10/26 OPEN
11/02 vs. Cal Poly
11/09 @ Montana
11/16 vs Sacramento State
11/23 @ Northern Arizona

Still an extra home game to be added each year. Probably going to be Central Washington and College of Idaho.

That 2019 home slate is brutal. Probably going to be about 5k people in the stands on a good day.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How pathetic is my college football watching life.... I go from living in Pocatello Idaho and having to watch the ISU Bengals for the last 20+ years to moving to Portland Oregon 4 months ago and now I'm stuck with Portland State. If there is a God..... he's pissed at me. But I'm loyal and will root for these teams over your beloved Vandals. Sorry.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is funny:

Game on! Idaho, Montana will renew longtime football rivalry beginning in 2018

Idaho Mistakesman claims that Montana and EWU will be Idaho's protected rivals in the Big Sky (i.e. Idaho would play them both every year). Yet in the same article they list Idaho's future 2018 and 2019 conference schedules and EWU is not listed both year. How hard was it to actually read your own damn article? Fucking morons.

So EWU is not the second protected rival. You know who is though? Idaho State or Portland State. So VERY likely ISU.

This league should have Idaho, MSU, Montana, and EWU playing each other every single year. But that's too hard to do when you water down your league with podunk directional schools like Southern Utah and Northern Colorado and commuter schools no one gives two shits about like Portland State and Sac St.

And BTW here are the future football schedules the next two years:

2018 Schedule:

09/01 @ Fresno State
09/08 OPEN
09/15 OPEN
09/22 @ UC Davis
09/29 vs Portland St
10/06 @ Idaho State
10/13 @ Montana State
10/20 vs Southern Utah
10/27 @ Eastern Washington
11/03 vs. North Dakota
11/10 vs Montana
11/17 @ Florida State

2019 Schedule:

08/31 @ Penn State
09/07 OPEN
09/14 @ Wyoming
09/21 OPEN
09/28 @ Northern Colorado
10/05 vs Weber State
10/12 @ Portland State
10/19 vs Idaho State
10/26 OPEN
11/02 vs. Cal Poly
11/09 @ Montana
11/16 vs Sacramento State
11/23 @ Northern Arizona

Still an extra home game to be added each year. Probably going to be Central Washington and College of Idaho.

That 2019 home slate is brutal. Probably going to be about 5k people in the stands on a good day.

Apparently EWU isn't a protected rival until 2020. This wasn't mentioned in the Statesman article but news sources that actually do their jobs reported that the EWU protected game had to change due to North Dakota leaving the conference.

Also that 2018 game is against Florida. Not Florida State.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have high hopes for them this year. But I had the same feelings for the football program and look where that got me.

I guess the positive outlook would be that the football team lost some key guys while the basketball team lost essentially nobody.

Callandret got the medical redshirt, and Sanders, Mkrtychyan, both Sherwoods, Blake, Scott, and Allen all return. They better fucking make the tourney this year. If not it's gonna be a few years before they have a shot again. The only guys on the roster that aren't Seniors or Freshman are Allen and Nate Sherwood.

Just gotta hope they actually meet expectations with all this talent. First game against a real good Nevada team should be a good test.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some news of interest:

Eli Penny scored his first NFL TD last week against the Rams.

Battle of the Palouse: Basketball Edition coming up tomorrow. Cougs ares 6-1, Vandals are 5-2 (should be 6-1 but blew a big one in the Alaska Shootout against CSUB). Hopefully this is a good one.