• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "FCS" Superthread

Should FBS major conference teams only play FCS teams in the spring?

• Total voters

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Innermind's scheme is at least doable. This is a fantasy. No conference is going to kick people out to get back to 10 teams. This aint never gonna happen.
I wasn't trying to create a full plan, just pointing out what is wrong with the current landscape and all of the plans I've seen to date. No one expects people to be 'kicked' out, but to say reorganization for any large scale plan is out of the question isn't realistic either. I did say either go back to 10, or go to 18-20. 18 gives you 8 IC games and 4+ OOC that could include rivalry games from the other division in your conference and still give you a conference CCG before the bigger playoffs or as part of them.

I'm just not personally in favor of 12-16 team conferences and all of the unbalanced schedules they create. Look at all the flack over Bama's schedule this year. Every year some SEC team will avoid the worst games from the other division while other teams are forced to play them and yet we use overall conf record as the first tie breaker. How is that fair? If we are going to go to the trouble of fantasizing over how we would overall fix college football, then why not also factor in creating as fair of a playing field as we can?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schools you mentioned don't float enough cash to make caring about including them worth the trouble. Fugget about it. We don't want La Tech, UNI and such middies in the big leagues.

So have four conferences and give these teams the ability to move into the top tier and replace schools like BYU and Colorado and Wake Forest, etc.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never happen.

Neither will his plan, they're all hypotheticals. I would rather the ncaa have set, and flexible, divisions. A lot of "FEBS" teams are FBS quality.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither will his plan, they're all hypotheticals. I would rather the ncaa have set, and flexible, divisions. A lot of "FEBS" teams are FBS quality.

Innermind's plan has a chance with the exception of BD and BYU going into the Big 12. Sure it's a longshot, what plan isn't? But the following two plans have zero chance.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call my questioning of 12-16 team conferences a plan and I question how the mega conference idea has zero chance when it has been discussed and suggested to be happening over the last few years? Even 4 16 team conferences could work provided they used only a 7 game IC slate and left the rest for cross division rivals and OOC. At least there is more balance. 12-14 is just lame.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call my questioning of 12-16 team conferences a plan and I question how the mega conference idea has zero chance when it has been discussed and suggested to be happening over the last few years? Even 4 16 team conferences could work provided they used only a 7 game IC slate and left the rest for cross division rivals and OOC. At least there is more balance. 12-14 is just lame.

Too many unanswerable questions pop up.

Such as, for starters:

1. Who is going to be the Pac's 13-16 teams?
2. You are asking either the Big 12 or the ACC to close up shop. Which one? Neither of them will, of course.
3. Who will the Big Ten take as 15-16?
4. SEC? The SEC doesn't want or need anybody else.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Saban wants to follow the B1G again? Well he did come from up north and learned there so this would make sense.

LOL 2 your avi. The butthurt will never end...and God bless it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL 2 your avi. The butthurt will never end...and God bless it.

As was said in another post, I am honored that FL fans are living of the win over tOSU. You are welcome.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many unanswerable questions pop up.

Such as, for starters:

1. Who is going to be the Pac's 13-16 teams?
2. You are asking either the Big 12 or the ACC to close up shop. Which one? Neither of them will, of course.
3. Who will the Big Ten take as 15-16?
4. SEC? The SEC doesn't want or need anybody else.
Every plan to divide D1 has its problems. If you take more than 60ish are you leaving enough meat for the mid-majors to still exist and make money? How will their post season bowl picture change and can they still earn enough to survive?

As for your questions, the common thought is if everyone else is going to that system the others you believe will stand pat will end up falling in line given the choice of do that or be left behind and not have a seat at the table at all.

Yes, mega conferences have tough questions and I've said for years I don't believe we are really headed toward them. I'm simply saying what would be more fair given how unbalanced 12-14 team conferences are now with their wacky conference schedules. How do you fix that without going larger or smaller?

1. The pac would likely have to take teams from texas and Oklahoma potentially gutting part of the big12.
2. Both would cease to exist as they do now most likely. Maybe even a few SEC teams would have to move to the big12 while they pick up the southern most ACC teams. No one said progress would be easy.
3. They would take whoever they could from the ACC or the other conference with teams reasonably located.
4. The SEC doesn't have a need to change in the current climate. Neither does the Pac, but if a major change was needed to fix college football and it promised better athletics with more money they would all find a way to deal with it. Money talks and mega conferences that break away and create an elite level of football would promise to make all parties richer. Again the losers are the mid-majors and without addressing their existence in a post D1 122+ team era NO plan will ever work.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every plan to divide D1 has its problems. If you take more than 60ish are you leaving enough meat for the mid-majors to still exist and make money? How will their post season bowl picture change and can they still earn enough to survive?

As for your questions, the common thought is if everyone else is going to that system the others you believe will stand pat will end up falling in line given the choice of do that or be left behind and not have a seat at the table at all.

Yes, mega conferences have tough questions and I've said for years I don't believe we are really headed toward them. I'm simply saying what would be more fair given how unbalanced 12-14 team conferences are now with their wacky conference schedules. How do you fix that without going larger or smaller?

1. The pac would likely have to take teams from texas and Oklahoma potentially gutting part of the big12.
2. Both would cease to exist as they do now most likely. Maybe even a few SEC teams would have to move to the big12 while they pick up the southern most ACC teams. No one said progress would be easy.
3. They would take whoever they could from the ACC or the other conference with teams reasonably located.
4. The SEC doesn't have a need to change in the current climate. Neither does the Pac, but if a major change was needed to fix college football and it promised better athletics with more money they would all find a way to deal with it. Money talks and mega conferences that break away and create an elite level of football would promise to make all parties richer. Again the losers are the mid-majors and without addressing their existence in a post D1 122+ team era NO plan will ever work.

Innermind's plan is the simplest. We just take what we have and move forward. The Pac and Big 12 only need to invite in 2 more teams each IF THEY WANT TO. If they don't, we just move forward with ND and BYU as independents, if BYU is to be included. If not, no biggie. We take what we have and move forward, creating a "Super FBS division" and a not so super FBS division.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but doing so still creates the questions about how the mids still exist after the split. It is them who will tell you splitting will create the 'rich get richer and poor get poorer' scenario and how do the already poor lower D1 teams survive? It's all just pie in the sky no matter how you look at it. All I was saying is any system that leaves the lil guys behind AND still has unbalanced schedules aren't worth it IMO. Bring balance and fairness and I could care less if you left the mids to die.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Innermind's plan is the simplest. We just take what we have and move forward. The Pac and Big 12 only need to invite in 2 more teams each IF THEY WANT TO. If they don't, we just move forward with ND and BYU as independents, if BYU is to be included. If not, no biggie. We take what we have and move forward, creating a "Super FBS division" and a not so super FBS division.

You make it seem like these teams don't have an issue with leaving the NCAA. The NCAA will lose way to much money to allow a "Super FBS division" because of the loss of revenue for the rest of college football. It sounds good, but there has to be a way for everyone to be a part of it. In my opinion, the FBS level becomes as irrelevant as FCS without the opportunity to play big time football.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it seem like these teams don't have an issue with leaving the NCAA. The NCAA will lose way to much money to allow a "Super FBS division" because of the loss of revenue for the rest of college football. It sounds good, but there has to be a way for everyone to be a part of it. In my opinion, the FBS level becomes as irrelevant as FCS without the opportunity to play big time football.
Bingo, and that's why any plan is fantasy at this point. Even a simple one.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, the FBS level becomes as irrelevant as FCS without the opportunity to play big time football.

If the top FBS teams do split from the FBS in order to form the FEBS....sure, the remaining 60ish FBS teams will lose some relevancy, but it's not like the mid-major conferences are very relevant now anyways.

Under my proposed fantasy plan, most of the mid-majors will still get a couple nice paydays per season against the big boys because of the extra 13th game in the FEBS (7th home game for the power teams...which very likely will be played against mid-major foes).

And I'm sure that even if a split does occur, we will still get the televised Tuesday night ESPN2 MACtion games featuring Central Michigan vs Kent State...or the Thursday night Sunbelt games with Arkansas State vs. Louisiana Monroe. I'm one of those kooky college football junkies who loves watching those games! Plus, as I stated in my original plan, mid-majors such as Nevada, Central Florida, Air Force, et al would become national championship contenders in the reduced size regular FBS.

Sure the FEBS is a fantasy dream....but, I like dreaming....especially of an elite college football division.

Peace.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are your thoughts on your dream scenario giving teams like Nevada, Central Florida, and Air Force a chance to earn their way into the FEBS to replace the Wake Forests and Colorados of the FEBS?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are your thoughts on your dream scenario giving teams like Nevada, Central Florida, and Air Force a chance to earn their way into the FEBS to replace the Wake Forests and Colorados of the FEBS?

I've never supported the replacement idea...screw em...a place for everybody---and everybody knows their place.

The 8 to 10 best teams of a lower division is generally gonna be better than the 8 to 10 worst teams of the next higher division whether you're comparing the best of Div III to the worst of Div II...or the best of Div II to the worst of the FCS...or the best of the FCS to the worst of the FBS...I'm at peace knowing this will almost always happen.

One cannot go around trying to appease and accommodate everyone, otherwise you would end up with a continuous cluster-f**k situation.

There's always gonna be those stuck on the outside in the cold, looking in at what they could be a part of-----tough rocks for them. Again, it would be a crazy/mixed-up situation if you try to accommodate everyone. Too bad, so sad for those left on the outside, looking in.

But again on the bright side, those tougher teams left remaining in a lower division will legitimately have a perennial shot at a national title in their own division.

On a side note...IMO, the three service academies should never be separated into different divisions...it's an all or nothing scenario in regards to Army, Navy, and Air Force (they need to remain together)...and I believe they should not be a part of the elite FEBS...they have a higher calling/more important things to do, and I believe they should remain a part of regular FBS/mid-major football.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Innermind. Had a weird experience this morning. I dont really have an opinion on the paranormal. But anywayz I have a thread on the water cooler ( MAIN PAGE ) With your profession I dont know if you could add some input. But if so plz leave a suggestion or comment over there...

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Wake Forests and Colorados aren't going anywhere. Nobody is going to kick a school to add the likes of Nevada, UCF or Air Force.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wake Forests and Colorados aren't going anywhere. Nobody is going to kick a school to add the likes of Nevada, UCF or Air Force.

Of course the ACC wouldn't, but if the NCAA was in charge of which teams play in which conference or division then there is nothing the ACC can do about it. It's a hypothetical, my hypothetical would be to have four conferences and tiers like soccer does.

Also, do you realize that if Carolina would have left the ACC that Wake Forest would have ended up being a school like ECU and UCF and Nevada, etc?