• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2019 Recruiting Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop being a salty homer bitch. Just admit that Cleveland is trash in pro sports.
Nah, no need to admit to something that's not true. Sorry Cleveland is relevant and Detroit continues to be a sad, sorry stain on the midwest.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best GMs? LMAO!!!!
Further proof of your total ignorance. Dorsey has been and continues to be regarded as one of the best GMs in the NFL. From the Packers in the 2000s, to the current KC Chiefs, and now to the Browns, his record of talent evaluation is nearly unparalleled outside of a few others.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stetson Bennett, who transferred out of Georgia last year has transferred back. Former walkon. Kirby put him on scholarship. He already knows the system, so he might actually be the second string QB, at least in the spring. Welcome back. The defensive players say we'll never know how much he helped them prepare on the practice field.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for hijacking this thread, guize. I'll just summarize and move on:

The Tribe is and has been better than the Tigers for several years and will continue to be this year.

The Browns are better than the Lions this year and will continue to be for years to come.

I guess the Pistons might be better than the Cavs now? Irrelevant considering both suck.

The Blue Jackets are better than the Red Wings and have dominated them for 3 years straight.

Ohio State obviously is worlds better than michigan in football, and is 7-3 against them in baseball over the last 3 years (even though this is michigan's "good" sport).

But michigan has men's college basketball, I guess.

Reactions: gob

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Michigan was losing to Ohio State left and right when Tressel was the coach, and he mostly recruited Ohio players.

We will still get players from Florida/The south.

You will, but definitely not to the degree that Meyer did. He had connections in Florida that went back years into his time as Florida’s coach.

And same goes for Texas — you will pull in guys from the state, but not like Meyer did where he was pulling multiple top players a year from Texas.

Ryan Day just doesn’t have the same clout that Urban Meyer does. It will take time to build that up.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for hijacking this thread, guize. I'll just summarize and move on:

The Tribe is and has been better than the Tigers for several years and will continue to be this year.

The Browns are better than the Lions this year and will continue to be for years to come.

I guess the Pistons might be better than the Cavs now? Irrelevant considering both suck.

The Blue Jackets are better than the Red Wings and have dominated them for 3 years straight.

Ohio State obviously is worlds better than michigan in football, and is 7-3 against them in baseball over the last 3 years (even though this is michigan's "good" sport).

But michigan has men's college basketball, I guess.

LeBron James is so embarrassed of the state of Ohio, he left them twice to move elsewhere and it is his hometown.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will, but definitely not to the degree that Meyer did. He had connections in Florida that went back years into his time as Florida’s coach.

And same goes for Texas — you will pull in guys from the state, but not like Meyer did where he was pulling multiple top players a year from Texas.

Ryan Day just doesn’t have the same clout that Urban Meyer does. It will take time to build that up.
To be fair, the guy has been a pretty integral part of recruiting for the last two years. I'm not expecting him to immediately be bringing in top 2-3 classes right away, but it's foolish to think Urban hasn't ingratiated him into his pipeline in the South. For example, 2 of our 3 five-star signees this year are from the South, and both stuck with OSU without wavering even when Urban announced he was leaving.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron James is so embarrassed of the state of Ohio, he left them twice to move elsewhere and it is his hometown.
I was honestly pissed at all the Cavs fans that burned his jersey and shit when he left the first time. The Cavs' GM refused to surround him with any real talent and just assumed Lebron was going to lift a bunch of scrubs to a title every year. The fact that he took them to the Finals in 07 with a group of nobodies is still one of the more impressive things I've seen in sports. I would've left then if I were him too. Then he chose to come back and got us a ring, so if he wanted to make the decision to become a Laker, I was fine with it. He's done more for NE Ohio than almost any person ever. His heart is still there, and he'll continue to be a constant presence there for probably the rest of his life.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it 1 Ship in 60 years? Damn Cleveland is garbo!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the guy has been a pretty integral part of recruiting for the last two years. I'm not expecting him to immediately be bringing in top 2-3 classes right away, but it's foolish to think Urban hasn't ingratiated him into his pipeline in the South. For example, 2 of our 3 five-star signees this year are from the South, and both stuck with OSU without wavering even when Urban announced he was leaving.

Maybe Day proves me wrong and he starts pulling in multiple 5 star recruits from Texas and Florida every year.

I just don’t see it happening. I think OSU will still have top 10 recruiting classes almost yearly. I don’t see them getting to the top 1-3 like they have been.

If a recruit has to choose between Nick Saban and Urban Meyer — he has to do some thinking. If he has to choose between Nick Saban and Ryan Day. There isn’t much of a choice. For now.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was honestly pissed at all the Cavs fans that burned his jersey and shit when he left the first time. The Cavs' GM refused to surround him with any real talent and just assumed Lebron was going to lift a bunch of scrubs to a title every year. The fact that he took them to the Finals in 07 with a group of nobodies is still one of the more impressive things I've seen in sports. I would've left then if I were him too. Then he chose to come back and got us a ring, so if he wanted to make the decision to become a Laker, I was fine with it. He's done more for NE Ohio than almost any person ever. His heart is still there, and he'll continue to be a constant presence there for probably the rest of his life.

It wasn’t that Cleveland’s front office wouldn’t surround him with talent. It is that the talent didn’t want to come to Cleveland. It is the same spot the Pistons are in, in the NBA. Unless you trade for an elite player (like Cleveland with Love or Detroit this past summer) — you aren’t getting them to sign deals.

They want nice weather or major markets. And most want both. Cleveland and Detroit have neither. If Cleveland didn’t get like 3 first overall picks in a row and get Kyrie and the assets to trade for Love. NO CHANCE Lebron went back to Cleveland. He went back because they now had other stars to play alongside him.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Day proves me wrong and he starts pulling in multiple 5 star recruits from Texas and Florida every year.

I just don’t see it happening. I think OSU will still have top 10 recruiting classes almost yearly. I don’t see them getting to the top 1-3 like they have been.

If a recruit has to choose between Nick Saban and Urban Meyer — he has to do some thinking. If he has to choose between Nick Saban and Ryan Day. There isn’t much of a choice. For now.
I'm sure people thought the same thing about Saban and Dabo, and Saban and Kirby. Fortunately, Meyer built OSU up to an elite level. Of course there's the chance that Day is no more than a 9-3/10-2 coach, which would suck. It'd be surprising, but not impossible. Next year will be important. We don't have a killer OOC (Cincy is decent but still not a team that should beat us), and the conference slate is manageable with PSU and MSU at home. Honestly, I'm expecting 10-2 for his first year, depending on what happens with the QB situation. After that, he has to show up big. It'll definitely be interesting.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bad thing for Michigan fans is if Day happens to be good he will be around for a LONG time, the man is only 39.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn’t that Cleveland’s front office wouldn’t surround him with talent. It is that the talent didn’t want to come to Cleveland. It is the same spot the Pistons are in, in the NBA. Unless you trade for an elite player (like Cleveland with Love or Detroit this past summer) — you aren’t getting them to sign deals.

They want nice weather or major markets. And most want both. Cleveland and Detroit have neither. If Cleveland didn’t get like 3 first overall picks in a row and get Kyrie and the assets to trade for Love. NO CHANCE Lebron went back to Cleveland. He went back because they now had other stars to play alongside him.
They had the opportunity to trade for Amare Stoudemire in his prime, but their dipshit GM didn't want to trade JJ Hickson. They could've undoubtedly gotten some good players to come there if they tried, but they just didn't.

Not sure I agree with you about the whole "nice weather/market" thing. The Cavs got Kyrie to sign an extension with them before James came back. The Browns got Jarvis Landry to sign a 5 year deal, and unless they're just lying, it looks like the young Browns nucleus loves being there and will continue to play there if they get paid. The Indians have been able to sign Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Jose Ramirez, Jason Kipnis, and Yonder Alonso after they all had All-Star appearances or much more. Hell, even the Tigers and Lions have gotten guys to sign contracts when they could've gone elsewhere if they wanted. These guys are so damn rich, they can travel whenever they want. They want titles.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the opportunity to trade for Amare Stoudemire in his prime, but their dipshit GM didn't want to trade JJ Hickson. They could've undoubtedly gotten some good players to come there if they tried, but they just didn't.

Not sure I agree with you about the whole "nice weather/market" thing. The Cavs got Kyrie to sign an extension with them before James came back. The Browns got Jarvis Landry to sign a 5 year deal, and unless they're just lying, it looks like the young Browns nucleus loves being there and will continue to play there if they get paid. The Indians have been able to sign Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Jose Ramirez, Jason Kipnis, and Yonder Alonso after they all had All-Star appearances or much more. Hell, even the Tigers and Lions have gotten guys to sign contracts when they could've gone elsewhere if they wanted. These guys are so damn rich, they can travel whenever they want. They want titles.
Basketball is much different than baseball. Baseball — the players will go to where the money is.

Basketball will take less to go to a big market because they can make so much more on endorsements and shoe deals etc.