• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

247Sports Top 10 Defenses in 2019

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projecting the top 10 defenses of 2019

From Feb 14

10. CLEMSON TIGERS

The biggest and best parts of Clemson’s front seven in 2018 will be going on to the NFL Draft, so there could be a bit of a drop off for the Tiger defense. I’ll keep them in the top 10 for two reasons. First of all, Dabo Swinney has proven he can recruit and develop players at a high level. Second of all, the secondary should be quite good with cornerback A.J. Terrell and safeties Isaiah Simmons and Tanner Muse returning.
9. MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

The Wolverines, like Clemson, could fall out of the top 10 due to many key losses on the defensive side of the ball. However, I’m banking on Don Brown workin his magic with 2019’s unit. 2018 didn’t end on a high note for the Michigan defense, but the Wolverines still return some integral pieces in linebacker Josh Uche, safety Josh Metellus, and linebacker John Ross.
8. GEORGIA BULLDOGS

The Bulldogs finished just outside the top 10 in the nation in total defense last season, but they’ll be able to creep up there in 2019. Kirby Smart just doesn’t coach average defenses. Leading the charge for Georgia’s defense in 2019 will be returning contributors Richard Lecounte III, linebacker Tae Crowder, and safety J.R. Reed. Expect the defense to be as good as ever in Athens next year.
7. SOUTHERN MISS GOLDEN EAGLES

The Golden Eagles finished the season ranked No. 3 in total defense. A decent amount of that success goes to Southern Miss’ two fantastic cornerbacks in Ky’El Hemby and Ty Williams. Hemby intercepted six passes, and Williams picked off three. With several key players from this defense coming back, Southern Miss will be a stingy force in the C-USA this fall.
6. LSU TIGERS

The Tigers get some legitimate superstars back on defense this year. Grant Delpit may be the best safety in the entire country, which is clear from his 5.0 sacks and five interceptions. In the front seven, defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence and linebacker Michael Divinity Jr will be back. Between those three players alone, LSU returns a lot of production. Ed Orgeron’s defense should be as salty as ever.
5. MIAMI HURRICANES

After Mark Richt’s retirement, former Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz became the head coach. His defense returns some key players for the 2019 season too. Star linebacker Shaq Quarterman is back to make plays all over the field. Jonathan Garvin will be there to rush the passer, and Trajan Brandy is there to patrol the secondary. Miami’s defense will need another great season to bounce back after a disappointing one in 2018.
4. WASHINGTON HUSKIES

Chris Petersen’s teams have had great success on the defensive side of the ball at Washington. That trend shouldn’t change in 2019 with defensive lineman Levi Onwuzurike and linebacker Benning Potoa’e returning. The defense will give Washington a shot to win yet another conference championship under Petersen.
3. MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS

After really struggling in Knoxville, Bob Shoop reminded people just how great he is as a defensive coordinator. He coached the top unit in the country in terms of total defense. Even though Montez Sweat leaves, the Bulldogs still have enough talent to keep teams out of the end zone. Linebacker Erroll Thompson will be one of the players who steps up to lead that unit next season.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

The Crimson Tide had an unusually weak year on defense by their standards. They still finished 16th in the nation in total defense. It’s unlikely that Nick Saban allows that again in 2019. With studs like linebacker Dylan Moses, defensive lineman LaBryan Ray, and cornerback Patrick Surtain returning, Alabama will get back to being dominant on the defensive side of the ball.
1. IOWA HAWKEYES

One of the best defensive players — if not the best — in the country returns to the Hawkeyes in the form of A.J. Epenesa. Coming off a season where he racked up 10.5 sacks, Epenesa will continue to burn opposing offensive lineman. He’s not alone on the defensive line. Chauncey Golston will be on the other side to help pressure the quarterback. Iowa shouldn’t see a drop off on the defensive side of the football.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. WASHINGTON HUSKIES
Chris Petersen’s teams have had great success on the defensive side of the ball at Washington. That trend shouldn’t change in 2019 with defensive lineman Levi Onwuzurike and linebacker Benning Potoa’e returning. The defense will give Washington a shot to win yet another conference championship under Petersen.

defense.jpg

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#7 - Southern Miss. and #5 - Miami?

giphy.gif
Michigan State was top 10 in every single category last season, lose next to nothing doesn’t make the list. Michigan losses 2/3 of their defense and makes the list.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did OU even make the top 100? :hope:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started intrigued by this list as I saw Clemson was #10, and even got more intrigued to see Michigan so low, I became curious as to who in the world could have better defenses to make Clemson, a program in their championship runs has been known for stout defenses, be so low on the list and then I got to Southern Miss at #7 and thought c'mon how can Southern Miss have a top 10 defense? But I continued reading on as the top 5 was just a few scroll downs away. Then came #2 and it was Alabama. I paused the scroll down as to digest Alabama being ranked #2 and to also ponder who in the world could be #1 given Clemson, Georgia and Alabama had already been ranked.

I scrolled to #1 and basically in a gif this was my reaction to the entire list I had just read.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DL will be really good again in a year or so with the upcoming talent, but I don't think Michigan's defense will be top 10 quality this year. we'll see.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. WASHINGTON HUSKIES

defense.jpg
Key words on that poster "In the PAC". Outside the PAC they haven't done so well under Peterson.

Washington against P5 teams OOC since 2015

Lost to Alabama 24-7
Lost to Penn St 35-28
Lost to Auburn 21-16
Lost to Ohio State 28-23

They did beat Rutgers twice though. So yay for scheduling Rutgers.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words on that poster "In the PAC". Outside the PAC they haven't done so well under Peterson.

Washington against P5 teams OOC since 2015

Lost to Alabama 24-7
Lost to Penn St 35-28
Lost to Auburn 21-16
Lost to Ohio State 28-23

They did beat Rutgers twice though. So yay for scheduling Rutgers.

Yeah but outside of Auburn those were some of the best teams and offenses in the entire country. Two of those were NY’s 6 games and another was a playoff game. Even Auburn was the marquee opening game of the season in terms of profile. Giving up 27 on average to those kind of top notch offenses is pretty solid, especially considering the scoring averages these days. The problem is the offense has been fairly pedestrian and they haven’t challenged themselves much OOC.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington held Bama to 57 passing yards. Bama dud average 5.4 on the ground, but most of that came from Bo's 4th quarter run when Washington's defense was worn down. The offense couldn't stay on the field.