• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018/2019 Braves offseason thread

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nats underpermorming their pythag by a large margin helped too.

We had the best run differential in the division, but had the Nats played like the numbers say they should have, the division would have came down to the wire.
I'll be honest, if all teams stay healthy and perform how they should...I think we finish 3rd in the division. Which is a crime considering we had the opportunity to upgrade big time at a couple of positions and not even have to sign names like Harper or Machado

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, if all teams stay healthy and perform how they should...I think we finish 3rd in the division. Which is a crime considering we had the opportunity to upgrade big time at a couple of positions and not even have to sign names like Harper or Machado

Even if we couldn't have signed Grandall or Ramos(we could have) or traded for Realmuto(we could have), we would have been better off riding with the Suzuki-Flowers platoon behind the plate than a Flowers-McCann duo, and even if we were hell bent on bringing back an old McCann, I'll never understand why we kept Flowers over Suzuki.

Could have signed AJ Pollack if Harper wasn't an option, but instead, we brought back Markakis. And don't get me wrong, if Markakis puts up the same numbers as last season, 6 million is a bargain, but he's just not a difference maker.

Only position we upgraded was at third base and bench depth, and even that isn't a sure thing given Donaldson's injury history. Bullpen should be better with O'Day being added, but he came over with Gausman last season so doesn't really count.

We're gonna have to count on the young pieces in our lineup taking the next step forward. Acuna, Albies and Dansby all need to be big time contributors, and it wouldn't hurt if Ender didn't wait until after the ASB to become productive at the plate.

On paper, we probably have the best lineup in the division, but doing nothing to address the starting pitching or bullpen this offseason flat out sucks.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we couldn't have signed Grandall or Ramos(we could have) or traded for Realmuto(we could have), we would have been better off riding with the Suzuki-Flowers platoon behind the plate than a Flowers-McCann duo, and even if we were hell bent on bringing back an old McCann, I'll never understand why we kept Flowers over Suzuki.

Could have signed AJ Pollack if Harper wasn't an option, but instead, we brought back Markakis. And don't get me wrong, if Markakis puts up the same numbers as last season, 6 million is a bargain, but he's just not a difference maker.

Only position we upgraded was at third base and bench depth, and even that isn't a sure thing given Donaldson's injury history. Bullpen should be better with O'Day being added, but he came over with Gausman last season so doesn't really count.

We're gonna have to count on the young pieces in our lineup taking the next step forward. Acuna, Albies and Dansby all need to be big time contributors, and it wouldn't hurt if Ender didn't wait until after the ASB to become productive at the plate.

On paper, we probably have the best lineup in the division, but doing nothing to address the starting pitching or bullpen this offseason flat out sucks.
Supposedly Flowers is the best in the game at framing pitches. That's fine, but we still need offense. We don't have that at C now based on last season. Agreed, we would've been better off with Flowers-Suzuki. I'd rather have kept Suzuki over Flowers

Agreed on RF. Markakis would be fine if we were getting good production from CF and SS, we haven't been. 3B remains to be seen IMO so agreed on Donaldson. Great signing, IF he's healthy and the player we saw a couple years ago. Don't forget he's what, 33 now?

We could still add Kimbrel which I think would shore up the bullpen enough. I think we should've added a SP but maybe this new pitching coach will be a major upgrade over Hernandez and Folty, Newcomb and Gaus all progress. And then we see the likes of Touki, Wright etc take the next step. Supposedly Gohara has cleared his head now and lost a bunch of weight.

Riley better be the real deal since we seemed hell bent on keeping him, but blocking him this year with Donaldson. Who I guess could be another stopgap player till Riley quits K'ing so much in the minors