• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Braves season thread

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers and catchers are reporting in just a couple of weeks, so it's about time to move on to a new season thread.

Last year was a mixed bag. I had zero complaints about the first half of the season, and we even managed to reach .500 right after the All Star Break, but then we just fell apart. I didn't have playoff aspirations for us last season, but given the way the season started and the way it ended, it was one of the most painful seasons I've ever endured(I was born in 91, so those 80's teams were before my time).

Honestly, I'm not real sure what to expect with the upcoming season. I definitely want to see marked improvement, and anything less than 75 wins will be a major disappointment for me.

Key subtractions- Jim Johnson, Matt Kemp, Kevin Maitan
Key additions- Brandon McCarthy, Scott Kazmir, Charlie Culberson, no Jim Johnson, no Matt Kemp

We were non existent in the FA market, and we were only involved in one trade worth talking about, and we lost a bunch of international prospects but, I'd still call the offseason a success simply for getting rid of Jim Johnson and Matt Kemp. That's the definition of addition by subtraction to me.

Any FA signings or trades will alter my predictions, but given who we have now, this is who I expect to make the opening day 25 man roster:

C- Tyler Flowers
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Ozzie Albies
3B- Johan Camargo
SS- Dansby Swanson
LF- Ronald Acuna
CF- Ender Inciarte
RF- Nick Markakis

BN- Kurt Suzuki- C
BN- Rio Ruiz- corner infielder
BN- Charlie Culberson- utility infielder
BN- Lane Adams- OF
BN- Preston Tucker- OF

SP- Julio Teheran
SP- Sean Newcomb
SP- Luiz Gohara
SP- Lucas Sims
SP- Brandon McCarthy

BP- Sam Freeman
BP- Rex Brothers
BP- Dan Winkler
BP- AJ Minter
BP- Jose Ramirez
SU- Mauricio Cabrera
CL- Arodys Vizcaino

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers and catchers are reporting in just a couple of weeks, so it's about time to move on to a new season thread.

Last year was a mixed bag. I had zero complaints about the first half of the season, and we even managed to reach .500 right after the All Star Break, but then we just fell apart. I didn't have playoff aspirations for us last season, but given the way the season started and the way it ended, it was one of the most painful seasons I've ever endured(I was born in 91, so those 80's teams were before my time).

Honestly, I'm not real sure what to expect with the upcoming season. I definitely want to see marked improvement, and anything less than 75 wins will be a major disappointment for me.

Key subtractions- Jim Johnson, Matt Kemp, Kevin Maitan
Key additions- Brandon McCarthy, Scott Kazmir, Charlie Culberson, no Jim Johnson, no Matt Kemp

We were non existent in the FA market, and we were only involved in one trade worth talking about, and we lost a bunch of international prospects but, I'd still call the offseason a success simply for getting rid of Jim Johnson and Matt Kemp. That's the definition of addition by subtraction to me.

Any FA signings or trades will alter my predictions, but given who we have now, this is who I expect to make the opening day 25 man roster:

C- Tyler Flowers
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Ozzie Albies
3B- Johan Camargo
SS- Dansby Swanson
LF- Ronald Acuna
CF- Ender Inciarte
RF- Nick Markakis

BN- Kurt Suzuki- C
BN- Rio Ruiz- corner infielder
BN- Charlie Culberson- utility infielder
BN- Lane Adams- OF
BN- Preston Tucker- OF

SP- Julio Teheran
SP- Sean Newcomb
SP- Luiz Gohara
SP- Lucas Sims
SP- Brandon McCarthy

BP- Sam Freeman
BP- Rex Brothers
BP- Dan Winkler
BP- AJ Minter
BP- Jose Ramirez
SU- Mauricio Cabrera
CL- Arodys Vizcaino

My dumbass forgot Folty.

So my rotation prediction is:

Teheran
Newcomb
Folty
Gohara
McCarthy

brandonk989

Hoopla Cash
$ 965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growth is key this year. I think we are still 1 year away from a legit playoff run but if the right pieces fall into place we can surprise some people this year. Really excited for a full year of Ozzie and 95% of the year with Acuna. I think a lot of people agree that 3rd base continues to be an area of concern. Camargo has been tearing the cover off the ball in winter league play and I was actually a bit surprised to see he hit .299 in 241 at bats last year. I think he deserves a shot to be the full time guy. The young guys are going to get a chance to pitch. Sims may even slide into the bullpen. And finally call me crazy but I really like the back end of the bullpen with Minter, Ramirez, Cabrera, and Vizcaino.

80-82 wins is my guess. 2019 we roll.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growth is key this year. I think we are still 1 year away from a legit playoff run but if the right pieces fall into place we can surprise some people this year. Really excited for a full year of Ozzie and 95% of the year with Acuna. I think a lot of people agree that 3rd base continues to be an area of concern. Camargo has been tearing the cover off the ball in winter league play and I was actually a bit surprised to see he hit .299 in 241 at bats last year. I think he deserves a shot to be the full time guy. The young guys are going to get a chance to pitch. Sims may even slide into the bullpen. And finally call me crazy but I really like the back end of the bullpen with Minter, Ramirez, Cabrera, and Vizcaino.

80-82 wins is my guess. 2019 we roll.

I'd be very satisfied with finishing .500 this season.

This is the last year for Markakis, and I'm gonna be a little pissed if we're not players in next season's loaded FA class though.

You can build a solid core from within, but if we're ever gonna get over the top, we're gonna need outside help.

We couldn't have done it in 95 without Maddux, McGriff, Grissom, etc.

The Cubs couldn't have done it without Lester, Zobrist, Arietta, Fowler, Chapman, etc.

The Astros couldn't have done it without Verlander, McCann, Gattis, Beltran, etc

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
83-79. I expect big things from Gohara. I hope we find a way to unload Teheran and Markakis

brandonk989

Hoopla Cash
$ 965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gohara can be VERY good. Find the right deals for Teheran and Markakis and add the few remaining pieces next offseason.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much does the punishment that was handed down to the Braves this off-season hurt in the short term and the long term?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much does the punishment that was handed down to the Braves this off-season hurt in the short term and the long term?

Short term? None at all. Maitan was the only high ranked prospect we lost, and I think he's still a teenager.

Impossible to tell long term, but after the purge, we're still the top ranked farm system.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a holler around that time. If it's a weekend game, I might try to make it.
We'll be up in Helen for the family reunion on Friday and Saturday, then we'll head to Atlanta for the ballgame on Sunday. I'll shoot ya a reminder before we head out to Helen.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folty lost his arbitration case.

He'll be getting 2.2 million. He was asking for 2.3 million. Was 100k really worth going to an arbitration case over? If funds are that tight, maybe Liberty Media should sell the team to an owner that sees this team as more than just a spreadsheet.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed Chris Stewart to a one year deal, not MLB guaranteed.

Only way this makes any sense is if either Flowers or Suzuki are about to get dealt. Don't think our catching situation left us any room to complain.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're working on signing Peter Moylan. Hopefully to a minor league deal.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're working on signing Peter Moylan. Hopefully to a minor league deal.

Moylan is officially a Brave again. A little over half a million guaranteed and around a 650K bonus if he makes the team. Pretty good chance he makes the team. Wasn't dominant by any means, but was a serviceable middle reliever, very tough on righties for KC the last couple of years.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moylan is officially a Brave again. A little over half a million guaranteed and around a 650K bonus if he makes the team. Pretty good chance he makes the team. Wasn't dominant by any means, but was a serviceable middle reliever, very tough on righties for KC the last couple of years.

Mauricio Cabrera designated for assignment.

Guess we're giving up on him.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He cleared waivers and was outrighted to AAA. Can't believe nobody would take a chance on triple digits even with his issues.

Triple digits is worthless if you don't have an offspeed pitch to keep the hitters honest and you can't locate. He took a pretty big step back last season, but I'm glad he's still under our control just in case he ever does figure it out.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Spring Training game was today. Looking at the box score, seems our bats were cold, only got 2 runs across, but every pitcher that has any shot of making the team pitched shutout ball.

Some dude I've never heard of allowed all 6 runs.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Spring Training game was today. Looking at the box score, seems our bats were cold, only got 2 runs across, but every pitcher that has any shot of making the team pitched shutout ball.

Some dude I've never heard of allowed all 6 runs.

oh boy...and the pain starts now.....