• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Sterling said something in a private conversation. But then that thing was made public and verified to be him and his true opinion. At that point his business partners are free to act however they see fit, as long as it is within the bounds of their agreement, which they have.

The NBA owners are all business partners. They have two jobs... to maximize profit for their team, and to work together to maximize profit for the whole league. If they feel that one partner is endangering the profitability of the league, they will use the mechanisms available in the by laws to take care of the situation.

And can we please stop acting like Sterling is having property taken away from him? He's being forced, through the contract that he signed himself, to sell his team. Selling your car is not the same as having it stolen.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what? This dude has more money than I'll make in 5 lifetimes. Screw him and his privacy. Just because he has money doesn't mean he's not an idiot. And it's been known for some time that he was a racist idiot. It just took a "public moment" to indict him for it.

Let me first say that I in no way support Sterling, and I believe he got what he deserved. Now with that said, what does money have to do with the issue? He is an American citizen just like you and me. He is entitled to the same privacy laws that any other person is, whether they are poor or rich.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By having plenty of "money" this dude has kept his racism sheltered.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya know everyone here is acting like this is a huge blow in the fight against racism news flash it isnt .. all that they did is stop this mans words for right now .. you can stop peoples words from being heard but you cant take what is in their hearts and minds so not much was accomplished here ..

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry you don't get it.

Your argument makes no sense. Money has nothing to do with the racism issue. Sterling is a racist regardless of how much he is worth.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

NBA beat reporters are reporting that in a poll of NBA owners, the vote is 29-0 in favor of terminating Sterling's franchise......

In the OBVIOUS news department, Sterling plans to fight this. This is going to be a long, drawn out battle, one in which Sterling may not even live to see the end of.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are his property rights being usurped?

He's banned for DAMAGING the league, a fact of which there is no dispute.

He still owns the team. Efforts to remove him as owner are going to be damn near impossible, costly, and long drawn out.

People keep talking about his rights. Does he have a right to be a bigot? YES. The question you should ask yourself is does a bigot need to own a business where 99% of his employees are a part of the group he's biased against? Does the league have the right to remove someone that's damaging their brand? Do the players have a right to work in a non-hostile environment?

Basically, do you believe his right to be a bigot trumps every other "right" presented here? If so, you may want to re-check your humanity and priorities.

Then I'd say a whole bunch of these owners have no right to play because probably the big difference is hey weren't set up. Many of the players would be in the same boat. All the guy did was say some bad stuff in the privacy of his own home

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatsup.jpg

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the 2.5 million is just a drop in a bucket to a billionaire, it's the maximum fine the NBA can give. So be it. And the best part, the old guy will be out.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

NBA beat reporters are reporting that in a poll of NBA owners, the vote is 29-0 in favor of terminating Sterling's franchise......

I suspect that much like Brown vs. Topeka the vote will be unanimous. No owner wants to be listed as the one who voted against this. Yeah, they are afraid of some precedent being set. But they are even MORE afraid of boycotts or a general strike by the players.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling isn't being dealt with by any court. He's not accused of any crime. He's not in any legal trouble. He's just being dealt with by his business partners for endangering their business.

He had a private conversation expressing racist views. That conversation was made public and verified to be him. Regardless of how that information got public, it did and it threatened the profitability of the NBA. His business partners can, through mechanisms in the ownership bylaws, take action and it looks like they will.

Let's not forget that when Sterling bought the Clippers he signed documents stating that the owners could force him to sell if a majority of them voted for it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else finds it funny that the main 2 people in this story are Sterling and Silver???

sterling silver for ALL

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the OP.....Anyone that is talking on the phone is not having a private conversation.

In a legal sense, or in a sense that we should all know by know that someone, or something, is listening in? By the way, has it been determined yet how this recording was made?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else find it funny that the main two people in this story are sterling and silver??

Sterling Silver for All!!!

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling isn't being dealt with by any court. He's not accused of any crime. He's not in any legal trouble. He's just being dealt with by his business partners for endangering their business.

He had a private conversation expressing racist views. That conversation was made public and verified to be him. Regardless of how that information got public, it did and it threatened the profitability of the NBA. His business partners can, through mechanisms in the ownership bylaws, take action and it looks like they will.

Let's not forget that when Sterling bought the Clippers he signed documents stating that the owners could force him to sell if a majority of them voted for it.

That's the crux of my question. Can we be held responsible for what we say in private? I know that if I privately threatened to blow up a school or airport, and the person I was speaking to could go to the police and I'd be hauled away in a second. As a non-attorney, what constitutes privleged and private conversation?