• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't condone Sterling actions. He's a bigot, clearly, but I can't support a precedence on Thought Crimes, and I don't support double standards either. Equality kinda needs to be equal in order to work.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johnson and his bucket of wealthy friends just got themselves a team................I wonder if Phil can get out of that NY contract now..........
I find it hard to believe that Magic would want to alienate his Lakers foundation by owning the other Los Angeles based NBA team.

Can you picture Magic publicly rooting for anyone other than the Lakers?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, sterlings $2.5m fine is to be donated to groups that quash racism. How much will the naacp get? :laugh3:

And if they get enough does sterling still get his 2nd lifetime achievment award from the naacp?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johnson and his bucket of wealthy friends just got themselves a team................I wonder if Phil can get out of that NY contract now..........

That would be a PR gem for the NBA. Problem is, Magic is no more black than I am. He lives in Bel Air and hangs around white millionaires all day. They come down out of Beverly Hills into Watts to open another Starbucks franchise and Magic gets on the news talking about what he's doing for "his people" right before he gets back in the Rolls and heads to Mulholland Drive.

Puhlease. "African American." :rollseyes:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't condone Sterling actions. He's a bigot, clearly, but I can't support a precedence on Thought Crimes, and I don't support double standards either. Equality kinda needs to be equal in order to work.

As usual, beardown makes sense. :suds: No one is defending this asshole, but this whole thing is pure bullshit.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about all of this is that the Clippers has made the Lakers look normal:suds:

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't fix every problem in the world. I get that and I agree, but with all due respect this conversation is now everyone's business because it was made public and it does reflect the opinions of a business owner in a unique position of power and the ability to exploit the others for profit. While we as a society cannot fix every problem - WE CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM RIGHT NOW AND THEN MOVE FORWARD TO THE NEXT PROBLEM. The Cuban Attitude is the reason I have ended up with cars that were no longer worth repairing. Those $100 dollar repairs adds up after awhile.

More important the NBA does not belong to the 30 owners. The NBA belongs to everyone and the the owners, players and coaches are stewards of keeping the NBA going forward for the fans now and for the next generation. What we don't need or want is an owner who by his own mouth admits that he hates black people. If you want to put the woman in jail fine - but without her the straw that broke the camels back and became enough to force him out - would not have happened. The woman did this country a fine service and I thank her(I know this is going to go well for the Sterling defenders/racists)

Um, yeah, it actually does belong to the owners.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right, and the owners aren't going to set the precedent that that's acceptable. They know damn well it could easily be twisted to apply to them next.

But even if the owners were to vote to boot him, from the text of the NBA rules for franchises that has been posted, there has to be an actual concrete contract breach for the owners to be capable of kicking him, with I think it was 75% of the vote. He will take the league to court and it could easily cost them near a billion dollars if they kick him without a contractually valid reason.

Think the remaining owners have no choice to vote Sterling out of the league. The ramifications would be huge if it was leaked who voted no, to not to have him removed.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke. :L

What is Larry Johnson's punishment?

What did I miss? Are we talking about Johnson saying that black people should start their own league or was there something where he said that he hates white people? I mean I'm just trying to figure out why you're trying to steer this convo toward Johnson's comments about a black owned league. Are you really comparing the 2?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about all of this is that the Clippers has made the Lakers look normal:suds:

Will be interesting to see if the new ownership wants to talk about moving the team out of Staples. They'd get closer to their core fan by moving back to The Forum. :laugh:

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he do anything besides saying racist things in private?? This is not over!!! which sucks because this should have been over already!!!

Apparently he's done a lot of things and this is just the straw. But as Silver said, his comments were made public so it really doesn't matter if it was at his home.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did I miss? Are we talking about Johnson saying that black people should start their own league or was there something where he said that he hates white people? I mean I'm just trying to figure out why you're trying to steer this convo toward Johnson's comments about a black owned league. Are you really comparing the 2?

There is no comparison.

One had a private conversation with his domestic partner in which he asked her not to broadcast interactions with black people on social networks.

The other chose to broadcast racism on social networks himself and isn't apologizing about it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the remaining owners have no choice to vote Sterling out of the league. The ramifications would be huge if it was leaked who voted no, to not to have him removed.

Bull. You don't have to support the man or his opinions to vote against committing a massive contractual violation.

Or to refuse to set the precedent that any private conversation is grounds to take your property worth hundreds of millions.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he's done a lot of things and this is just the straw. But as Silver said, his comments were made public so it really doesn't matter if it was at his home.

I'm outside your house right now taping your conversation with your wife from your bedroom. And I'm going to sell it to TMZ. And you're cool with that. right?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right, and the owners aren't going to set the precedent that that's acceptable. They know damn well it could easily be twisted to apply to them next.

But even if the owners were to vote to boot him, from the text of the NBA rules for franchises that has been posted, there has to be an actual concrete contract breach for the owners to be capable of kicking him, with I think it was 75% of the vote. He will take the league to court and it could easily cost them near a billion dollars if they kick him without a contractually valid reason.

If they behave themselves, they won't have to worry about anything being "twisted" to apply tot hem next.

outlaw okie

Racer X
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see nothing wrong with a bunch of white people acting like they have never said anything bad about black people. It makes me feel all sweet inside.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they behave themselves, they won't have to worry about anything being "twisted" to apply tot hem next.

And by "behave themselves" you mean conform their private bedroom conversations to your brand of political correctness?

Bullshit.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't thought crimes. He said them outloud. Even more so, it was nothing illegal, he's not being tried in a court of law, he's being tried in the court of public opinion. Sometimes the CPO is the only way to handle the ills of our society.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BLASPHEMING RACIST!!!!