• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have anything negative to say about black people, homosexuals, Jews or terrorists, you will be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. This is 2014 America, people.

Completely agree with this, don't agree it should be done by the NBA.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Sterling is going to "sell" the Clippers without a fight. I mean the NBA can't force him to sell either I don't think and him being the type of lawyer he is.. This won't be an easy/short issue

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he said this in public by all means, burn him alive.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked it wasn't someone outside his house recording the conversation, it was the person IN the conversation. Don't spend that 10¢ TMZ gives you for my conversation in one place!

In California, these are equally illegal.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the reason you have to be careful who you express your personal opinions too. If he wanted that opinion to not get out, then he shouldn't have shared with a 23 year old bimbo when he was sleeping with her. It's not about being a private conversation -it's about his personal views which are no longer private and his opinions are harmful and destructive to the benefits of the NBA

and for crying out loud IF you find yourself with that much money... at least get a HOT young chick for crying out loud!

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by "behave themselves" you mean conform their private bedroom conversations to your brand of political correctness?

Bullshit.

What I mean is your dirty laundry will be aired. It may not be today, but someday it will. So if you are not acting like society expects you to act, then be prepared for the concequesnces.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and for crying out loud IF you find yourself with that much money... at least get a HOT young chick for crying out loud!

What a disgusting bitch she is. He needs to get tested for the drip. :puke:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Everyone knows he was just kidding. Stop being an asshole about this."

"His comment wasn't racist. I mean it was racist but it wasn't racist racist!"

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not ideal, but the reality is that racist comments about a race that was very recently enslaved and mistreated in this country will get more of a backlash than racist comments about a race that wasn't.

And racist comments by a rich businessman who employs many members of the race he disparaged will get more of a backlash than someone else.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing unfair being done to Sterling. If his business partners decide that its best for business to legally cut him out of the business... that's there prerogative as American businessman. (Let's not forget that Silver is an employee of the owners whose job is to a degree to arbitrate their business partnership)

To hold the racist views that he did together with the business position that he did at the same time was always a risky thing. If that was every outed in a verifiable and public way... he would be doomed. And it was, so now he is.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Sterling is going to "sell" the Clippers without a fight. I mean the NBA can't force him to sell either I don't think and him being the type of lawyer he is.. This won't be an easy/short issue

Yes they can - under the provisions of the bi-laws if a team owner's actions become so egregerious that they are harmful to the NBA in general, then he or she can be removed with a two-thirds majority vote. What this translates to is they would vote to remove him - then because he is no longer an NBA team, there would not be any games scheduled in the NBA for him. If he wants to earn his 535 million for the team - then he needs to sell now

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In California, these are equally illegal.

Actually, I'm looking around and based on where it is, you may actually have an easier time defending recording it as an outsider than as a participant. If you do it from outside their house and close enough to public ground, it may no longer be considered a private conversation because it can be heard from somewhere non-private. You can't demonstrate that recording it as a member of the private conversation because you were a part of it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the reality is that racist comments about black people will get more of a backlash than racist comments about white people

Thank you for having the character to admit that. :suds:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing - this won't take place in any court, federal or state - both sides are legally bound by binding arbitration. The courts won't get involved in this. You all need to study up on how it works in Major League Sports. The NBA has vast powers and teeth

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is your dirty laundry will be aired. It may not be today, but someday it will. So if you are not acting like society expects you to act, then be prepared for the concequesnces.

A private conversation, illegally recorded and publicized, is not grounds to force someone to divest their property. The owners will not set a precedent that it is.

There are consequences, but there are also limits to those consequences when there are contractual agreements already in place.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make all the excuses you want.

Donald Sterling is a racist piece of shit.

So is Larry Johnson.

End of discussion.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not ideal, but the reality is that racist comments about a race that was very recently enslaved and mistreated in this country will get more of a backlash than racist comments about a race that wasn't.

And racist comments by a rich businessman who employs many members of the race he disparaged will get more of a backlash than someone else.

This country is 238 years old & slavery was abolished 151 years ago. I think enough time has passed, given no one alive even participated in the process. :laugh3:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they can - under the provisions of the bi-laws if a team owner's actions become so egregerious that they are harmful to the NBA in general, then he or she can be removed with a two-thirds majority vote. What this translates to is they would vote to remove him - then because he is no longer an NBA team, there would not be any games scheduled in the NBA for him. If he wants to earn his 535 million for the team - then he needs to sell now

According to the text of the contract posted elsewhere here, there must be both a contract breach and a significant harm to the NBA in order for a vote to be possible.

Regardless, there will not be the votes to kick him.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the exception of maybe some Amish guy somewhere, the rest of the population of the country is not capable of (and should not be expected to) keeping every private conversation they ever have to the standard of political correctness that would guarantee they are safe from being booted.

The owners won't set that precedent.

I don't disagree with the idea that my private conversations should stay private but one person in that conversation decided to take it public. It is now public. Maybe if you're a racist piece of shit you should just keep it to yourself! I won't disagree though that the other owners may not vote him out. Maybe they want to protect themselves because they do fucked up shit too. Maybe they share the same beliefs as Sterling. Maybe they are on this "private conversation" "thought crimes" nonsense. But it will not be good for the league or any of the other owners pockets if they don't get rid of him. Silver believes he has the votes or I doubt that he would have stuck his neck out so far.