• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the owner though. He's not an employee.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His comments and views are unforgivable. But is the reaction not greatly out of proportion?

Had Sterling been drunk driving and killed a family of 4, would the team come out with their Jerseys covered to show their disgust with the lives he had taken? No. But somehow views and comments that did not cost any lives do.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lives in fantasy land. You beat me to the punch in responding. In the real world, in ANY business, if you screw up like Sterling did, your board or stockholders would have an emergency vote and get you out ASAP. There wouldn't be more than 5 minutes of convo over it either. Once you start costing the company money, you're done for.......that's the price you pay for opening your mouth to the wrong people. That's life.

Exactly. People in this country have the right to say what they want, no matter how stupid and/or hateful it might be. However, that doesn't mean there are no consequences for their stupidity.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lives in fantasy land. You beat me to the punch in responding. In the real world, in ANY business, if you screw up like Sterling did, your board or stockholders would have an emergency vote and get you out ASAP. There wouldn't be more than 5 minutes of convo over it either. Once you start costing the company money, you're done for.......that's the price you pay for opening your mouth to the wrong people. That's life.

Hes not an employee, tho. Youre missing that.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine that he's the owner.

Once again - you can't insult ALL your employees, and over half your customer base, and expect NO consequences......those of you that think this way do not live in reality. There IS a cost that will be paid. You can agree or disagree, but he will pay for what he's done.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the owner though. He's not an employee.

True. However, he owns a team that is part of a larger entity which has it's own rules and regulations that govern how the league is presented/marketed to the fans/consumers.

His comments look bad for the league which can effect it's bottom line. Therefore, the league is within it's rights to take corrective action.

That doesn't mean they can or should take or disband his team, but they can suspend him and/or hit him with a hefty fine.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once again - you can't insult ALL your employees, and over half your customer base, and expect NO consequences......those of you that think this way do not live in reality. There IS a cost that will be paid. You can agree or disagree, but he will pay for what he's done.

There is a cost. He will lose ticket sales, he will lose advertising revenue, he will lose the ability to draw free agents.

What he will not lose is his team, unless he, entirely of his own free will, elects to sell. There are no grounds to take his team away and it could very well cost the league a billion dollars to try.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. However, he owns a team that is part of a larger entity which has it's own rules and regulations that govern how the league is presented/marketed to the fans/consumers.

His comments look bad for the league which can effect it's bottom line. Therefore, the league is within it's rights to take corrective action.

That doesn't mean they can or should take or disband his team, but they can suspend him and/or hit him with a hefty fine.

It does have it's own rules and regulations. Those must be followed for punishments to be incurred. Rules cannot be made up on the spot. They are contractually agreed to and extremely unlikely to govern a private conversation.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a cost. He will lose ticket sales, he will lose advertising revenue, he will lose the ability to draw free agents.

What he will not lose is his team, unless he, entirely of his own free will, elects to sell. There are no grounds to take his team away and it could very well cost the league a billion dollars to try.

I don't expect them to rip away his team. I expect that he'll see the writing on the wall, and try to sell at some point. I also expect that he'll be fined and suspended, and the league is WELL within their rights to do so.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect them to rip away his team. I expect that he'll see the writing on the wall, and try to sell at some point. I also expect that he'll be fined and suspended, and the league is WELL within their rights to do so.

If he's smart, he will issue a statement that he is retiring and leaving the franchise for his kids to run. Apparently, his son-in-law is already Director of Basketball Operations anyway.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont think thats up for debate. Only what exactly the nba can do. A negotiated punishment is my guess. Also, Im willing to bet blacks dont make up anywhere near half his customer base.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a couple of interesting things that could be done for the next game.

One was that he should be required to attend the game and deal with the fan backlash. The other was for any white fans in the lower section of the arena to trade tickets with black fans so that the whole lower section is filled with black people.

If both were combined, it would be awesome for his to be the only white face in that section.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is I don't think Don Sterling necessarily thinks Blacks are subhuman. I think he's just an a-hole psychopath that happens to have a lot of money. I don't think it matters what race someone is, Don Sterling will treat them like sh*t regardless. That's what a-hole psychopaths do.

Funny. I think it's exactly the opposite. I think his words reveal without a doubt that Sterling think that blacks (& Mexicans) are, while not necessarily sub-human, lower forms than whites. And I don't think he necessarily treats people like shit. He treated this woman pretty well and by most accounts doesn't overtly treat anyone like shit. It's his words when he thinks nobody is paying attention that reveal the man.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One was that he should be required to attend the game and deal with the fan backlash. The other was for any white fans in the lower section of the arena to trade tickets with black fans so that the whole lower section is filled with black people.

If both were combined, it would be awesome for his to be the only white face in that section.

If that would happen I would break my vow not to watch the Clippers anymore. :laugh3:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did anyone find it offensive? Where they disagreed with your opinion? I think YOU find it offensive every single person doesnt agree with you :noidea:

Lol. One of the primary reasons I post here is to argue opposing viewpoints. It would be no fun at all if everyone agreed with me.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was like :wtf2: he's still married ?

I didn't know either until I was reading a couple of items from previous cases brought against him. What got me was that the wife stuck with him through all the lurid details of that case. Maybe they have an "arrangement"... who knows.

Kinda made me feel filthy reading about it.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id watch that even if it was only on ppv. :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that would happen I would break my vow not to watch the Clippers anymore. :laugh3:

That's going to be a tough one, because there's not much else to watch, but unless the NBA removes Donald Sterling as an owner, I am thinking about not watching the NBA any more period. Both Donald Sterling and his wife has been slum lords that discriminated against minorities, women with children and etc in their apartment buildings and they have been convicted of discrimination. This is not even the third or fourth time someone has said they suffered racism against them and yet Donald Sterling and his freakin cronies has ignored the problem for the last 20 years that it's been happening. In case any one hasn't noticed - the NBA has improved in spite of the Sterlings - not because of them. For 20 years Sterling sucked the life of the best draft picks while the other teams got the remains.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way: For those that have not heard everything, there is a pretty good article on ESPN and the board of governors do have the power to remove Sterling as an owner or force him to sell. If two-thirds of the owners vote to remote his franchise - he would be stuck without a team: My opinion is that they could simply tell him that he is going to be suspended indefinitely or until he sells the team and has six months to sell the team or lose his franchise. In short they wouldn't schedule any games for the Clippers and Sterling would be totally screwed. If they did that - they hopefully would create exceptions for the players to sign with other teams