• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Today's THE DAY

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fundamental issue here is that eaglesnut actually believes the eagles are close right now. He thinks they can win a championship with this team. So the idea of trading assets for a potential franchise QB annoys him because he thinks we are built to win now.

Never mind that our QBs are Sam Bradford (hurt), Mark Sanchez (buttfumble), Matt Barkley (scrub) and Tim Tebow (can't throw rocks in ocean). He thinks this team is Super Bowl caliber.

Top offense no matter the QB.

It's the defense that holds us back.

It's the secondary that is terrible.

It's the defense that needs to be better.

It's the defense that lost Chip's only playoff game after his offense (and a QB he didn't like) drove the ball down the field for a touchdown to take the lead.

Get a clue.

You can't make this offense good enough to win it all with this defense. Tom Brady could be here and this defense isn't winning it all. Peyton Manning could be here and this defense isn't winning it all. So you think Mariota is a top 5 all time QB? You think he's better than Marino? Get a clue, Iggloo.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think MM Is going to be a good QB but I have been wrong before. He has just as much a chance of being a bust as he does as being a star.

I went all the back to the McNabb era. Here are all the first round QB's and what pick they were since we took McNabb #2

Blake Bortles - 3
Johnny Manziel - 22
EJ Manuel - 16
Andrew Luck - 1
Robert Griffin III - 2
Ryan Tannehill - 8
Brandon Weedon - 22
Cam Newton - 1
Jake Locker - 8
Blaine Gabbert - 10
Christian Ponder - 12
Sam Bradford - 1
Tim Tebow - 25
Matt Stafford - 1
Mark Sanches - 5
Josh Freeman - 17
Matt Ryan - 3
Joe Flacco - 18
Jamarcus Russell - 1
Brady Quinn - 22
Vince Young - 3
Matt Leinart - 10
Jay Cutler - 11
Alex Smith - 1
Aaron Rodgers - 24
Jason Campbell - 25
Eli Manning - 1
Phillip Rivers - 4
Ben Roethlisberger - 11
JP Losman - 22
Carson Palmer - 1
Byron Leftwich 7
Kyle Boller - 19
Rex Grossman - 22
David Carr - 1
Joey Harrington - 3
Patrick Ramsey - 32
Michael Vick - 1
Chad Pennington - 18
Tim Couch - 1
Donovan McNabb - 2
Akili Smith - 3
Daunte Culpepper - 11
Cade McNown - 12

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the price is right getting MM could be a good thing. I will not give up what some of you here are suggesting for a what if.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota to Philly is a dream. A glorious dream. Hope it happens, but not expecting it.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fundamental issue here is that eaglesnut actually believes the eagles are close right now. He thinks they can win a championship with this team. So the idea of trading assets for a potential franchise QB annoys him because he thinks we are built to win now.

Never mind that our QBs are Sam Bradford (hurt), Mark Sanchez (buttfumble), Matt Barkley (scrub) and Tim Tebow (can't throw rocks in ocean). He thinks this team is Super Bowl caliber.

That is the problem! Because currently we are no where near a Superbowl.....He is kidding himself. Give me that star QB that in a 10-12 year span he will win us multiple SuperBowls! thank you!

As for the 3 qb's you name heres the list of Super Bowl winning Qb's Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks - List of Winning Quarterbacks for Each Super Bowl

No only were a majority of them good, but most were or are about to be Hall of Famers!!!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Wings. If Chip really believes in MM, the trade is a no brainer.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the problem! Because currently we are no where near a Superbowl.....He is kidding himself. Give me that star QB that in a 10-12 year span he will win us multiple SuperBowls! thank you!

The QB position is not the reason we are not anywhere near a Superbowl. Last year we should have been one of the teams fighting for home field advantage but the defense was so bad we lost games we should have won.

And again....yes I will beat this dead horse. MM has as much a chance as being bust as he does to be a star. I am not saying that he is not worth being taken number 2. I can even see the argument for him being taken #1. I am all for drafting him at #2 but I think the cost would be too much for us to get that high. To do so we would be one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had shaky QB play much of the year PG, what were you watching?

Yes, the defense needs fixing. But ask yourself, what is easier to find, a defensive back or a franchise QB?

This is a NO BRAINER!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGs: list:
Blake Bortles - 3
Johnny Manziel - 22
EJ Manuel - 16
Andrew Luck - 1
Robert Griffin III - 2
Ryan Tannehill - 8
Brandon Weedon - 22
Cam Newton - 1
Jake Locker - 8
Blaine Gabbert - 10
Christian Ponder - 12
Sam Bradford - 1
Tim Tebow - 25
Matt Stafford - 1
Mark Sanches - 5
Josh Freeman - 17
Matt Ryan - 3
Joe Flacco - 18

Jamarcus Russell - 1
Brady Quinn - 22
Vince Young - 3
Matt Leinart - 10
Jay Cutler - 11
Alex Smith - 1
Aaron Rodgers - 24
Jason Campbell - 25
Eli Manning - 1
Phillip Rivers - 4
Ben Roethlisberger - 11

JP Losman - 22
Carson Palmer - 1
Byron Leftwich 7
Kyle Boller - 19
Rex Grossman - 22
David Carr - 1
Joey Harrington - 3
Patrick Ramsey - 32
Michael Vick - 1
Chad Pennington - 18
Tim Couch - 1
Donovan McNabb - 2
Akili Smith - 3
Daunte Culpepper - 11
Cade McNown - 12

You missed Teddy Bridgewater, but I'll include him.

So only 9 guys were worth it. 9 guys in 16 years. And 5 of them came in 2 drafts. Only 9 out of 45.

Only 4 of them have super bowl rings. 4 guys with rings in 16 drafts.

And none of them cost multiple 1st round picks or anything equivalent.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Bridgewater, how fucking stupid would this organization be for passing on him last year when the opportunity fell into our lap and then trading multiple top assets and multiple top players for a QB the next year? Man, I hadn't even thought about that part of it before. So dumb.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had shaky QB play much of the year PG, what were you watching?

Yes, the defense needs fixing. But ask yourself, what is easier to find, a defensive back or a franchise QB?

This is a NO BRAINER!

That is not why we lost some of those games Igg. Even with Shaky QB play we had a top 5 total offense and the #3 scoring offense in the NFL. Only Denver and Green Bay scored more offensively. And I do agree we need better QB play. With Manning or Rodgers we may have broken even NFL offensive record.

However at 30 points a game offensively there is no way a team should not win 12 games.

What was I watching? One of the worst defense in the NFL and possibly the worst secondary in the history of football.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good data there on the QBs. It provides some perspective. Its rarely a good idea to throw that many assets at one player. In MMs case, he would likely be much more successful with Kelly than anywhere else. I think he stands a good chance of being one of those statistics on any other team. What makes him extra valuable is he already knows how to run a Chip Kelly offense. For his sake, I hope he ends up with the Eagles.

But it would be a poor deal for Kelly. Bradford is capable of being that QB. So are several other guys. Maybe even Sanchez. Kelly has a great system here and once he gets a guy in here to execute it effectively and be here healthy and committed for the long term, this could really take off. Its the marriage of QB, Coach and system that is potentially special. MM anywhere else is average IMO.

I have always had an opinion that Joe Montana and Steve Young were really not that great of QBs. Montana was a third round pick and Young looked fairly ugly in Tampa before he was traded. It was Montana/Young PLUS Walsh PLUS Jerry Rice that made that whole thing work. Without all the pieces together, some of them were just good....not great.

Today, I am thinking that Eli Manning is one of the luckiest men alive. He is a fairly average QB that somehow finds himself winning two Super Bowls through little fault of his own, and now has this dynamic receiver that is going to pad his statistics markedly for the next several years. Guaranteed HOF for a guy that is really just good (and manages to stay upright).

I do think Chip Kelly may be our Bill Walsh. I don't think he needs MM...but MM does need him.

G

greenwing

Enut it has nothing to do with that! It has to do with over 90% of the Superbowls that were ever won were done so with a good QB! Period. It all starts and stops with the play of the QB. Chip feels he can put an offense out there that nobody can stop! Period....He is the coach, if he feels that way i'm with the guy! The man has put a top 5 offense out there for 2 straight years with mediocre to garbage Qb play! He went and rebuilt a majority of our secondary...He built the best special teams unit in the NFL....So if we have the #1 offense, the # 1 Special teams, and the 20th ranked Defense i'm certain we are still making the playoffs....and next offseason he pute the remaining pices of the puzzle in place. IN CHIP I TRUST!

Yeah but you don't mortgage the future for one guy, wasn't that Chips words? If you are going to trade a few picks and Kendricks or Curry so be it. But you absolutely do not trade proven key players like Fletcher Cox. That is completely unacceptable when your defense already needs help.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGs: list:
Blake Bortles - 3
Johnny Manziel - 22
EJ Manuel - 16
Andrew Luck - 1
Robert Griffin III - 2
Ryan Tannehill - 8
Brandon Weedon - 22
Cam Newton - 1
Jake Locker - 8
Blaine Gabbert - 10
Christian Ponder - 12
Sam Bradford - 1
Tim Tebow - 25
Matt Stafford - 1
Mark Sanches - 5
Josh Freeman - 17
Matt Ryan - 3
Joe Flacco - 18

Jamarcus Russell - 1
Brady Quinn - 22
Vince Young - 3
Matt Leinart - 10
Jay Cutler - 11
Alex Smith - 1
Aaron Rodgers - 24
Jason Campbell - 25
Eli Manning - 1
Phillip Rivers - 4
Ben Roethlisberger - 11

JP Losman - 22
Carson Palmer - 1
Byron Leftwich 7
Kyle Boller - 19
Rex Grossman - 22
David Carr - 1
Joey Harrington - 3
Patrick Ramsey - 32
Michael Vick - 1
Chad Pennington - 18
Tim Couch - 1
Donovan McNabb - 2
Akili Smith - 3
Daunte Culpepper - 11
Cade McNown - 12

You missed Teddy Bridgewater, but I'll include him.

So only 9 guys were worth it. 9 guys in 16 years. And 5 of them came in 2 drafts. Only 9 out of 45.

Only 4 of them have super bowl rings. 4 guys with rings in 16 drafts.

And none of them cost multiple 1st round picks or anything equivalent.

That is actually a high number dude! 9 out of 45 that is 1 in every 5! That is a real high number! So there goes your argument! The QB position has always been hit or miss....trivia question, name me an NFL coach that coached a Heisman winning QB and had the opportunity to draft him as an NFL QB a couple years later??? yeah good luck with that one. No NFL head coach has the opportunity to see a college QB Day in and day out every practice and every game. Chip knows every damn thing about this kid, he has seen Foles he has seen Sanchez play, and practice. He won with both of them, for him to want Mariota this bad tells me he KNOWS, doesn't think... HE KNOWS Mariota is light years better than those 2 guys. Right NOW!

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak as a gm, I'd dare the Titans to take Mariota.

I don't believe the browns want him either.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak as a gm, I'd dare the Titans to take Mariota.

I don't believe the browns want him either.
That was something interesting I saw in the past couple days .. MM sliding to 10 and even 12 due to teams having other needs .. now those mocks were NFL Network and ESPN so not on some random blog .. the downside was there were no trades allowed .. but stranger things have happened.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM is not sliding guys. The Jets would take him hands down.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mortensen continues to believe it won't happen. I'd be totally cool with keeping Cox and our picks.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is actually a high number dude! 9 out of 45 that is 1 in every 5! That is a real high number! So there goes your argument!

Come on Wings you are not that big a homer. We are talking 15 years and 9 really good QB's taken in the 1st round. In any case 9 out of 45 is a 20% success rate. That is really low.

The QB position has always been hit or miss....

Yes it is and to be honest the same could be said about any first round pick. Every team take a chance with a first round pick. That is why you have to be careful with what you do. Moving up is always going to cost someone. However you have to be smart with what you give up.

trivia question, name me an NFL coach that coached a Heisman winning QB and had the opportunity to draft him as an NFL QB a couple years later??? yeah good luck with that one. No NFL head coach has the opportunity to see a college QB Day in and day out every practice and every game. Chip knows every damn thing about this kid, he has seen Foles he has seen Sanchez play, and practice. He won with both of them, for him to want Mariota this bad tells me he KNOWS, doesn't think... HE KNOWS Mariota is light years better than those 2 guys. Right NOW!

To answer your question I can't think of one. I have a trivia question for you. Name a team that gave up as much as we will in order to get MM and actually came out on top......good luck with that one.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
name me an NFL coach that coached a Heisman winning QB and had the opportunity to draft him as an NFL QB a couple years later??? yeah good luck with that one. No NFL head coach has the opportunity to see a college QB Day in and day out every practice and every game.

Basically you think Urban Myer should have drafted Tebow with the first pick in the draft if Urban became a pro coach that year. And Tebow even had a title in college.

Urban Meyer and Josh McDaniels had many conversations about it. Josh drafted Tebow. Josh lost his head coaching job.