• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To bring Robert up or not

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What goes into Sox decision on Luis Robert

Excellent article and of course common sense would be to bring the kid up in September to get his major league sea legs under him and therefore go into the 2020 season hitting the ground running. But that ever stupid time rule which by not bringing him onto the roster garners an extra year of guaranteed service with the team will likely mean we won't see the kid until a few weeks into next year's campaign.

Just so we're clear here, I fully understand the reasoning for the Sox or any MLB organization to do this with their star prospects. That extra year of service is huge in this day and age. It's the agreement itself that I can't stand. When the new negotiations commence, I suspect (read hope) this is going to be one of the sticking points that will need to be negotiated.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone could want Robert brought up this year. Is there even a legitimate argument for it?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe LSD DID give a legitimate argument for it.

"PA's would benefit him towards hitting the ground running next season" is indeed "an argument".

However, it's far from legitimate in the face of what it would cost the team. Very little to be gained. What you gain in that scenario pales in comparison to what would be lost. 100-ish PA's in a meaningless season? Or he starts next year 100 PA's behind where he could have been and gains 700 PA's (in his prime) for a potential contending season. Again, I don't see where this should be discussed for very long.

Fans want to see the big name star prospects ASAP. I get it, we all get it. However, we went through this with Eloy last season. Once again, I have to believe we will make the correct and pragmatic decision.

I might point out, Iddy. Last year you were fine with not calling up Eloy due to the fact that he had been in AAA for such a short period of time. Well, Robert has seen 3 level changes this year and has only spent a little over a month in AAA to this point.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone could want Robert brought up this year. Is there even a legitimate argument for it?
Well, let's put aside how we would interpret 'legitimate argument' and instead replace it with 'conditional prediction'. So let's say the contract with the extra year service does not factor in at all. In other words, there's nothing contractually affecting the Sox by bringing up Robert. This is all conjecture of course, so there's really no right or wrong. But that aside, do you believe he would be a September call up or not? I would say yes and without a doubt to boot. The reasons are simple:

A. He's been tearing it up at every level to date, so why not see what he can do under major league conditions.
B. He'd be called up to a team going nowhere this season, so it's not as if he could negatively impact our playoff chances.
C. He'd receive that much valued time to acclimate himself to the majors without the added pressure of postseason implications.
D. Come 2020 Spring training, he'll have that extra bit of a head start and maybe even a legitimate shot at making the opening day roster.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"PA's would benefit him towards hitting the ground running next season" is indeed "an argument".

However, it's far from legitimate in the face of what it would cost the team. Very little to be gained. What you gain in that scenario pales in comparison to what would be lost. 100-ish PA's in a meaningless season? Or he starts next year 100 PA's behind where he could have been and gains 700 PA's (in his prime) for a potential contending season. Again, I don't see where this should be discussed for very long.

Fans want to see the big name star prospects ASAP. I get it, we all get it. However, we went through this with Eloy last season. Once again, I have to believe we will make the correct and pragmatic decision.

I might point out, Iddy. Last year you were fine with not calling up Eloy due to the fact that he had been in AAA for such a short period of time. Well, Robert has seen 3 level changes this year and has only spent a little over a month in AAA to this point.
let me point out something ...
why do you have so much trouble understanding things. where did my statement indicate i want him up this year? NOWHERE! where did i (or LSD) suggest this should be discussed long? NOWHERE! where did i (or LSD) suggest this was a balanced argument? NOWHERE! what i DID imply was that your comment seemed argumentative towards LSD's post for no good reason. the argument given for bringing robert up now IS a legitimate point of view! it just seemed like you wanted to crap on someone else's post for no good reason. you always try so hard to show your knowledge of the way baseball works by stepping on others. why do you do this?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? We brought Moncada up at 22. Let this guy get his 3 billion strikeouts in the last month this year...then he's MVP next year. Tried and true formula.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? We brought Moncada up at 22. Let this guy get his 3 billion strikeouts in the last month this year...then he's MVP next year. Tried and true formula.
do you actually WANT everyone to put you on ignore?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you actually WANT everyone to put you on ignore?

I don't really think about it. That's up to you or whoever. I just post what I post and whatever is...is.

The jist of what I was trying to convey is in the post you quoted. We have no problem bringing up a 22 year old as proven by Moncada (and others...he was just my example), so why would we worry about bringing this guy up? ANYTHING to light a fire in this team's ass is welcome by me. Whoever he replaces is far from irreplaceable. So bring him on.

I never bought into the "this guy's confidence was destroyed because we brought him up too early" argument. Either you're good or you're not. You can improve from where you begin, but if you're a mental midget where you were broken as a player because you had a rough first September in a dead season, you're not taking us anywhere anyway. So best to cut to the chase and let the man get some experience in a season where we've got nothing to lose. We need players that can play in so many spots at this point just take 'em one at a time.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think about it. That's up to you or whoever. I just post what I post and whatever is...is.

The jist of what I was trying to convey is in the post you quoted. We have no problem bringing up a 22 year old as proven by Moncada (and others...he was just my example), so why would we worry about bringing this guy up? ANYTHING to light a fire in this team's ass is welcome by me. Whoever he replaces is far from irreplaceable. So bring him on.

I never bought into the "this guy's confidence was destroyed because we brought him up too early" argument. Either you're good or you're not. You can improve from where you begin, but if you're a mental midget where you were broken as a player because you had a rough first September in a dead season, you're not taking us anywhere anyway. So best to cut to the chase and let the man get some experience in a season where we've got nothing to lose. We need players that can play in so many spots at this point just take 'em one at a time.
BULLshit! what you were trying to convey is that we're all ignorant for not being as hung up on moncada's k's as you are.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BULLshit! what you were trying to convey is that we're all ignorant for not being as hung up on moncada's k's as you are.

*sighs and chuckles*

I love you idseer.

If it makes you feel better, whenever I make a post for the past few days, before I click "Post Reply," I ask myself: "Would idseer say this is sophism"...and if the answer is yes...

I click harder.

Ignore away.