• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timmay loves facebook lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's hypocritical to come onto a message board and post your opinions saying Thomas shouldn't be going onto a message board to post his opinions.

That's what I think is hypocritical.

Yes, but it's also hypocritical to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online. ;)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's hypocritical to come onto a message board and post your opinions saying Thomas shouldn't be going onto a message board to post his opinions.

That's what I think is hypocritical.

I don't think you can compare an anonymous message board to a public media forum like Facebook. Nobody on this board knows who anyone else is. EVERYONE knows who Tim Thomas is, and EVERYONE can see his Facebook page. For all you know I'm actually Steve Yzerman, blowing off steam and trying not to tarnish my classy legacy. No biggie, right? But if Steve Yzerman went on his actual Facebook page and made fun of Mario Lemieux for being fat and made jokes about choking his chicken, there would be some justifiable public backlash.

If you're a public figure, posting something on your Facebook page is pretty much making a public announcement. So if you're going to say, for instance, compare a health care bill to Nazis, you're probably going to have to be ready for a little explaining with the fans and the media.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but it's also hypocritical to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online. ;)

tumblr_lfx9x8dQjl1qgipwuo1_500.gif

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never said they shouldn't voice their opinions, I said they're hypocrites if they say others can't voice their opinions.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can compare an anonymous message board to a public media forum like Facebook. Nobody on this board knows who anyone else is. EVERYONE knows who Tim Thomas is, and EVERYONE can see his Facebook page. For all you know I'm actually Steve Yzerman, blowing off steam and trying not to tarnish my classy legacy. No biggie, right? But if Steve Yzerman went on his actual Facebook page and made fun of Mario Lemieux for being fat and made jokes about choking his chicken, there would be some justifiable public backlash.

If you're a public figure, posting something on your Facebook page is pretty much making a public announcement. So if you're going to say, for instance, compare a health care bill to Nazis, you're probably going to have to be ready for a little explaining with the fans and the media.

It's his own, personal page. I don't care who he is. His constitutional rights allow him to say whatever he wants and give his opinion. If the media wasn't so preoccupied with public figures just to get their news story, it wouldn't be a big deal. When Avery said his opinion about gay marriage, I didn't care one bit, and why should I? I couldn't give a fuck what Tim Thomas, Tom Cruise, Mick Jagger, or any other "public" figure has for an opinion other than agree or disagree with it. I'm certainly not going to join a witch hunt over their views. It's really much a do about nothing except all those reporters wanting to be THE guy or gal to get the big scoop, and a bunch of sheep just waiting for that scoop.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said they shouldn't voice their opinions, I said they're hypocrites if they say others can't voice their opinions.

Oh, so you don't think it's also hypocritical to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online. You just think to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online is hypocritical.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so you don't think it's also hypocritical to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online. You just think to go onto a message board and tell people that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion online about the opinions that someone has voiced online is hypocritical.

This is getting close to perturbation theory levels of confusing.

Every cycle a higher order of perturbation... :burt: :nerd:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's his own, personal page. I don't care who he is. His constitutional rights allow him to say whatever he wants and give his opinion. If the media wasn't so preoccupied with public figures just to get their news story, it wouldn't be a big deal. When Avery said his opinion about gay marriage, I didn't care one bit, and why should I?

Joking aside.

Because whether you like it or not, they are public figures, they have fans and people paying attention to them, and their "microphone" is a responsibility. I don't think anyone here is saying Tim Thomas has no right to say what he does - OF COURSE he has that right. Nobody here is denying him that right. But nobody is inviting me to the White House. And if they are, nobody gives a fuck if I don't show.

You can play the "it shouldn't matter who he is" card. Tell the 1890s we all say hi. That's not the world we live in. Tim Thomas gets paid a fuckload of money and gets the status of being a celebrity. It has it's priveleges... and it has it's responsibilities. If he actually "doesn't want to talk about it," don't have a Facebook page or set it to private. If he wants to have one, make public comments, snub the Prez, etc. - HE'S A PUBLIC FIGURE, it's GOING to be talked about, criticized, and commented on. He can avoid these trappings if he wants. He's not choosing to.

The trouble is the last few weeks Tim Thomas has wanted the benefits of the big microphone, but not the responsibilities. Sorry, that's not how the game is played. So criticizing him is NOT hypocritical. He's welcome to any opinion he pleases... and as a public figure, he can be lambasted, praised, hated, or loved for them. That's the gig. Don't like the game, don't play. But don't roll the dice and then walk away when you don't like the outcome.

Terrible as it is to say, Avery's opinion is more important b/c there are very few openly gay athletes in any of our major sports. Him showing some acceptance of that is more important than just some fan stating it because he is IN the game itself. You don't have to care, but Avery's opinion matters more than yours, at least in the world of pro hockey. That's why reporters cover locker rooms after games and not fans exiting the arena.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey! Take your perturbation over to the hot chicks forum. It doesn't belong here. ;)

I think it's pretty hypocritical to tell someone to take their pertubation to another forum while posting on a message board talking about people's perturbation preferences.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

he is absolutely free to post (or say, or shout from the rooftops) his opinions. there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
the chickenshit part is that he refuses to discuss it further, when HE's the one that brought it up the first place.

as I mentioned earlier, he's either too dumb to follow up with a reasoned discussion, or he's just trolling.
again.... HE's the one that brought it up.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty hypocritical to tell someone to take their pertubation to another forum while posting on a message board talking about people's perturbation preferences.

That's not fair, I didn't even mention my love of sephlopods and.... wait, damn it!

Why do I get the feeling that phrase with one word changed will be seen frequently on SportsHoopla the next couple weeks.

as I mentioned earlier, he's either too dumb to follow up with a reasoned discussion, or he's just trolling.
again.... HE's the one that brought it up.

Lol. REPORTED!

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not fair, I didn't even mention my love of sephlopods and.... wait, damn it!

Why do I get the feeling that phrase with one word changed will be seen frequently on SportsHoopla the next couple weeks.

Lol. REPORTED!

Looks like you beat me to it. :rolleyes: