• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to start talking draft

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our two top priorities should be picking up a CB and a pass rusher. We likely will only be able to afford one of those through FA. The corner market looks a lot better and younger than DEs. Right tackle free agents look promising - fairly young, experienced and cheap - so now is the time to move on from Free. Pass rusher and the other positions should be draftees.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be hard for him to make it to 28
If he does he has to be on the short list as an option. He looks to be a matchup problem for defenses. His height may limit his pass blocking effectiveness though.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suspicious:

For real? A guy takes people who are no-namers and castaways and makes them a Top 15 defense? I hang on to that guy if I'm Jerry/Stephen.
I was just being sarcastic about needing a new DC. The only thing we need on defense are a few guys that can put pressure on opposing QB's.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witten's replacement must be found, if a TE is BPA he should be taken regardless of the round.
I'm just weary of the 2nd and 3rd round TE's. We keep trying and just can't find one.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just weary of the 2nd and 3rd round TE's. We keep trying and just can't find one.

I wouldn't say Dallas missed with Bennett. The Cowboys just didn't have a full time role for him. Bennett was pretty decent when he left Dallas, and has become a top 5 (top3?) TE since he left.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Dallas missed with Bennett. The Cowboys just didn't have a full time role for him. Bennett was pretty decent when he left Dallas, and has become a top 5 (top3?) TE since he left.

New England could make Jerry Jones look like a top 5 TE.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, he's part of the system now. Look at Blount, same deal. NE has a great system that makes spares look elite.

Bennett's issue is still the same, he has all the talent in the world and a $.02 brain running the show. If he could just learn to STFU and do what he is told, he would be the best TE in the NFL. I believe I said a long time ago, when MartyB was here that if he got into a locker room like NE he would be great. He needs someone with skins on the wall that can tell him "shut up, we don't do it that way" and he has to listen. Now he has that. Too bad it's in his twilight years.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry is going to get anxious and try to trade up a bit for the top de left is most likely IMO.

I still wouldn't be angry with lb in the first 3, if BPA, but that's just me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry is going to get anxious and try to trade up a bit for the top de left is most likely IMO.

I still wouldn't be angry with lb in the first 3, if BPA, but that's just me.

Hopefully he has seen that his guys can find talent where they are, no need to sacrifice other players for a single one.

Plus, I don't see us getting into the top 8, and after the top 8players is when you start seeing teams draft more for need instead of BPA. So we have a better chance of our guy being there. With that said, I could certainly see him trying to move up in the 2nd round. Having an entire night to think about someone still on the board drives Jerry crazy.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first round I am hoping for a Pass rusher. Would be happy with a CB, too. Wouldn't be upset with an OT if the right one fell.

One guy who really intrigues me, but will probably be out of reach for Dallas is Derek Barnett from Tennessee. Doubt he slides to the bottom of the 1st, but if he fell to 20-25 I would be all for packaging a 3rd and move up for him.

Other guys I would be happy with in the 1st..

Adoree Jackson CB USC
Jalen Tabor CB FLA
Malik McDowell DT/DE MichSU
Charles Harris DE MISSOURI
Taco Charlton DE UM
Solomon Thomas DE STAN
Jabril Peppers S UM
Garett Bolles OT UTAH
OJ Howard TE BAMA

Anyone of those would be a good start to the draft IMO.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see another 1st round olineman
we're doing all we can to keep the 3 we already have. Just seems only so much money should be allotted for any position group

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see another 1st round olineman
we're doing all we can to keep the 3 we already have. Just seems only so much money should be allotted for any position group

OT would not be my first choice. But if a good one falls and there aren't any pass rushers or defensive backs worth taking, I wouldn't be mad at it. I think the team can really upgrade Doug Free at this point. He's a drive a killer.

The financials are a problem for 4 years from now - long time. By then Dallas could start to look at moving on from guys like Smith and Frederick. And we already have $7.5mil built into the current cap structure for a RT, having a rookie/young player at RT would reduce the cost of the OL in the short term.

At the end of the day, I think Dallas needs to draft the best pass rusher they can find in round 1. If there isn't one worth the pick, then move on to defensive back. Then BPA if no CB.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he has seen that his guys can find talent where they are, no need to sacrifice other players for a single one.

Plus, I don't see us getting into the top 8, and after the top 8players is when you start seeing teams draft more for need instead of BPA. So we have a better chance of our guy being there. With that said, I could certainly see him trying to move up in the 2nd round. Having an entire night to think about someone still on the board drives Jerry crazy.
Not saying into the top 10 or even top 15, but early 20s if a top de is still left.