• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to start talking draft

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...that would sure cut down on ref work load too.

I came into this season with a higher opinion of Doug Free than most. He let me down this year, I don't think he was very good at all this season. Still at least an average player, but I think it is time to move on, and with our current cap situation, 2017 would not be a bad year to do it - assuming Dallas can draft a suitable replacement.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Harris DE from missouri. Tj Watt Wisconsin is also an interestING player.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came into this season with a higher opinion of Doug Free than most. He let me down this year, I don't think he was very good at all this season. Still at least an average player, but I think it is time to move on, and with our current cap situation, 2017 would not be a bad year to do it - assuming Dallas can draft a suitable replacement.
He's under contract for one more year, I'd be surprised if he weren't back

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're probably right. Just saying that if a suitable replacement OT lands in the Cowboys lap during the draft that it might be time to part ways. It would alleviate some cap issues, and with the right player could be an upgrade. Doug Free killed a lot of dives this year - seemed like he was good for at least two drive killing penalties a game.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right. Just saying that if a suitable replacement OT lands in the Cowboys lap during the draft that it might be time to part ways. It would alleviate some cap issues, and with the right player could be an upgrade. Doug Free killed a lot of dives this year - seemed like he was good for at least two drive killing penalties a game.
I think if a great tackle fell to them that might take him, but I just don't see it. We have a lot of FA's that are gonna be tough calls, TWill, Wilcox, Mo, Church, Leary, etc., that if we don't resign will become draft needs, and we already have needs throughout the defense and TE. Besides, it's Free's contract year, we'll get his best effort

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a great tackle fell to them that might take him, but I just don't see it. We have a lot of FA's that are gonna be tough calls, TWill, Wilcox, Mo, Church, Leary, etc., that if we don't resign will become draft needs, and we already have needs throughout the defense and TE. Besides, it's Free's contract year, we'll get his best effort
What is his best effort at this point? Only one drive killing penalty and only one whiff per game? Pass. We can do better then the human turnstile free at this point.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is his best effort at this point? Only one drive killing penalty and only one whiff per game? Pass. We can do better then the human turnstile free at this point.
They've drafted a couple of tackles the last few years, maybe someone will step up. Last year, he was the best they had. How high of a draft pick would you be willing to spend on a rookie you expect to start? 1st or 2nd? Chaz Green was a 3rd and he wasn't ready to start as a rookie

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyones gonna be drafting OL in the 1st. This is the year to look for DL help.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a TE and OT will be drafted but not as 2017 starters. I think the O will pretty much be the same as this season - Leary who will garner more than Dallas can pay.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free is a tough one. He's just not a very good player, but he isn't horrible either. He won't be cut unless someone else is ready to start or they do something unexpected like try to keep Leary and kick Collins out to Tackle. Green surprised me. He was horrid in the preseason but actually played OK in the games he started for Smith. If he takes a step forward and beats Free out Free will need to take a pay cut or he'll be cut. I think if free is cut it will be in late August after we are sure he won't be starting. I think it's probably better than 50/50 he is on the team but the best thing for the team is someone beats him out.:2cents:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense just needs a new DC.

:suspicious:

For real? A guy takes people who are no-namers and castaways and makes them a Top 15 defense? I hang on to that guy if I'm Jerry/Stephen.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a TE crush on that Bama kid. I wouldn't mind taking him if he's best available.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the roster I think the Cowboys needs are pretty clear. The following positions have to be addressed this off-season...

DE
CB
SS
WR

And we also have a couple of positions that don't necessarily require attention, but would be nice to get a future starter for...

TE
OT

Dallas is pretty well set at every other position. I am expecting a defense heavy draft, but Dallas can afford to go BPA at this point, IMO.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see where we stand with FA before we get into draft talk.