• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Anderson's American League Batting Title Chase

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night's choke, all that remains left for the most part are individual offensive goals for the remaining 13 games. I mean, I suppose we can root for the Sox to win at least 5 of those remaining games to hit 70, but that's one pathetic goal.

Individually, we have a few mini goals for our boys to accomplish:

*TA trying to win the batting crown. He's currently ahead of the Yanks DJ LeMahieu by just 4 points.
*Abreu has a 9 ribbie cushion over KC's Jorge Soler (and ex-Cub to boot!!) to win that crown.
*Moncada has a pretty good shot at ending the season in the top 10 BA - he's currently 5th. If he can jack two more HRs and drive in 8 more runs, he'll end the season with 25/80, which were my predicted numbers for him prior this season. Not bad for largely hitting out of the 2 spot most of the year, as well as having missed a bunch of games due to injuries.
*Eloy needs 3 more HRs to reach the 30 mark. Impressive, as he's missed even more games than Yoan.

One thing I'd like to see is letting Danny Mendick finish the season by starting most of the remaining games at 2b. I liked the way he played in Spring Training and was confident he'd be a September call up. He's played quite decently since his arrival. We already know what current starter Yolmer Sanchez brings to the table, which is average to sub average play. So why not let Mendick have a crack at showing he can hold down the fort until Nick Madrigal gets the eventual promotion to the Bigs.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night's choke, all that remains left for the most part are individual offensive goals for the remaining 13 games. I mean, I suppose we can root for the Sox to win at least 5 of those remaining games to hit 70, but that's one pathetic goal.

Individually, we have a few mini goals for our boys to accomplish:

*TA trying to win the batting crown. He's currently ahead of the Yanks DJ LeMahieu by just 4 points.
*Abreu has a 9 ribbie cushion over KC's Jorge Soler (and ex-Cub to boot!!) to win that crown.
*Moncada has a pretty good shot at ending the season in the top 10 BA - he's currently 5th. If he can jack two more HRs and drive in 8 more runs, he'll end the season with 25/80, which were my predicted numbers for him prior this season. Not bad for largely hitting out of the 2 spot most of the year, as well as having missed a bunch of games due to injuries.
*Eloy needs 3 more HRs to reach the 30 mark. Impressive, as he's missed even more games than Yoan.

One thing I'd like to see is letting Danny Mendick finish the season by starting most of the remaining games at 2b. I liked the way he played in Spring Training and was confident he'd be a September call up. He's played quite decently since his arrival. We already know what current starter Yolmer Sanchez brings to the table, which is average to sub average play. So why not let Mendick have a crack at showing he can hold down the fort until Nick Madrigal gets the eventual promotion to the Bigs.

Anything less than 70 wins is a colossal failure as far as I'm concerned. Is, was and always will be. Rebuild or not.

But let's be honest now, the difference between 68 and 70 doesn't really matter in the end all, but whatever the final tally in the win column, what really happened this season is that what many expected this season to be is now what next season is supposed to be....So are we getting ready for the "we're a sh*t team" groundhog day experience year after year after year with that one little blip crumb playoff run every now and again with lightning in a bottle? Or are we actually building some kind of foundation?

Most of you know I lean the former...but I guess we'll find out soon enough. End of story is this year was a wash. 2020 is now 2019 redux.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have added one more mini-goal, and that's for Garcia to score 100 runs. This will be tough as he's currently at 89, and I'm not sure of his health status. Haven't caught any of the games, but his appearances of late have been sporadic, so I'm wondering if he's hurt.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything less than 70 wins is a colossal failure as far as I'm concerned. Is, was and always will be. Rebuild or not.

But let's be honest now, the difference between 68 and 70 doesn't really matter in the end all, but whatever the final tally in the win column, what really happened this season is that what many expected this season to be is now what next season is supposed to be....So are we getting ready for the "we're a sh*t team" groundhog day experience year after year after year with that one little blip crumb playoff run every now and again with lightning in a bottle? Or are we actually building some kind of foundation?

Most of you know I lean the former...but I guess we'll find out soon enough. End of story is this year was a wash. 2020 is now 2019 redux.
I guess we're the same in our expectations, or at least the timelines of our expectations. I wasn't on this board when the trades for the future started taking place, but I did have this season as the year the Sox would be in the thick of the postseason hunt all the way - maybe not get in, but at least give it a solid effort. Then next year we would be a for-sure playoff team. I'm now ready to push that back by at least one more year. Too bad.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we're the same in our expectations, or at least the timelines of our expectations. I wasn't on this board when the trades for the future started taking place, but I did have this season as the year the Sox would be in the thick of the postseason hunt all the way - maybe not get in, but at least give it a solid effort. Then next year we would be a for-sure playoff team. I'm now ready to push that back by at least one more year. Too bad.

What hurt the most is that it was obvious from about game 25 or so that we were still bad...very bad. So that put a huge damper and created the Frankenstein monster poster that I've been this season right from the get-go. Hopefully I can get some sort of hope from this team next year in the first month or two.

Just give us the tip Good Guys...FFS, we've been waiting forever.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What hurt the most is that it was obvious from about game 25 or so that we were still bad...very bad. So that put a huge damper and created the Frankenstein monster poster that I've been this season right from the get-go. Hopefully I can get some sort of hope from this team next year in the first month or two.

Just give us the tip Good Guys...FFS, we've been waiting forever.
I think what I'll take for my ray of hope is that much of what little bit of positivity we have for this year has been coming from our younger guys, the core of this team for the next X number of years. Still too many holes to fill in all departments, but I like what we've been getting from some of these youngins. But we have to build on this and Hahn & Co must be aggressive in the offseason. There's no getting around that.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and once again anderson is not in the lineup. is he injured as far as anyone knows, or does he have a clause in his contract giving him a bonus if he wins the title?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.336 now. Looking like this is going to happen with 7 games remaining against the Tigers and their horrendous pitching.

Last night's game was depressing as hell though. We had it won twice and blew it. Ouch. FFS we strike out a lot and never walk....Sigh.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.336 now. Looking like this is going to happen with 7 games remaining against the Tigers and their horrendous pitching.

Last night's game was depressing as hell though. We had it won twice and blew it. Ouch. FFS we strike out a lot and never walk....Sigh.
The game wasn't televised out here in Vegas, but I was monitoring the score. Blowing late inning leads not once, but twice!! I thought for sure when we grabbed that 2 run lead in the 12th, the game was ours. But leave it to our beloved White Sox to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the two triple crown battles remaining, TA's 7 point lead over 2nd place TJ Lemahieu is looking better, but far from insurmountable. OTOH, I'd say Abreu's grasp on the RBI crown is fast approaching insurmountable status. He has a 10 ribbie lead over 2nd place Jorge Soler, the ex-Cub (I just love including that).

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and once again anderson is not in the lineup. is he injured as far as anyone knows, or does he have a clause in his contract giving him a bonus if he wins the title?

By the end of tonight he will have (at the very least) 485 PA's. That would mean he needs to see the plate 17 times in our final 10 games. He would have to sit out something like 6 of those games (or get hurt) for this to become a legit concern. However, I do understand the anxiety. I mean, there's a reason I'm counting these PA's myself.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of suddenly getting injured, there's no way that TA (or Moncada for that matter) will fall short of the requisite PAs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMaheiu 1 for 3 today with a walk (up to .329)

Timmy 1 for 4 so far (down to .335)

He's keeping his distance somewhat, but they're still just potentially a 4 for 8 stretch by LaMahieu and an 0 for 8 stretch by TA from being neck-and-neck.

This could easily come down to the final day of the season.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if tim has enough ab's so far ... why does espn show michael brantley as leading the al in hitting?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest numbers update:

*Timmay is currently 7 points ahead of LeMahieu for the batting crown, and is also leading all of MLB by 6 points
*Abreu holds a 9 RBI lead over Rafael Devers and is actually 1 ribbie ahead of Freddie Freeman for the MLB lead
*Garcia is still fighting an uphill battle to reach the 100 runs scored mark, he's currently at 92
*Moncada is now tied for 3rd in AL batting, so he should be a lock to finish in the top 10 this year
*Jimenez is just a homer shy of the 30 mark

Like I said previously, we have nothing to root for team-wise (unless the Cubs being 3 games out of the last WC spot intrigues you), so we might as well focus on some individual performances to conclude our season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Timmay's lead shrunk to 5 points ahead of LeMahieu
*Abreu still holds a 9 RBI lead over Rafael Devers and is now tied with Freddie Freeman for the MLB lead
*Garcia remains stuck at 92 runs scored
*Moncada is alone in 3rd place in AL batting, but just by a point
*Jimenez reached the 30 HR mark

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmay goes 4-5 tonite and all but locks up the 2019 AL and MLB batting title. He ends the night with a .339 BA, an 11 pt lead over LeMahieu and 10 pt lead over Yelich in the NL.

Also Abreu holds on with a 7 RBI over Devers for the AL crown, but 2 behind Rendon for the MLB title. Good grief is Rendon ever going to land a major fucking contract this offseason.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmay goes 4-5 tonite and all but locks up the 2019 AL and MLB batting title. He ends the night with a .339 BA, an 11 pt lead over LeMahieu and 10 pt lead over Yelich in the NL.

Also Abreu holds on with a 7 RBI over Devers for the AL crown, but 2 behind Rendon for the MLB title. Good grief is Rendon ever going to land a major fucking contract this offseason.

Abreu's return to Sox seems a foregone conclusion

Abreu has certainly put in his time as the White Sox have sought to create a sustainable contender on the South Side. In his six years with the team, he’s never reached the postseason, never finished a season with a winning record.

But that hasn’t done one thing to sour his opinion of the organization he’s routinely thanked as he’s climbed the franchise leaderboards and joined elite South Side company throughout the 2019 season. Abreu is as aware as anyone of the team’s bright future, and he’s cited it as his reasoning for wanting to stick around. At the All-Star Game in Cleveland, he pledged that if the White Sox didn’t re-sign him, he’d sign himself and play for them anyway. More newsworthy, perhaps, was his revelation to the Sun-Times that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf promised Abreu he’d never play in another uniform.

3bn0tt.jpg

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, that last sentence is why I have always appreciated Reinsdorf to some degree...It's his greatest strength and his greatest flaw....There can be 500 Manny Machados and we'll miss on all of them...but one Ozzie/Frank/Harold/Abreu...They're White Sox for life. Even if they did change teams in their career's twilight, they still stick with our organization in some capacity. That's something that has always been consistent, even when we're sucking right now.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope and believe you're right on this Jiddy. But what kinda gnaws at me a bit is if it's assumed that Jose will be Sox for life (or at least signs an extension), why didn't they take care of this during the season when he was more than willing to sign then? There would have been ZERO competition for his services with a mid-season extension. Now he can test the market and who knows if there's some team out there that's willing to outbid for his services. I'm honestly not sure what the Sox gained by waiting until the offseason to negotiate a new contract.