• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Anderson's American League Batting Title Chase

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I held off for a while making this thread. I didn't want to jinx it... and honestly? I thought he'd eventually slow down and be sitting at around .310-.315 or so by now. However, with three weeks left in the season? This is becoming a very real event.

Current Standings (9/9)

1. Tim Anderson, Chicago White Sox .334
2. DJ LaMahieu, New York Yankees .328
3. Michael Brantley, Houston Astros .321
4. Hanser Alberto, Baltimore Orioles .321
5. Rafael Devers, Boston Red Sox .313

First (thanks to his month long IL stint) Anderson needs to notch 56 more PA's to reach the required 502 PA's necessary to qualify for a batting title. With 19 games left in the season (barring injury) that shouldn't be an issue. 19 x 4 = 76

Second, he needs to stay the pace and stave off a potential run from LaMahieu.

He still has a ways to go, but Lamahieu's slight hiccup in an otherwise tremendous season has actually given Tim a small cushion. Emphasis on "small".

This is basically the most exciting thing happening for any White Sox die-hard still tuned into what's left of 2019. I'll be sure to keep up with the standings day-to-day the best that I can.

Anderson would be the first White Sox player to take home the AL crown since Frank Thomas did so in 1997. Thomas hit .347 and bested runner-up Edgar Martinez (.330) by 17 points.

Of course, he cannot yet reach the level of legendary White Sox shortstop Luke Appling. Who won the title twice. Both in 1936 and 1943 while hitting .388 and .328 respectively.

Those are the only two White Sox players to win an AL Batting Title in the franchises 119 year history... for now ;)

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I held off for a while making this thread. I didn't want to jinx it... and honestly? I thought he'd eventually slow down and be sitting at around .310-.315 or so by now. However, with three weeks left in the season? This is becoming a very real event.

Current Standings (9/9)

First (thanks to his month long IL stint) Anderson needs to notch 56 more PA's to reach the required 502 PA's necessary to qualify for a batting title. With 19 games left in the season (barring injury) that shouldn't be an issue. 19 x 4 = 76

He still has a ways to go, but Lamahieu's slight hiccup in an otherwise tremendous season has actually given Tim a small cushion. Emphasis on "small".

This is basically the most exciting thing happening for any White Sox die-hard still tuned into what's left of 2019. I'll be sure to keep up with the standings day-to-day the best that I can.

Anderson would be the first White Sox player to take home the AL crown since Frank Thomas did so in 1997. Thomas hit .347 and bested runner-up Edgar Martinez (.330) by 17 points.

Of course, he cannot yet reach the level of legendary White Sox shortstop Luke Appling. Who won the title twice. Both in 1936 and 1943 while hitting .388 and .328 respectively.

Those are the only two White Sox players to win an AL Batting Title in the franchises 119 year history... for now ;)
he NEEDS the ab's now. so why was he held out vs the angels last game?

btw .... anyone remember this? a breakout year for whom? :D

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Current Standings (9/9)

I know idseer is ignoring me. But I couldn't help but think "Welp, guess it's time to trade Anderson too" after I read this.

It would be pretty cool if dude was the batting champ...and if we could at least get to 70+ wins. Little things are better than nothing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Abreu is having one of his best years since he became a major leaguer. He already has a career high in RBIs with 17 games left to play. He's one HR from tying his 2nd most dingers and 4 shy of tying his previous high. His WAR is on the low side, altho I haven't a friggin clue how that number is calculated. All I know is he's had a stud year and I'm sure hoping he gets resigned.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Abreu is having one of his best years since he became a major leaguer. He already has a career high in RBIs with 17 games left to play. He's one HR from tying his 2nd most dingers and 4 shy of tying his previous high. His WAR is on the low side, altho I haven't a friggin clue how that number is calculated. All I know is he's had a stud year and I'm sure hoping he gets resigned.

hard to believe sox players lead the league in two of the big three categories for hitters, avg and rbi's. shades of the big hurt era!

abreu's average is also kinda low but i agree ... what is bringing his war number down so much? lower walk total + avg (tho it's not bad) + k's/ab up a little + ?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has claimed he'll sign with us on the cheap as he wants to stay with the Sox. So that's nice.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cheap $15MM per year.

Well, yeah...It's a "relative" cheap. : D But the point is he seems to be down with a hometown discount.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah...It's a "relative" cheap. : D But the point is he seems to be down with a hometown discount.
Definitely was nice to hear that he wants to be here for the transition to “good” baseball.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to believe sox players lead the league in two of the big three categories for hitters, avg and rbi's. shades of the big hurt era!

abreu's average is also kinda low but i agree ... what is bringing his war number down so much? lower walk total + avg (tho it's not bad) + k's/ab up a little + ?

Yeah, his OBP is pretty down (from every season besides last year - his worst across the board). His plate discipline has slowly deteriorated during his career it seems. Not that it was ever fantastic, but it's worse. This year he will finish with a 100+ more PA's than 2018. He will K more (predictably) but is pacing to walk less.

Stone and Bennetti keep bringing up how he "expands the zone with RISP to drive in runs". A couple possibilities... #1 - He's doing this intentionally and it's costing him walks (creating more K's)... #2 - His plate discipline has just slowly gone by the wayside and this is not necessarily planned.

The biggest reason his WAR dips, though. Is because power numbers are up across the league. HR's especially over the past 3 seasons (call it juiced balls... whatever you want). His numbers are the same. They're numbers that would have been spectacular 5-6 years ago. But now? They're just "good".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Thursday...

Anderson: .333

LaMahieu: .326
Brantley .323
Alberto .320
Devers: .314

LaMahieu played a double-header and was 0-for-6 in the first game and dropped to .323. I was like "Well, hot damn! Maybe Timmy does have this!". Then he went 3-for-5 in the second game to climb back up 3 points. lol. Some nice damage control on his part.

Anderson went 2 for 5. He's had some very lucky hits this past series. Not exactly crushing the ball. I hope he's not pressing and trying to punch the ball for singles. Not exactly his style. I'm sure he's pressing at least a little bit, though. How couldn't you be?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Thursday...

Anderson: .333

LaMahieu: .326
Brantley .323
Alberto .320
Devers: .314

LaMahieu played a double-header and was 0-for-6 in the first game and dropped to .323. I was like "Well, hot damn! Maybe Timmy does have this!". Then he went 3-for-5 in the second game to climb back up 3 points. lol. Some nice damage control on his part.

Anderson went 2 for 5. He's had some very lucky hits this past series. Not exactly crushing the ball. I hope he's not pressing and trying to punch the ball for singles. Not exactly his style. I'm sure he's pressing at least a little bit, though. How couldn't you be?
He would have more at bats by now if certain pitchers didnt feel the need to plunk him for having fun.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have more at bats by now if certain pitchers didnt feel the need to plunk him for having fun.

It's plate appearances he needs. Not at-bats.

You get a PA just for getting into the box.

But I get your point... lol

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough but yes I was trying to make a different point entirely and you got it!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough but yes I was trying to make a different point entirely and you got it!

Oooooh, I just rethought about what you had said. You mean that he would have had more of an opportunity to get hits. lol

Yeah, I've just been all caught up about him getting to that 502 PA's mark so he qualifies for the batting title.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9/13 is in the books! Timmy goes 2 for 5 and gains more ground on LaMahieu!

Tim Anderson (2 for 5) .334

DJ LaMahieu (2 for 6) .325
Micheal Brantley (Rest) .323
Hanser Alberto (Rest) .320
Rafael Devers (BOS off day) .314

Anderson's lead is up to 9 points and now only needs 37 more PA's to qualify.

That being said... Anthony Rendon went 2 for 3 today with two walks. Upping his average by 2 points to .335. So, Tim trails the MLB crown by one point.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9/13 is in the books! Timmy goes 2 for 5 and gains more ground on LaMahieu!

Tim Anderson (2 for 5) .334

DJ LaMahieu (2 for 6) .325
Micheal Brantley (Rest) .323
Hanser Alberto (Rest) .320
Rafael Devers (BOS off day) .314

Anderson's lead is up to 9 points and now only needs 37 more PA's to qualify.

That being said... Anthony Rendon went 2 for 3 today with two walks. Upping his average two points to .335. So, Tim trails the MLB lead by one point.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooooh, I just rethought about what you had said. You mean that he would have had more of an opportunity to get hits. lol

Yeah, I've just been all caught up about him getting to that 502 PA's mark so he qualifies for the batting title.
Did you know that a player can still win a batting title with fewer than 502 PA's? I didn't know this until I read up on the qualifications. I don't know how much lower that number can be because how they handle that is by adding hitless ABs to the total PA count. For example, if you only have 490 PA's they will add 12 to make up the total, but it will of course be 12 hitless ABs, which will obviously bring the player's BA down and perhaps knock him out of the top spot. But if the player has a wide enough lead, adding those hitless ABs might not cost him the title. This happened to Tony Gwynn in '96. He won the batting crown, even tho his PA count was less than 502.