• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers To Hire Brad Ausmus As Manager

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams have Valentine and Wedge managed? experience is nice but getting a recycled guy that has made numerous stops seems like repeating the same mistake made by teams that let the veteran managers go.

The best experienced manager out their was probably Dusty Baker and that just didn't seem like a great hire. More teams are going with younger managers with some experience dealing with todays players. The fact Ausmus learned Spanish speaks volumes to me on how he wants to relate to his guys. IMO guys like Miggy and Iggy have to respect a guy that learned their language to help relate. Although most people will say Cubans don't speak Spanish.

If Ausmus can keep the dugout from becoming fractured with cliques he will be ok.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Ausmus selected Lamont as his bench coach, for the experience I guess. Ausmus played with Inge didn't he??????? Batting or 3rd base coach? :)

Just like Leyland did, Ausmus has a team with a lot of veteran players that fans expect to produce. A tough assignment for any new manager - Win now! No rebuilding, no 5 year plan. If this team fails (and I don't mean just no WS), it will come down hard on him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams have Valentine and Wedge managed? experience is nice but getting a recycled guy that has made numerous stops seems like repeating the same mistake made by teams that let the veteran managers go.

The best experienced manager out their was probably Dusty Baker and that just didn't seem like a great hire. More teams are going with younger managers with some experience dealing with todays players. The fact Ausmus learned Spanish speaks volumes to me on how he wants to relate to his guys. IMO guys like Miggy and Iggy have to respect a guy that learned their language to help relate. Although most people will say Cubans don't speak Spanish.

If Ausmus can keep the dugout from becoming fractured with cliques he will be ok.

It's hard for me to describe how happy I am that the Tigers didn't follow Leyland up with Dusty Baker. After watching years of Granderson at leadoff, for no reason what so ever,(AJax never got close to that level before he got bumped this fall) I had no interest in seeing a guy come in who puts lineups together worse than Ol Smokey did. I love that Ausmus is getting his first shot with the Tigers. Good chance his energy will reflect in the way the team performs. Im excited to see things done that make baseball sense. Less give away getaway days. No faith in Phil Coke to get a lefty out. And I've got hope that he'll be in charge rather than his players. (For some reason inferior players got to start, for years)Since the late spring of last year Id wanted nothing more than Leyland to be gone. (He knew he was running an inferior lineup out there, but he did it anyway, cuz he's a stubborn old cuss). Brookens would have been fine with me. (He and Ausmus were my personal top two choices, with Ausmus being the top one)But it's sitting in now that Detroit has new blood and I like that. (Im looking forward to BA and JV getting heated when it's time to Han over the ball)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Israel. I'd be very pleased if this report ends up being correct.

Yeah Smitty, it rocks.

Back in the winter of 1969, the Cincinnati Reds hired the youngest manager in MLB.

His name?

Sparky Anderson.

It was "cutting edge"...

Strange how he morphed over the years to "Old Fuddy Duddy"...out of touch with modern baseball.

Just because the Detroit front office left "player development" 30 years behind hiring him.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard for me to describe how happy I am that the Tigers didn't follow Leyland up with Dusty Baker. After watching years of Granderson at leadoff, for no reason what so ever,(AJax never got close to that level before he got bumped this fall) I had no interest in seeing a guy come in who puts lineups together worse than Ol Smokey did. I love that Ausmus is getting his first shot with the Tigers. Good chance his energy will reflect in the way the team performs. Im excited to see things done that make baseball sense. Less give away getaway days. No faith in Phil Coke to get a lefty out. And I've got hope that he'll be in charge rather than his players. (For some reason inferior players got to start, for years)Since the late spring of last year Id wanted nothing more than Leyland to be gone. (He knew he was running an inferior lineup out there, but he did it anyway, cuz he's a stubborn old cuss). Brookens would have been fine with me. (He and Ausmus were my personal top two choices, with Ausmus being the top one)But it's sitting in now that Detroit has new blood and I like that. (Im looking forward to BA and JV getting heated when it's time to Han over the ball)

Smitty, I like your take except I don't think that JL let the inmates run the asylum. I think JL seriously ran out of energy and over delegated things. But all in all, his record speaks for itself. 4 postseason appearances, 2 World Series, just no World Title. Still an outstanding performance, but time to go.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty, I like your take except I don't think that JL let the inmates run the asylum. I think JL seriously ran out of energy and over delegated things. But all in all, his record speaks for itself. 4 postseason appearances, 2 World Series, just no World Title. Still an outstanding performance, but time to go.

Miggy ignoring stop signs. Prince starting EVERY. STINKING. DAY. Despite being the third best first baseman on the team. Raburn at second..... I don't know how he could defend a lot of his decisions other than to sooth egos, calm attitudes and let things slide. I do have respect for his loyalty to players, coaches and the like. And I appreciate his efforts. But you're right, it was time.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy ignoring stop signs. Prince starting EVERY. STINKING. DAY. Despite being the third best first baseman on the team. Raburn at second..... I don't know how he could defend a lot of his decisions other than to sooth egos, calm attitudes and let things slide. I do have respect for his loyalty to players, coaches and the like. And I appreciate his efforts. But you're right, it was time.

Miggy got a "go" signal from Brookens, then Tom changed it too late for Cabrera to hold up because of his condition (i.m.o.).

Most astute managers get all their players involved, so I hope we can agree to disagree, and agree it was time.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish for Ausmus is that he can manage almost as well as the fans who will eventually criticize him.

:whistle:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Dusty started his campaign for the job I cringed. No way no how did I want him! The only way I wanted a retread is if it was a Fracona type guy....Mattingly

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy got a "go" signal from Brookens, then Tom changed it too late for Cabrera to hold up because of his condition (i.m.o.).

Most astute managers get all their players involved, so I hope we can agree to disagree, and agree it was time.

Miggy has ignored his coaches for years. Before Brookens he ignored Geno. (I was listening on the radio during the recent one, so I have no problem taking your word on it at all towner). He did mature a great deal over the years in Detroit. And some of that could be credited to Leyland. Jim definitely stands by his guys which had to be big for Miguel when his life was a mess. I'll stick with what we agree on.... It was time.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Astros manager Phil Garner, on why he was playing backup catcher Brad Ausmus so much in 2008:

"I have to keep him playing, because if he starts managing, he'll be better than me."

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great hire.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Astros manager Phil Garner, on why he was playing backup catcher Brad Ausmus so much in 2008:

"I have to keep him playing, because if he starts managing, he'll be better than me."

Catchers frequently do become good managers.

Forget that "tools of ignorance" nonsense, the position demands better than usual understanding
of what works for particular pitchers and what doesn't than most positions.

So it would be no surprise to me if Ausmus did have a winning record as a manager. A winning LONG-TERM record.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy has ignored his coaches for years. Before Brookens he ignored Geno. (I was listening on the radio during the recent one, so I have no problem taking your word on it at all towner). He did mature a great deal over the years in Detroit. And some of that could be credited to Leyland. Jim definitely stands by his guys which had to be big for Miguel when his life was a mess. I'll stick with what we agree on.... It was time.

I'll drink to that my good man...then again, I. will drink to almost anything.

:lol:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dave D gets some guys to round out the bullpen and beef up the speed.

If the Tigers get a few solid guys then I think the club will be fine and Ausmus will not be trying to do the bullpen by committee thing.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard yesterday that Geno was going to hire Ausmus as a coach had he got the Red Sox job over Bobby V. Hadnt realized LaMont was with Houston when Ausmus was playing for Scrap Iron Phil. Makes him saying on as bench coach that much more practical. Not that I didn't like the move in the first place. Brings some continuity to the club, and we all know Gene is fun to pick on. Is Toby Harrah going to be the lone hittin coach? Im hoping Jeff Jones stays on, unless JV has any objections.

K

kengel6

Damn, Mariners got L. Mc . Now can we find a hitting coach?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Jones back as pitching coach. Dave Clark hired as 3rd base coach. I really liked him in the Dave Clark 5...good drummer. I am surprised, with him being British, that he was interested in American baseball. Maybe they could hire Pete Townsend or Roger Daltry as first base coach?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing that Lloyd Mac....believed by some to be the biggest piece of crap that ever put on a pair of baseball spikes...has been hired to MANAGE a MLB team. I think that shows a total lack of respect to certain fans! Ditto for Gene Lamont. Seems he has some skills that were missed by a few. I have always felt that you can't tell every thing about a coach, just by a few moments of TV eyeballing. But, hey, what do I know?