• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers To Hire Brad Ausmus As Manager

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good hire

Last edited by a moderator:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been living under a rock.

What previous work has Ausmus done as a manager?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire. We needed a fresh face.

I wonder if he's interested in a player-manager roll. :whistle: Seriously though, he needs to show our guys how to gun someone out.

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire. We needed a fresh face.

I wonder if he's interested in a player-manager roll. :whistle: Seriously though, he needs to show our guys how to gun someone out.

i cant see these team of Vets taking kindly to a " gun someone out "

that hooo-rayy bullshit works for teams like the Rays.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to follow suite of the Cardinal and Red Sox.. Let's hope it works.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am happy Dave D went outside the organization! I would also think Illitch had a say in this hiring! Ilitch has always had a soft spot for exTigers.

I would think getting a quality bench coach that can relate to the Hispanic players would help Ausmus greatly.

K

kengel6

What, no Lloyd Mc hiring????????????

I hope this guy brings some NEW direction to address fundamentals of the game, like baserunning, moving the runner, and maybe getting runners home from second base.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant see these team of Vets taking kindly to a " gun someone out "

that hooo-rayy bullshit works for teams like the Rays.

Ausmus was a catcher man. And a good one. Detroits catchers last season were basically terrible at throwing out base runners. Brad might help in that area. If the vets aren't down with that kind of hoo-raayy bullshit, maybe they should make like Leyland and get the fuck outta here. (Pena already did)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw Ausmus as a rah rah guy!

He was a gold glove catcher and an all star. In the end the players will decide how far Detroit goes. What is so hard about penciling Miggy into the lineup everyday? And Verlander and Scherzer every 5th day?

The keys to the Tigers success next year will be Dave D giving Ausmus a bull pen with quality closer and some speed on the base paths. A station to station team or a fundamentally sound team only happens if the Tigers have those type of guys.

Ausmus will definitely eli the pitchers and catchers as well as working with Iggy and possibly Castellanos. Young guys needing a patient guy that teaches. Detroit needs to hit on a few prospects as they will not be signing guys that will push them to the luxury tax area.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ausmus and Leyland are completely different minds. The way he manages games will not be what we are used to (from what i've read anyway). But change is good, and needed for success sometimes.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ausmus and Leyland are completely different minds. The way he manages games will not be what we are used to (from what i've read anyway). But change is good, and needed for success sometimes.

This is a good point. Exactly what kind of manager is he expected to be and how will that mesh with the current assets on the team? I think we will learn a lot about his style from DD's off-season moves. Will we try to get faster (hard not to)? I find it hard to believe the Tigers will make a serious attempt to get Choo but we need a leadoff hitter. I still would rather see them trade current players for younger (riskier) talent or trade those players and restock the minor leagues and fix the roster via FA.

hockeydad55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that there are no Terry Francona's out there right now, I like this pick. There was no perfect choice for this hire. Dusty Baker has a reputation for not finishing and is almost as old as Leyland. And fan bases have been frustrated with him wherever he has been. Ausmus has the background that historically in MLB makes the best managers. A defensive minded catcher who always had a reputation as a very smart player. His only knock is lack of experience. It's high risk / high reward. He could be the next great young manager. Again, there are no obvious choices for this hire. So, given that, I'm ok with this. Hopefully we hit a home run with this one and he'll be at the helm for a long long time.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of two things is likely to happen.

1) Ausmus acquiesces to the clubhouse leaders (Miggy, JV) and never fully gains control of the team.
2) Ausmus asserts control over the team and butts heads with these same guys.

Leyland ruled the clubhouse loosely and still got respect. It will be tough for a new, inexperienced guy to come in and do the same, especially if/when the team hits a rough patch.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree jalopy. Can Ausmus keep a quiet clubhouse? Leyland did that with the respect and experience he had. Ausmus has to build that respect.

I see Ausmus kept Lamont as bench coach....good move. Regardless of what some Tiger fans think of him...Gene brings experience. (Just don't let him coach third)

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw Ausmus as a rah rah guy!

He was a gold glove catcher and an all star. In the end the players will decide how far Detroit goes. What is so hard about penciling Miggy into the lineup everyday? And Verlander and Scherzer every 5th day?

The keys to the Tigers success next year will be Dave D giving Ausmus a bull pen with quality closer and some speed on the base paths. A station to station team or a fundamentally sound team only happens if the Tigers have those type of guys.

Ausmus will definitely eli the pitchers and catchers as well as working with Iggy and possibly Castellanos. Young guys needing a patient guy that teaches. Detroit needs to hit on a few prospects as they will not be signing guys that will push them to the luxury tax area.

i believe Dombrowski will trade Scherzer, sign a 2B and a Choo / Ellsbury

Scherzer is a scary thought for next years off-season.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Coach is only as good as the people he has around him....Lets see what kind of staff he brings in...

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burf....let me bounce this off you. Watching Steelers game with some friends and conversation was about coaches. Your statement above was mentioned several times....not just about asst coaches, but players as well. This thought came to my mind.....IF the tigers had won the World Series (this year or last).....the praise would have gone largely to the players and less to JL and the coaches. Yet, since they lost, doesn't it seem that JL and the coaches took a larger share of the blame? Players win games - coaches (mgr) lose games. Do you think fans are really that stupid? And if that is true....why not just let the players coach, or at least let THEM pick the coaches?

Sorry, early in the morning.....need coffee.:noidea:

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Ronnie what are u doing watching the Steelers when The 9-0 Chiefs are playing? Not one person knows everything and if they think they do they are a fool. A smart Manager will surround himself with people smarter than him and take there input. It is not as simple as blaming one guy for everything but the guy at the top takes the most shit.... Is Ausmus the best guy I don't but who he picks to work with will give us an idea where he wants to take the Tigers.....