• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on IPA beers?

Ralph Murphy

Master of Mustachery
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,192.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where 14th star is from...but the other ones on that list don't get distributed much outside of Ohio (aside from the Cigar City one of course).

I should scroll through my Untapped list to see if I could add a few more national ones. Definitely would add Hopslam.

I like this one....it may be national....says Ale but it is basically an IPA

images

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts:

They're good

Ralph Murphy

Master of Mustachery
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,192.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Russian River distribute?

I've only had/seen them in Santa Rosa.

My wife's ex-boss used to make runs up to the brewery a couple times a year to buy the Pliney. He was nice enough to let us have a bottle from one trip. You can get 1 case per person I think, and he would go with friends.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife's ex-boss used to make runs up to the brewery a couple times a year to buy the Pliney. He was nice enough to let us have a bottle from one trip. You can get 1 case per person I think, and he would go with friends.
My sister lived in SR for awhile.

I grabbed a case with gifts as the intent. But that didn't come to fruition. lol

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this one....it may be national....says Ale but it is basically an IPA

images
Yeah, I've had that one.

I'm going to be close to 3 Floyds in a few weeks, so I'm going to load up my suitcase with some beers. You can get them here, but some CAN be hard to come by sometimes.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friend travels to CA fairly often, and he brought back 3. He shared one of them with me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all of them have a pine flavor. I had a Black IPA the other day and it was very smooth.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maharaja is fairly good.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, a good, cold IPA beats pretty much every other style any day of the week. Whether you prefer east coast, west coast, or somewhere in between is just a personal preference and a version of each can be found in most local stores.

I don't get the variety as larger cities, but SN Torpedo is one I pick up often. Their Celebration Ale is also pretty good, as long as you get it when it first comes out and doesn't sit on the shelf (expending on your location).

Bell's Two- Hearted Ale is another regular. I like Deuchutes fresh squeezed over their pine drop, but both serve. Sculpin is good, as well as, Dogfish 60 and 90 minute (haven't had a chance to try 120). Langunitas is okay, but not a regular for me. I'll also pick up a 6 pack of local/regional IPAs to give a whirl and like several. Would love to try some of the "top rated" IPAs if given the chance, but know they'd be impossible to find on a regular basis, so I wanted to find local flavors that suited my taste.

IPA is an acquired taste to most and is a style that is very opinionated. The best advice I could give anyone would be to just pick up a 6-pack of a different IPA that you can find locally and see what you prefer. There will always be the 'holy grail' versions that can only be found in that area or with a huge shipping bill, and those would be nice to try if you're ever in the area, but find something that you like and can get in your region.

Beer, in general, is a great experience in finding your "brand". Even better if you can brew your own. Regardless, no one is right, and no one is wrong with their preferences. As they say, you can't complain about what a friend gives you, except the temperature.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a fan of IPA's... But I've been drinking some Space Dust quite a bit recently. The only IPA I can drink.​

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tried Coronado Brewing's Stingray Imperial IPA over the weekend. Very good and surprisingly smooth for a DIPA.