• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts about the league after a 1/3rd of the season

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno what the drama was that ended Leonard in San Antonio.

I ain't got no beef with the guy.

If the Spurs are a dead team come playoff time, I got nothing better to do. Why not root for the Raptors to win the East?
i mean, he sort of faked an injury for a year. he's still a premiere player, but that seemed like shit thing to do.

LUNCHBOX

LOGIC
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are now starting to get to a point where teams and players are settling in to who they really are. So what are everyone's thoughts about the league?

Here are a few of mine.

The Raptors are legit. Siakim has turned into an absolute steal for the Raps. If Kawhi stays healthy they are probably the favorites to win the East and could even give the Warriors a solid run for their money. I was completely wrong about them.

The Bucks are legitish but a little deceiving. They started the season out absolutely on fire but have come down to Earth quite a bit. I see them as a 4 seed this year.

The Celtics are finding themselves. Might be tough for them to get to 60 wins at this point but I would be surprised if they aren't a top 3 seed.

The Sixers have the best top 3 outside of the Bay area. But they are sorely lacking in depth. They need to get some front court help and a defensive wing that can defend guards. I think they are looking at reprising last season as a 3 seed with mid-50 wins.

The Pacers are an exciting team and Sabonis is having a breakout season. But Turner has regressed and it is hard to see them as anything more than a 2nd round exit. They could sneak into the top 4 if one of the other teams falter.

The rest of the East are stories of overachievers and underachievers that won't do much this season except maybe be doormats in the playoffs.

In the East, the Warriors are still the team to beat and barring serious injuries it is hard to see anyone taking them down this year. Curry might become the first player to ever be a true 50/50/90 player(Kerr did it but on fewer than 2 3PA a game)

A bunch of early overachieving teams have come back down. Nuggets, Clippers, Pelicans and Griz all started strong. But they have all faded some in recent weeks. 2 of those teams are likely to hold on for a playoff spot and 2 of them won't. No idea which ones will do it.

The Rockets are in serious trouble and could be for a while. Could be constant HardenBall which is just not enough to be anything more than a low seed and early playoff exit at best.

The Mavs are the surprise team of the season for me. I thought Luka was going to be a great pick up for the Mavs but I didn't expect him to have the impact he's having so far. Probably their ceiling is 1st round exit but that is damn impressive given what people thought they would be.
I agree with much of what you said except for the part about the warriors in the east.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How 'bout dem Nets?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucks look like they could be for real! They have played one of the toughest schedules so far and have the easiest strength of schedule through the remaining season. With luck they can stay healthy enough.

What the Schedule Can Tell Us About Who’s Real in the NBA

Milwaukee Bucks
Record: 18-9

SOS: T-Fifth (ESPN), Ninth (B-R)

Here’s the team everyone should fear. The Bucks boast the NBA’s best net rating and Pythagorean record, which estimates a team’s “expected” record based on point differential and is more predictive of future performance than straight win-loss record—and Milwaukee hasn’t yet started picking on the Eastern cellar-dwellers. The Bucks have faced just eight sub-.500 opponents; for comparison, Toronto, Philly, and Boston are at 13 and Indiana a whopping 16. Meanwhile, no team currently with a winning record has faced as many opponents with .500 or better records than Milwaukee’s 19.

Unlike some of the bubble teams discussed above, the Bucks are already a playoff guarantee. The question becomes whether coach Mike Budenholzer, in his first season in Milwaukee, can keep his team among the elite. Milwaukee’s net rating sits at plus-8.6 so far, and the team has the easiest schedule of any remaining team, per Tankathon, as well as the star power and 3-point marksmen to blow out inferior opponents. The Bucks have already collected 11 wins of 15-plus points, tops in the NBA and one more than the Warriors, and plenty more are sure to come.

Could their net rating reach plus-10 by the end of the season? According to Basketball-Reference data, which extends back to the 1983-84 season, the only Eastern teams to reach a double-digit net rating are three Jordan Bulls teams, the 2007-08 Ubuntu Celtics, and the 66-win 2008-09 Cavaliers. Giannis might be coming for LeBron in more ways than expected.

Remaining Schedule Strength | Tankathon

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Luka the ROY award now.

Zion contest looks to be down to 5 teams.
Some big games coming up.
Hawks at Knicks tonight. Go hawks.
Chicago at Cleveland on Sunday.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Luka the ROY award now.

Zion contest looks to be down to 5 teams.
Some big games coming up.
Hawks at Knicks tonight. Go hawks.
Chicago at Cleveland on Sunday.

It is more exciting who will be the worst team than the best lol.

Hawks and Bulls with 7 wins.
Cavs and Suns with 8 wins.
Knicks with 9 wins.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really doesnt matter, 16 teams make the playoffs, as long as you finish there, wont start playing seriously for another 30 games

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucks look like they could be for real! They have played one of the toughest schedules so far and have the easiest strength of schedule through the remaining season. With luck they can stay healthy enough.

What the Schedule Can Tell Us About Who’s Real in the NBA

Milwaukee Bucks
Record: 18-9

SOS: T-Fifth (ESPN), Ninth (B-R)

Here’s the team everyone should fear. The Bucks boast the NBA’s best net rating and Pythagorean record, which estimates a team’s “expected” record based on point differential and is more predictive of future performance than straight win-loss record—and Milwaukee hasn’t yet started picking on the Eastern cellar-dwellers. The Bucks have faced just eight sub-.500 opponents; for comparison, Toronto, Philly, and Boston are at 13 and Indiana a whopping 16. Meanwhile, no team currently with a winning record has faced as many opponents with .500 or better records than Milwaukee’s 19.

Unlike some of the bubble teams discussed above, the Bucks are already a playoff guarantee. The question becomes whether coach Mike Budenholzer, in his first season in Milwaukee, can keep his team among the elite. Milwaukee’s net rating sits at plus-8.6 so far, and the team has the easiest schedule of any remaining team, per Tankathon, as well as the star power and 3-point marksmen to blow out inferior opponents. The Bucks have already collected 11 wins of 15-plus points, tops in the NBA and one more than the Warriors, and plenty more are sure to come.

Could their net rating reach plus-10 by the end of the season? According to Basketball-Reference data, which extends back to the 1983-84 season, the only Eastern teams to reach a double-digit net rating are three Jordan Bulls teams, the 2007-08 Ubuntu Celtics, and the 66-win 2008-09 Cavaliers. Giannis might be coming for LeBron in more ways than expected.

Remaining Schedule Strength | Tankathon

The Bucks are great and Giannis is brooding

Drawing parallels to the 2014-15 Golden State Warriors is a dangerous exercise, but spend some time with the Milwaukee Bucks and you'll see glimpses. A once unremarkable 44-38 squad that bowed out of the 2018 playoffs early is now focused and growing comfortable in its identity. More than two months into the season, the Bucks sport the NBA's best point differential and rank among the top five in both offensive and defensive efficiency -- the only team in the league to do so.

Giannis Antetokounmpo is an early favorite for the 2019 MVP award, and the team will play on Christmas Day for the first time since 1977. Under a new head coach, the Bucks are learning on the fly how to master an unfamiliar system designed to maximize an elite superstar.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are now starting to get to a point where teams and players are settling in to who they really are. So what are everyone's thoughts about the league?

Here are a few of mine.

The Raptors are legit. Siakim has turned into an absolute steal for the Raps. If Kawhi stays healthy they are probably the favorites to win the East and could even give the Warriors a solid run for their money. I was completely wrong about them.

The Bucks are legitish but a little deceiving. They started the season out absolutely on fire but have come down to Earth quite a bit. I see them as a 4 seed this year.

The Celtics are finding themselves. Might be tough for them to get to 60 wins at this point but I would be surprised if they aren't a top 3 seed.

The Sixers have the best top 3 outside of the Bay area. But they are sorely lacking in depth. They need to get some front court help and a defensive wing that can defend guards. I think they are looking at reprising last season as a 3 seed with mid-50 wins.

The Pacers are an exciting team and Sabonis is having a breakout season. But Turner has regressed and it is hard to see them as anything more than a 2nd round exit. They could sneak into the top 4 if one of the other teams falter.

The rest of the East are stories of overachievers and underachievers that won't do much this season except maybe be doormats in the playoffs.

In the East, the Warriors are still the team to beat and barring serious injuries it is hard to see anyone taking them down this year. Curry might become the first player to ever be a true 50/50/90 player(Kerr did it but on fewer than 2 3PA a game)

A bunch of early overachieving teams have come back down. Nuggets, Clippers, Pelicans and Griz all started strong. But they have all faded some in recent weeks. 2 of those teams are likely to hold on for a playoff spot and 2 of them won't. No idea which ones will do it.

The Rockets are in serious trouble and could be for a while. Could be constant HardenBall which is just not enough to be anything more than a low seed and early playoff exit at best.

The Mavs are the surprise team of the season for me. I thought Luka was going to be a great pick up for the Mavs but I didn't expect him to have the impact he's having so far. Probably their ceiling is 1st round exit but that is damn impressive given what people thought they would be.

I can’t believe the mavs preferred giving up a top 10 pick than Harrison Barnes

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been getting a kick out of the media's season long (so far) overreaction to the Lakers.

When they struggled earlier in the season it was "What's wrong with the Lakers?" and "How long will Lebron and Magic be patient?"

Now, that they're playing better it's "The Lakers are a surprise" and "No one saw them being a 4 seed". lol

I've even heard a couple of media guys say that they're going to win the West. To be fair, one of them based his prediction off of his belief that Magic will pull off a trade for AD before the deadline.

How about...they're more or less on schedule and them being 4th in the West has as much to do with teams like the Rockets, Jazz and Spurs not being quite as good as expected as it does with the Lakers playing well? :noidea:

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think we already know who is gonna make the playoffs. That is when the fun really begins. The reg season is kinda like something you just need to survive before the main meal. The same teams seem to make it year in and year out