• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Years QB Class, Reach at best.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the purpose of this discussion -- at least my perspective of it -- that's neither here nor there. Those guys may very well be better than Winston, Mariota, and everyone else drafted this year. But going into last year's draft, we weren't talking of those guys as highly as we're talking of Winston & Mariota. That's my point. And I'm focused on the majority of "experts" and analysts, not "me" or "you" per se.
Carr was my choice for New England - not Garrapolo. I liked Mettenberger too.
I think Jameis Winston is a bust. Don't know about Mariota but at #2 he is a certainly a reach. If any other QB gets drafted before the 3rd down, the OP is correct in calling it a reach. IMHO

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say this draft has a lot more question marks at the QB position than most like. If you look at Winston just from last year's perspective the guy is just off the charts easily the #1 overall pick. He obviously struggled some this year and the off the field issues make it that much more complicated but honestly he is a very smart guy that is about as pro ready as they come. Mariota is one that I think has to go to the right team to make it work. A team is going to have to be willing to build around his skills or be willing to give him a year or two to redevelop his game. I don't see that happening though so I see him really struggling.

Beyond them though is a group of guys that it just depends which game you watch. Petty had moments that you just were left going "WOW!" He also though had moments that you just say this kid needs maybe 3-years of sitting on the bench before he is ready. He is raw but the kid has a great arm and decent legs. Again if he goes to the right situation I think he can be successful.

The next guy for most is Hundley. I think he has bust written all over him. He is very sporadic in throwing the football, isn't the most athletic, doesn't have great pocket awareness, and the little he did try playing from a pro system he failed miserably forcing the team to have to go back to a college shotgun spread offense just to make it work.

The two though that really intrigue me for this draft are Garrett Grayson of CSU and Sean Mannion of OSU. Grayson played in a pro style offense and was very successful. Obviously he played against weaker teams so have to take that into account but he had some ridiculous games. Mannion is probably my favorite quarterback in this draft. He had a very down year this past year but if this guy had any kind of blocking and wasn't having to throw off his back foot almost every single pass I think this guy could be a franchise quarterback. When he does have time to set his feet he is about as accurate as they come. Even with pressure constantly he still threw for 60% completion or better I think all 4-years of college. He hangs tough in the pocket and has a very live arm when he wants to but knows how to have great touch and really use his eyes to help move defenders where he wants them. Those are pro ready veteran moves that he is making in my opinion.

So while this draft doesn't have the big time names past the top-2 I do think there will be a star that emerges from one of that next group. They have all hinted at potential and I do think one of them will see that potential become reality.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the purpose of this discussion -- at least my perspective of it -- that's neither here nor there. Those guys may very well be better than Winston, Mariota, and everyone else drafted this year. But going into last year's draft, we weren't talking of those guys as highly as we're talking of Winston & Mariota. That's my point. And I'm focused on the majority of "experts" and analysts, not "me" or "you" per se.

You are right but last year the top QB's didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth. There is something very very wrong with the top 2 QB's this year and i can not put my finger on it. All i can say is Manziel would be talked about like Luck was, saying how he is a lock at #1 and a can't miss prospect if he was in this Draft class and they didn't know what they know now after 1 season.

Between Mariota and Winston i think Mariota has the best chance for success. Who ever takes these guys won't have a top flight Oline so their QB better be quick on his feet or get the ball out fast and those both favor Mariota. He might not read the defense as well but i can see both these guys doing a 1 read and go but Winston can't run lmao.