• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Years QB Class, Reach at best.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at this years QB class and shake my head. In just a normal year the top 2 QB's in THIS class wouldn't be top 15 picks and maybe even one or both would drop to the bottom half of the first round and possibly out of the first round. I am so glad we have Russell Wilson and do not need to reach and draft a "possible" starting QB but most likely a career back-up between Winston and Mariota. But this also got me thinking. We know QB is one of the most important positions on the field but is it so important that you draft say a 2 or 3 star QB over a 5 star player in other area's like DE, DL, CB, OL? makes no sense at all to me and i feel it really isn't how the draft was supposed to work.

It's sad to think that some mediocre QB's will be drafted before some true top flight players.

Now one or both might turn out great but that's not what i am talking about. Wilson was a better QB in College than both these guys and he went in the 3rd round ( yes i know he is 5 foot 11 ). So much is placed on finding that franchise QB that it is really undermining teams because they are forced to waste top 5 picks on a player that is maybe not even rated in the top 20-30 best players in college football.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at this years QB class and shake my head. In just a normal year the top 2 QB's in THIS class wouldn't be top 15 picks and maybe even one or both would drop to the bottom half of the first round and possibly out of the first round. I am so glad we have Russell Wilson and do not need to reach and draft a "possible" starting QB but most likely a career back-up between Winston and Mariota. But this also got me thinking. We know QB is one of the most important positions on the field but is it so important that you draft say a 2 or 3 star QB over a 5 star player in other area's like DE, DL, CB, OL? makes no sense at all to me and i feel it really isn't how the draft was supposed to work.

It's sad to think that some mediocre QB's will be drafted before some true top flight players.

Now one or both might turn out great but that's not what i am talking about. Wilson was a better QB in College than both these guys and he went in the 3rd round ( yes i know he is 5 foot 11 ). So much is placed on finding that franchise QB that it is really undermining teams because they are forced to waste top 5 picks on a player that is maybe not even rated in the top 20-30 best players in college football.
Only a few drafts are loaded with really good QBs. The year the Seahawks drafted Wilson was one. I thought last year was decent in that regard.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a few drafts are loaded with really good QBs. The year the Seahawks drafted Wilson was one. I thought last year was decent in that regard.

i am not talking about past classes being loaded, i am talking about the normal "quality" that comes through and this year the top two QB's would be late first round picks at best. I mean look at the two QB's that they are talking about being the #1 pick, are you kidding me ...really?!?!?! these guys do not deserve to be picked #1 and if you put all the round 1 QB's for the past 10 years in a list these two guys would be at the bottom of said list lol.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not talking about past classes being loaded, i am talking about the normal "quality" that comes through and this year the top two QB's would be late first round picks at best. I mean look at the two QB's that they are talking about being the #1 pick, are you kidding me ...really?!?!?! these guys do not deserve to be picked #1 and if you put all the round 1 QB's for the past 10 years in a list these two guys would be at the bottom of said list lol.
Winston actually impressed me with his football IQ. To bad he's a head case.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OP is overdoing it just a tad. This is by no means a weak QB class. Winston is a legit #1 based on his on-field stuff. For me I wouldn't take him because I value the character thing more than most, but lots of smart draft analysts like him at #1. And Mariota has everything but the pro style offense box checked. To me Bryce Petty may easily end up being the best QB of this draft, and you can probably get him in the 2nd.

Now, is the QB position over-drafted a bit? Sure, but that's just because all NFL teams recognize that it's THE single most important position on the field, maybe the most important in pro sports. You just can't consistently contend without a top guy there.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OP is overdoing it just a tad. This is by no means a weak QB class. Winston is a legit #1 based on his on-field stuff. For me I wouldn't take him because I value the character thing more than most, but lots of smart draft analysts like him at #1. And Mariota has everything but the pro style offense box checked. To me Bryce Petty may easily end up being the best QB of this draft, and you can probably get him in the 2nd.

Now, is the QB position over-drafted a bit? Sure, but that's just because all NFL teams recognize that it's THE single most important position on the field, maybe the most important in pro sports. You just can't consistently contend without a top guy there.
Well I actual agree with the OP for the most part. Winston has the tools, but not the character,Mariota is a going to be a work in progress, he could work out eventually or be a Kaep part 2. I got to admit I don't know about Petty, I'm going to have to check him out.
I'm sure glad the Seahawks don't need to find that gem of a QB this draft.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. I could see maybe one or two of the guys from this draft have a starting job in the future, but there is no way that Winston/Mariota should be picked 1,2...

Last edited by a moderator:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I actual agree with the OP for the most part. Winston has the tools, but not the character,Mariota is a going to be a work in progress, he could work out eventually or be a Kaep part 2. I got to admit I don't know about Petty, I'm going to have to check him out.
I'm sure glad the Seahawks don't need to find that gem of a QB this draft.

That's pretty much it. You have a good QB and you are not in desperation mode. The rest will stumble or get lucky

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not the draft if you ask me to be looking for a franchise QB, i just do not think there is one. Now Like i said Mariota or Winston could turn out to be studs but all signs do not point in that direction. I believe Winston thanks he is better than he really is, not a good sign. Mariota has raw talent but will it convert to a franchise QB? Kaep had better Talent coming out of college than both these guys and he has not turned into a franchise QB. Jake Locker if you ask me had better talent than these two QB's and look at where he is now, retired after never fulfilling his supposed stock.Sam Bradford is light years better than these two and he ... ok he has been hit with the injury bug but still.

Every year there is 1 or 2 QB's i would think to myself "he could be a superstar" these two i do not feel like that although i feel Mariota is the safer bet of the two. These are two players i wouldn't stake my career on if i worked in the NFL though and there has been at least 1 or 2 every year ( bust or not ) that i would have staked my career on. All i am saying is neither of the top 2 QB fill me with any confidence that they "might" be good.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not the draft if you ask me to be looking for a franchise QB, i just do not think there is one. Now Like i said Mariota or Winston could turn out to be studs but all signs do not point in that direction. I believe Winston thanks he is better than he really is, not a good sign. Mariota has raw talent but will it convert to a franchise QB? Kaep had better Talent coming out of college than both these guys and he has not turned into a franchise QB. Jake Locker if you ask me had better talent than these two QB's and look at where he is now, retired after never fulfilling his supposed stock.Sam Bradford is light years better than these two and he ... ok he has been hit with the injury bug but still.

Everyone gets their opinion I suppose. Yours is fairly rare when compared to most I've seen about this draft's top QBs. It isn't Luck/RG3, but I don't think that means it's a bad QB class. Not every draft is like 83, 99, 04, or 12...and that's why those years stick out. I guess we'll see.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not 100% sold on Winston. His first full season was obviously outstanding but the "red flags" for me is how he preformed this past season. TD's went way down, avg yds per pass attempt went down and int's almost doubled. Teams schemed differently with a full year of tape on him and Winston couldn't make the full adjustments.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not 100% sold on Winston. His first full season was obviously outstanding but the "red flags" for me is how he preformed this past season. TD's went way down, avg yds per pass attempt went down and int's almost doubled. Teams schemed differently with a full year of tape on him and Winston couldn't make the full adjustments.
Me neither. I wouldnt draft him #1, no way. But I'm not huge on risking top picks on QBs because the bust rate is right around 50%....and when these guys bust, it means they're flat outta the league in like 3 or 4 years.

My position is just that on the whole, this QB class is no worse than average. It may even be slightly above average. Lots of "smart" draft guys like Winston a lot, even at #1.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me neither. I wouldnt draft him #1, no way. But I'm not huge on risking top picks on QBs because the bust rate is right around 50%....and when these guys bust, it means they're flat outta the league in like 3 or 4 years.

My position is just that on the whole, this QB class is no worse than average. It may even be slightly above average. Lots of "smart" draft guys like Winston a lot, even at #1.
I guess time will tell. Color me unimpressed with this crop of QBs.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really would hate to be the GM with this pick cause if you take Winston and he busts, your career could be over. If you pass on Winston and he becomes a stud, your career could be over if you can't find another franchise QB when you had one the right in front of you. It's so easy for these "smart" draft guys to say take Winston at #1 cause if he doesn't pan out, they're the ones that aren't getting fired. At least this draft class is far better then last years class of QB's.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many games does Winston win this year with Tampa? Go on record!!!!!
I'll say 5

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably get the # 1 pick again next year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really would hate to be the GM with this pick cause if you take Winston and he busts, your career could be over. If you pass on Winston and he becomes a stud, your career could be over if you can't find another franchise QB when you had one the right in front of you. It's so easy for these "smart" draft guys to say take Winston at #1 cause if he doesn't pan out, they're the ones that aren't getting fired. At least this draft class is far better then last years class of QB's.

I think Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater and Mettenberger will all be better QB's than Winston and Mariota.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater and Mettenberger will all be better QB's than Winston and Mariota.
Not sure if they end up being better, but all four of them looked decent to good for rookies on bad team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the purpose of this discussion -- at least my perspective of it -- that's neither here nor there. Those guys may very well be better than Winston, Mariota, and everyone else drafted this year. But going into last year's draft, we weren't talking of those guys as highly as we're talking of Winston & Mariota. That's my point. And I'm focused on the majority of "experts" and analysts, not "me" or "you" per se.