• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This will be the year for the Bengals

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin was known for being one of the best linebacker coaches and defensive minds in the NFL... before coming here and becoming a laughing stock of course.
To be fair, he built that reputation working for two first class organizations. He worked with excellent linebackers, a great HC, and a great FO with the Steelers. Then he had the benefit of working with a defense that Ozzie Newsome built in his prime years as a GM. So, not trying to take anything away from Marvin, but it must have been nice to have such great organizational commitment.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he built that reputation working for two first class organizations. He worked with excellent linebackers, a great HC, and a great FO with the Steelers. Then he had the benefit of working with a defense that Ozzie Newsome built in his prime years as a GM. So, not trying to take anything away from Marvin, but it must have been nice to have such great organizational commitment.
Yes, that is all true, but I'd be willing to bet that when he wanted a guy - he got the guy and didn't have to listen to the Owner speak about 1970's football, or whatever it is that Mike Brown believes in that would work in today's NFL.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow only has 1 int, considering he's running for his life as often as he is, that's amazing!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow only has 1 int, considering he's running for his life as often as he is, that's amazing!

Yeah.... And that was just a stupid shovel pass where he was trying to make something happen. Wasn't even a real pass.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to admit, he may actually be better than Jeff Blake and Tim Tebow.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid to say he's better than Andy Dalton, I still have PTSD from the last time I said something like that.

(but he is)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton was good. I had little issue with Dalton other than - things had to be perfect around him for you to think that he could win you a game. He wasn't a Big Ben, or Russel Wilson, or (insert any other QB just about) where you felt like every Sunday you had a chance to win the game because even if things went south, the QB could rise up and carry their team. He was a decent game manager - a Joe Flacco type (less the super bowl run, of course). It's a damned shame that he was hurt in 2015, because he was going to be a leader in NFL passing that year, and it really could have springboarded the team, and himself. That being said...

Burrow has shown that he can go out there and win you games. Now, he hasn't been able to carry the team to a win, but he has already shown that he doesn't backdown from adversity - and actually looks like he thrives on it. Just imagine if he had the kind of time to throw that most QB's enjoy across the NFL while fielding a competent offensive line. If the Bengals could put a competent line around him, I don't think there's any doubt from anyone that they would feel good about their chances every single Sunday with Burrow under center.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton was good. I had little issue with Dalton other than - things had to be perfect around him for you to think that he could win you a game. He wasn't a Big Ben, or Russel Wilson, or (insert any other QB just about) where you felt like every Sunday you had a chance to win the game because even if things went south, the QB could rise up and carry their team. He was a decent game manager - a Joe Flacco type (less the super bowl run, of course). It's a damned shame that he was hurt in 2015, because he was going to be a leader in NFL passing that year, and it really could have springboarded the team, and himself. That being said...

Burrow has shown that he can go out there and win you games. Now, he hasn't been able to carry the team to a win, but he has already shown that he doesn't backdown from adversity - and actually looks like he thrives on it. Just imagine if he had the kind of time to throw that most QB's enjoy across the NFL while fielding a competent offensive line. If the Bengals could put a competent line around him, I don't think there's any doubt from anyone that they would feel good about their chances every single Sunday with Burrow under center.

upgrades on the OL and solidifying our defense would make this a winning team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upgrades on the OL and solidifying our defense would make this a winning team.
I think the DC needs to get a serious look over the off-season. I mean, you can only give up so many scoring drives at the end of half before you start realizing that it's the scheme/call and not just the players. It's been an issue going back to last year with this DC - at some point the players change, but the results being the same mean that it's not the players. At least, not in this case.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, if our HC wouldn't be a HC anywhere else, and your DC wouldn't be a DC anywhere else, as an organization you need to think about what you are doing.

you aren't innovating, or taking risks, you are shooting blindfolded, or perhaps just hiring people who won't upset you with demands.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, if our HC wouldn't be a HC anywhere else, and your DC wouldn't be a DC anywhere else, as an organization you need to think about what you are doing.

you aren't innovating, or taking risks, you are shooting blindfolded, or perhaps just hiring people who won't upset you with demands.

I agree about Anarumo, it is his scheme. Too many good players even on our defense to still be this freaking bad. We still can't tackle, that is something we were not able to do with a defensive guru like Marvin. That has to be solved. Guys need to be more aggressive and attack the ball.

I am undecided about Taylor. I think he has the ability to be a damn good coach, but he is going through his first two years of getting his feet wet as a young guy that hasn't been in top positions around the league yet to know what will and will not work. I think to me the jury is still out on him.

Our defensive coach though, his scheme is horrible. It would be helpful if we had a healthy Atkins and Waynes. It is what it is though, depth is crappy, scheme is crappy, inability to overcome and succeed is crappy. I like a lot of our defensive players, but we should be doing better with the talent we have. That is on the defensive coach.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better start winning next year and protecting Burrow better or we will not be watching him in stripes after his 5th year option is picked up and fulfilled. Maybe franchise tag 6th year, but never be able to afford a 2nd franchise tag on a QB.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Anarumo, it is his scheme. Too many good players even on our defense to still be this freaking bad. We still can't tackle, that is something we were not able to do with a defensive guru like Marvin. That has to be solved. Guys need to be more aggressive and attack the ball.

I am undecided about Taylor. I think he has the ability to be a damn good coach, but he is going through his first two years of getting his feet wet as a young guy that hasn't been in top positions around the league yet to know what will and will not work. I think to me the jury is still out on him.

Our defensive coach though, his scheme is horrible. It would be helpful if we had a healthy Atkins and Waynes. It is what it is though, depth is crappy, scheme is crappy, inability to overcome and succeed is crappy. I like a lot of our defensive players, but we should be doing better with the talent we have. That is on the defensive coach.

I may be a little uninformed, but I see our HC went from being a QB coach to a HC.

he may be a genius but I believe someone should have proven themselves as an OC or DC before being HC.
perhaps there are many great HC who never filled in a coordinator roll, if someone is a leader, and their presence fills the room with their ominous expertise and charisma, they should be HC if they want to, but I doubt that is Taylor.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be a little uninformed, but I see our HC went from being a QB coach to a HC.

he may be a genius but I believe someone should have proven themselves as an OC or DC before being HC.
perhaps there are many great HC who never filled in a coordinator roll, if someone is a leader, and their presence fills the room with their ominous expertise and charisma, they should be HC if they want to, but I doubt that is Taylor.
I think being a OC/DC is overrated. How many great OC/DC have the bengals hired as HC and they absolutely failed. Great minds, but they weren't HC's. Those positions aren't really the same thing. The only way that might be helpful is if the coach is going to run the offense/defense - and even then....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The DC was like the 6th choice. Should have had a list ready after the 1st year and took another swing. Not doubled down.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DC was like the 6th choice. Should have had a list ready after the 1st year and took another swing. Not doubled down.
This was the major problem. Think of how much different things might be if Jack Del Rio could have been convinced to take the job. I realize he had some issues as a head coach, but he's a good DC and he would have brought a lot of experience to that coaching staff.

Here's an interesting thought..... What happens when Mike Zimmer gets canned? NFL teams currently aren't big on defensive guys as head coahces - Especially older guys. The Denver hire of Vic Fangio was somewhat surprising because of this. Now, consider that Mike Zimmer still has property in Kentucky and I believe he lives there in the offseason. I would be 100% in favor of Zimmer returning to be the defensive coordinator. I know he's having some struggles in Minny on D this season, but a lot of that is due to the way the roster had to be constructed once all the talent needed to be paid. They simply missed their championship window due to a combination of bad luck and missed opportunities.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Zimmer under Taylor, I would give him another chance as HC.

I guess I'm just not a Taylor believer yet.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d fire Taylor for Zim tomorrow. Give him control over the roster and let him hire who he wants. Zim is still a great coach. Guaranteed he gets more out of this collection of players on defense than the current staff.

Zac Taylor is not an NFL head coach. He was a product of a two year coaching fad of hiring anyone who once shared oxygen with Sean McVay.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the major problem. Think of how much different things might be if Jack Del Rio could have been convinced to take the job. I realize he had some issues as a head coach, but he's a good DC and he would have brought a lot of experience to that coaching staff.

Here's an interesting thought..... What happens when Mike Zimmer gets canned? NFL teams currently aren't big on defensive guys as head coahces - Especially older guys. The Denver hire of Vic Fangio was somewhat surprising because of this. Now, consider that Mike Zimmer still has property in Kentucky and I believe he lives there in the offseason. I would be 100% in favor of Zimmer returning to be the defensive coordinator. I know he's having some struggles in Minny on D this season, but a lot of that is due to the way the roster had to be constructed once all the talent needed to be paid. They simply missed their championship window due to a combination of bad luck and missed opportunities.
I would do this yesterday. Hire him in as a DC - and let him rebuild the defense as needed (shouldn't need much, honestly). If Taylor faulters, you can always keep the continuity of having him take over as HC again. I think that is a perfect situation for the Bengals, so it will never happen.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think its a pipe dream for Zimmer to come back. I think he's done in Minny. Their mistake was going all in on Kirk Cousins - The guy isn't a franchise qb and now their roster has been watered down.

I can't see Zimmer being a hot coaching candidate this time around. Everyone is looking for the shiny college coach or the new offensive genius. I think his only options will be as DC and I think the appeal of being near home will be high. We'll also be in the market for a DC.

And yes, I'd rather have him as the head guy, but I don't think it will happen next year.