• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This team can't pitch for shit

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that both those guys were not thrilled to end up with the Mariners, Dipoto and Servais. Just a guess. I'll bet the Mariners are not the most sought after team to want to join and be part of.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that both those guys were not thrilled to end up with the Mariners, Dipoto and Servais. Just a guess. I'll bet the Mariners are not the most sought after team to want to join and be part of.
Can you blame them? To be part of the Founding Fathers of False Hope, I'm sure there are other things they would much rather have done to them in comparison.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for now the Mariners can stand by with Vogelbach at DH and Santana in LF. Domingo has been exceptionally awful defensively, but I have to assume that will improve. It's way, way, way below his career norm. He was never a great defender, but good enough to justify keeping in LF with his offensive ability.

Julio Rodriguez and Jarred Kelenic likely won't be in the bigs until late 2020 at the earliest, and more likely early 2021. It's a log jam that I think we can deal with right now. If both Vogelbach and Santana continue hitting the way they are right now, I'd probably choose Vogelbach between the two of them. Biggest issue with moving Santana is that it appears the league doesn't value him all that much since we were able to land him for Gamel.

One big variable is Mallex Smith. Unsure what is going on with him right now. Prior to coming back to Seattle he was a plus defender and has been almost as awful as Santana. It confuses me as to how two 26 year old outfielders have regressed so much defensively. It's not like either has lost any of their athletic ability.

True, but if they wait until all of these young potential stud OF are ready to decide, the Mariners will be getting young prospect pitchers in return or back end of the rotation guys. I’d just prefer them try to deal for young prospect pitchers now and have them grow into that window that Jerry hopes to have them being a contender.

I’m not saying they should ship one or the either off but Santana will not be playing in the field when a combo of Lewis/Kelenic/Rodriguez are ready. And by then White should be your 1B as well.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing for a hitter to go on a cold streak because those things happen. Doesn't seem like players go on cold streaks defensively.
Figgins...

Beltre...

maybe a few others from over the years...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can live with below average defense in LF if your CF can make up the difference. However the Mariners obviously dont have that right now, not even close.

This is something I just can’t grasp how Smith can be so bad in the OF. I could understand if he pulling a Gordon trying it out there where he would nearly always make the wrong first step but Smith is mostly just catching.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was my first thought as well. They acquired Kendrys Morales recently, but that seems like a bandaid considering his struggles.

I'm not sure how aggressive the Yanks will look for a DH with the injury situations of Stanton and Judge. I assume when they come back, they'll want to alternate them at DH to help ease them back. Here is an interesting article I read on him:

The state of the trade market for Edwin Encarnación

Stanton had a set back on his rehab but not sure how long. I guess the FO will have to wait till the deadline.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you talking about Servais and Dipoto or the players?

The MLB network did a good little story on the Mariners and how it would be a terrible organization for any player to join as long as Jerry is at the helm. Going to the Mariners means you are about to be traded was the gist of it.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The MLB network did a good little story on the Mariners and how it would be a terrible organization for any player to join as long as Jerry is at the helm. Going to the Mariners means you are about to be traded was the gist of it.

Ill look for that one but yeah I cant imagine a guy like Encarnacion is thrilled right now.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thought it was kind of obvious I was referring to the players.....but part of players not wanting to be "sentenced" to Seattle involves Dip and Servais running this shit show.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but if they wait until all of these young potential stud OF are ready to decide, the Mariners will be getting young prospect pitchers in return or back end of the rotation guys. I’d just prefer them try to deal for young prospect pitchers now and have them grow into that window that Jerry hopes to have them being a contender.

I’m not saying they should ship one or the either off but Santana will not be playing in the field when a combo of Lewis/Kelenic/Rodriguez are ready. And by then White should be your 1B as well.

I mentioned it in my other post, but this also brings up the question of where Mitch Haniger and Mallex Smith fit into all of this. At this point I've pretty much given up on Kyle Lewis to be honest.

If Mallex Smith is able to play like he did in 2017 and 2018, I believe he deserves to be in the long-term picture. He's still young at 26 and under control through 2023.

Some tough decisions regarding the outfield. During the offseason I was on the fence when it came to the idea of trading Haniger, but irrespective of his current struggles I believe he would land a huge haul.

I don't know how common prospect-for-prospect trades are (unless they're failed prospects), but it would be nice if we could somehow convert some of our minor league outfield depth into pitching depth. Beyond Lewis, Kelenic and Rodriguez, I think Jake Fraley and Dom Thompson Williams could be a bit underrated.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figgins...

Beltre...

maybe a few others from over the years...

I think Figgins just stopped giving a shit after he got his money from the Mariners. Also his defensive decline took place when he was 32-33 years old. Regarding Beltre, although his bat dropped off in Seattle I recall him still being incredible defensively.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I just can’t grasp how Smith can be so bad in the OF. I could understand if he pulling a Gordon trying it out there where he would nearly always make the wrong first step but Smith is mostly just catching.

Still have no idea with Smith. I know he had an injury in Spring Training, but I can't recall what it was or if it was something that could linger and perhaps inhibit his athleticism.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill look for that one but yeah I cant imagine a guy like Encarnacion is thrilled right now.

At least Edwin Encarnacion is hitting well and you can even argue that Jay Bruce is performing at a higher level than he did last year in New York, although that is a low bar to hurdle.

Even with Edwin, if he has any common sense he would know he wouldn't be here next year, trade or not. Even though he's hitting better than he did last year, it would be tough to justify exercising his option.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the bright side, Seattle consistently ranks as one of players' favorite places to play.

Not sure if it's the city or the fact that Mariners fans can't heckle other players and they don't have to worry about losing here, lol.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Edwin Encarnacion is hitting well and you can even argue that Jay Bruce is performing at a higher level than he did last year in New York, although that is a low bar to hurdle.

Even with Edwin, if he has any common sense he would know he wouldn't be here next year, trade or not. Even though he's hitting better than he did last year, it would be tough to justify exercising his option.

Bruce needs to just be gone. I dont care what he's owed. He's untradable and you have to pay that anyway. Just get rid of him and bring up Bishop and see if he can actually play a little. He's easily better in the OF then anyone up here although that bar is high. We are 50 games in, its obvious what this team is, stop pretending.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, Seattle consistently ranks as one of players' favorite places to play.

Not sure if it's the city or the fact that Mariners fans can't heckle other players and they don't have to worry about losing here, lol.

It’s the city. Pro athletes love Seattle once they get here. And they always get the good part of “Seattle” which is the nicer parts of the city then get to do cool stuff outside of down town. Great golf courses and hiking areas which was always appealing to visiting players.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was during the off-season and was part of a longer special. It was like 5 minutes out of a hour half special. Not really much to look it just was a former GM saying his opinion then a former player showed a graphic of all of the trades Jerry has made which was something along the lines of more deals several organizations combined.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s the city. Pro athletes love Seattle once they get here. And they always get the good part of “Seattle” which is the nicer parts of the city then get to do cool stuff outside of down town. Great golf courses and hiking areas which was always appealing to visiting players.

I'd say I'm pretty well traveled since I've been to roughly a dozen or more countries and Seattle really is one of the most beautiful cities I've been, especially when the sun is out. It's too bad that it's being ruined by all the homeless people.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle really is one of the most beautiful cities I've been, especially when the sun is out. It's too bad that it's being ruined by all the homeless people.
And the hyper progressive city council that is ruining the city.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce needs to just be gone. I dont care what he's owed. He's untradable and you have to pay that anyway. Just get rid of him and bring up Bishop and see if he can actually play a little. He's easily better in the OF then anyone up here although that bar is high. We are 50 games in, its obvious what this team is, stop pretending.

I don't think I've pretended or tried to convince myself or others that this team is bad and doesn't have much of a shot of winning more than 75 games.

Assuming that we're on the same page with this, I'd rather keep throwing Jay Bruce out there in the futile attempt that he puts something together that will at least get a team to take a flier and eat a few million of his contract. His 17 home runs over his last 63 games might be enough to get someone to bite and at least take a nibble out of what he is owed. I will admit this is optimistic/borderline delusional on my behalf, but you never know.

It's also probably better off for Branden Bishop to continue getting regular playing time in AAA. If he were called up to the Mariners right now, there isn't really a spot for him aside from as a 4th outfielder which isn't all that beneficial to his development.